RISKING THE SANEF TOLL TAG HEIGHT/WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS?? (1 Viewer)

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Hi there can anyone kindly advise us please?

We are awaiting delivery of our new motorhome, which weighs 5 ton, is just over 3.1 metre high and has 2 axles and is classed as Category 3 vehicle. We are off to Spain at the end of March for 6 weeks and we were hoping to purchase a Sanef Toll Tag for using on the automatic lanes on the French motorways. Unfortunately, it looks like we are too tall and too heavy to use this system but I'm sure I've read posts on here and other forums from members who drive the same size vehicles and yet use the Sanef Tags! I'm presuming they chance it and just hope that they aren't weighed or measured or anything but i just wondered if there is an automatic height barrier fitted to the automated lanes?

Any advice re this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sue x

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't worry about the weight. We're too heavy for it and never have a problem. The booths don't weigh you.

Can't help you with the height though as we sneak in just under 3m

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
we have one which I got for the previous motorhome which was under 3m and under 3.5t but I also tried to use it year before last when we down to south of spain in our then new motorhome. It worked on one toll but the one where you normally take a ticket it just wouldnt work. In the end i had to take a ticket but then it classed me as a 4 and charged me nearly 100 euros. We were also towing a scooter at the time which it thought was another axle which it isnt really.

Ours is around 3.03m tall and 4.5t

Hit and miss for us but be prepared to pay......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
First hurdle is purchasing one. Get in touch with the team in Harrogate and see if you can get past that stage. Link> Sanef Tolling

Hope you have more success than I did!

Hmmm. I think you may have over complicated that for yourself.

I just applied online, the whole process took less than 2 minutes and the tag came in the post about a week later.

OP
OP
Skeggysue

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
We will be having a folding oyster satellite dish on top too. So of course that will add a few more inches to our height too! At a guess I'd say our height will be more like 3.3 metres.

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I suppose it's how transparent you are at the application stage. Clearly it states your vehicle has to be either Class 1 or Class 2. Unfortunately we are 3 axles and fall more often than not into class 4 so never got off the ground. I suppose you could just fill in the application form get the tag and hope all goes well on your travels. For me in the end it wasn't worth the hassle. Good luck!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Good luck Sue. (y)

With all this automatic height and axle configuration measuring, it looks like the days of pressing the button on the intercom and giving it, "Bonjour, je suis un camping-car, classe deux s'il vous plaît" are coming to an end. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Yes I think they are Jock. Even for us, a couple of years ago we would have no problem getting Class 2 on appeal; however, over the past 12 months this has become less so and more often than not they come out waiving a tariff in our noses stating clearly we are in Class 4.
Good luck Sue

Andy

OP
OP
Skeggysue

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Yes it's a bit confusing to say the least Jock.
Don't know if we dare risk it or not?
It's such a shame that they don't offer this system to all uk motorhomes and uk drivers etc ist it? It's a real faff paying at the booths for us right hand side drivers, especially any solo or disabled drivers out there! Never mind, it's all part of the fun I suppose!!!
Sue x

Last edited:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I tend to use the lorry lanes (or the 30 kph lanes on the tolls) and can't imagine that there is any sort of height checking device on those lanes. I would certainly risk it, the initial cost is so,minimal as not to worry about it and I would be very surprised if you have a problem. I am well over the 3.5 tonne limit and have never had a problem.

Mike

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Yes I too was caught last year in France, cost me 100 euros, as the not so lovely lady pointed to the three axles. Stupid thing is we are then classed as the same rate as a 44ton hgv although we are a leisure vehicle! I sure I do not cause as much damage to the road surface with my 5tonnes as does a 44 ton
truck!! .

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
We are 4.5 tonnes and with sat dome & a/c come in at approx 3.2 Mtrs but will use the tag and see what happens,still use it for the smart car so handy either way.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes it's a bit confusing to say the least Jock.
Don't know if we dare risk it or not?
It's such a shame that they don't offer this system to all uk motorhomes and uk drivers etc ist it? It's a real faff paying at the booths for us right hand side drivers, especially any solo or disabled drivers out there! Never mind, it's all part of the fun I suppose!!!
Sue x

There isn't really any risk. If it doesn't work just pay the toll and don't worry about it. Then when you get home return it and get the deposit back. It may end up costing you a few Euros but not enough to worry about.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
just stay off the toll roads,, whats the rush anyway.
go slow and look at the country.
i have no choise costs too much for tolls(y)(y)

For us the demands of customers, employer and school respectively.

When you have a limited amount of time going slow and admiring French roundabouts doesn't hold much appeal. (y)

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Forget about the weight, it's the height that can be a problem. I'm 3.2 and a bit and last year spent four weeks touring around France using toll roads without thought. On each and every occasion l presented at a toll booth, the auto machines classified me as 2.

This year l will get the Tag, and as NickNic says above, if there's a problem now and again, just pay.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The simple answer is you are not entitled to use the tag system as your van is too tall and too heavy, if you want to try to cheat the system that is of course up to you and it would appear that many do, having had a quick read of their T&C's there does seem to be much in the way of retribution if you get caught, termination of your account and loss of deposit which is €20 I think, I don't know if they look to charge you retrospectively for unpaid tolls.

We will carry on avoiding them whenever possible, after all that is an even bigger saving than dropping one class from 3 to 2 with the tag.

Martin

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Height over 3m = Class 3
Weight over 3,500Kgs = Class 3
More than 2 axles and over 3m in height or and over 3,500Kgs = Class 4!
Also if you are two axles but towing a trailer and over 3m tall and/or over 3,500 Kgs its Class 4!

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.htm

That's another reason not to get a tag axle then!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
IMO you are taking too big a risk, you are a class 3 vehicle, pay up or avoid tolls, I would not trust the French authorities not to stamp on you and others if caught

How much money are you looking to save, in the whole scheme of things is it really worth it?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Having travelled back and forth to Spain over several years (in the early Naughties) I can count on one hand the number of tolls used/paid. But that I suppose is the benefit of retirement. No pressure on time, use the N to D roads and "smell the Roses". Use the "tolls" only to avoid the most congested city`s?. For those who cannot. "don't worry, be happy" your time will come, my friends.:):):)

Pete

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
When you can park for free overnight in any numbers of Aires,would the cost of paying class 4 not be recouped times over on holiday ? I am/was a sinner while earning a crust,so all i will say is. " Don't risk it in a HGV lane",because if it does not work,a Trillion lorry hooters will render you deaf for the rest of your holiday and the Toll staff will treat you like Dog S**t.
Its a risk, one worth taking? I think the new toll booths can nearly tell you your inside leg measurement,and,the difference between the class three and four
charge pays for ....ALL the Aires (He lied). LOL.
Tea Bag

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
In the single time we were questioned we just paid and off we went I doubt there is any devine retribution hiding around the corner and as you can move from vehicle to vehicle I don't see anything to be overly concerned over.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't see the relationship between Aires and motorway tolls, unless you are advocating the use of motorway Aires for sleeping on which I understand is not the best idea.

Martin

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Hi, with great experience .... The tag allows you on OK, but if a little over 3 m, you will not be allowed through when you have to pay, so press the intercom and explain you are a 'camper car', if the booth is manned or they realise you have 3 axles they will charge class 4.
So from a lot of experience the Sanef tag had no benefit, sorry .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back