sean

Free Member
Nov 24, 2014
Torquay
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato Carioca 635
Exp
hi all looking at going to France for the first time in August from Plymouth to Rocsof doing a little loop and coming back is there any advice on ferry ect or some good campsite any help would be great many thanks Sean

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
France will be busy in August as I am sure you know! :)

If it's a day sailing we always get a cabin on that route, they only cost about ÂŁ25 and give you somewhere to change and shower etc.

The coastal aires will be very busy I fear but inland you should find space. Have a search on here for CamperContact and download it. Other online resources are available but this is the easiest to use in my experience.

I did a little trip around Brittany last September which might give you some ideas and you will find accounts of other trips in the France section if you rummage around. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/two-go-to-france.115155/

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Sean,
We used an campsite at Brignonan Plages right on the beach , Camping de la cote des legendes a bit basic hedged pitches we were there in sept quite reasonably priced.
A couple of aires worth a visit is Bourg Blanc nice lakeside aire free, toilets no electric.
Lampaul Plouarzel aire 6 euro's a night water/ electric extra , toilets / laundry / showers , parking on sand / grass sort of terraced 150 yrds from beach .
If you need gps etc or any other help , just ask.
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
Hi Sean. We travel to france most years and its amazing. Down load the campercontact app to your phone for all the aires and sites.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
Hi Sean. We travel to france most years and its amazing. Down load the campercontact app to your phone for all the aires and sites.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Most of the bigger Aires will have spaces if you get there around midday - 2 pm. Smaller ones will be full, especially on the coast. There are hundreds of Aires on the coast though, so allow a couple of standbys.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sean

sean

Free Member
Nov 24, 2014
Torquay
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato Carioca 635
Exp
Thanks everyone

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
firebrand campervan
Exp
Hi sean we are often in france and as others have said download campercontact for list of aires. Around brittany there are many many aires some free some not. Generaly coastal ones cost a small amount. You might like to consider all the aires by vicarious books this is also very useful particularly jf you have no internet. We often travel plymouth -roscoff no problems and aires quite close to the port. if you would like a discount on your ticket pm us for brittany member code details should save you about 10%. Have a great time we are normally there end july beggining august ourselves, it is busyier but nothing like august in england..bon chance!

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If you want to be in any of the top resorts on coast you will need to book ASAP!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
If it isn't essential to go in August, why go to France in August as it can be somewhat MANIC !!

Believe me, I know, I lived there for 10 years, I built and owned 2 caravan sites and August was the month I hated as it was totally bonkers.

In some beautiful towns throughout the Dordogne where I lived, it was almost impossible to move and as for the coastal regions, they were total no go areas if you wanted to be able to move around.

Believe me, if you like freedom of choice and freedom of movement I would very strongly suggest you go to this beautiful country in any month other than August.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sean

sean

Free Member
Nov 24, 2014
Torquay
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato Carioca 635
Exp
It's the kids half term this is why I have to goin August thanks for the information tho

Upvote 0

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We have booked a month in France in September, our first French trip as well, havn't a clue where we are going, we will just wander and see where we end up.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
We are over there , France that is, 3 weeks in each June & Sept. Like you not sure where just gonna wander from aire to aire ( most of them will be by water --lake / river / sea & canal) taking our cocker with us for the first time, been 8 times before.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Not sure what all the fuss is about re France in August - when I was teaching most of our trips to the coast had to be late July to August and we managed just fine. Last year we went in August, toured through the Dordogne/Vezere, across to the W Coast (Ile de Re), then up to Disneyland via Fontainebleu and on to Lille for the Braderie weekend (early Sept). No bother at all - no traffic jams, no hold ups for crowds. We stayed on aires most of the time, which are a lot less busy than campsites. Of course Spring and October are less busy but if you choose your destinations carefully in the school holidays and avoid obvious honeypots you can still enjoy it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back