bringing a Hymer back from Germany - any companies willing to insure? (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
The dealer will provide 3rd party but i'd like to get fully comp if possible. does anyone have any suggestions as to which companies if any would do this. The van would not yet be registered in the UK.

cheers

OP
OP
D.ten
Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
no joy with campton, must be registered in the uk first.... although on the off chance i just phoned AIB insurance (the banner is at the top of this thread) and they said yes :)... not getting too excited as they are phoning back with prices which may be astronomical....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Damn, that is unusual. I am surprised they don't to be honest. Glad you are sorted though.

?

Deleted User
Try tempcover. Not sure if they do Europe but worth a call

Broken Link Removed

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
1000's drive back on 3rd party and survive to tell the tale:)
Depending on where it can be less then 4 hrs. Alternatively get company to drive to port for you. Should cost approx 400€ again depending on where it is. Company's have drivers delivering vans all over....

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Aib did my ins from France(aprox ÂŁ350 for a full yrs cover me ans bob to drive) and also did mitchs from spain covering him/ sam and me for full yr again aprox 500 ish
terry

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
from what i have surmised, companies can do it but generally dont want to. the thought of driving back a ÂŁ36K vehicle on 3rd party is not something i want to do.... im getting more risk adverse the older i get - ive even given up basejumping...

There is no legal reason that the insurance cannot be on the chassis number alone. It is just that they A) don't want the aggro ,B) someone is twisting arms to ensure they don't do it.
No problem here insuring anything on a chassis number when re-matriculating & with no time limit.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
That's very expensive cover for the year!

Get it in writing re full comp on export plates..

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I believe that Safeguard will insure it on the VIN number

yes but only from when you hit UK soil...its very unusual to find a UK insurer doing it, why I suggested getting in writing..they can say what they want on the phone:censored:

there is a dutch company that does it and one other apparently, considering Ive imported 9 in over 20 years and 3rd party fine with me..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
That's very expensive cover for the year!
Get it in writing re full comp on export plates..
(y)
How can you say it's expensive at 540 for a full yrs cover when you gave a suggestion of paying someone 400 euro just to deliver van to a port
Mine only cost me ÂŁ350 for the full yr with unlimited WS cover -I could have saved about 25 quid with only ÂŁ1000 WS cover which although a little more than I normally pay considering FComp cover from France to UK 2 drivers and the rest of yr cover I did not think it too bad -I will look for cheaper ins next year ;)
terry
BTW mine was covered on vin /plus French plates

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
When I imported mine I found out that the law had been changed to permit this, but insurance companies chose not to do it. I would beware anyone saying over the phone that they will, as invariably they just sell standard products offered by the underwriters. Get it unambiguously in writing and you're safe, but not before. In the end I paid the dealer to drive it to Calais on their insurance with me riding shotgun, then I took over to squeeze it through the ticket barriers and onto the train :)

Dave

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
@Terry where did I say 400 was reasonable I drive myself total waste of money imo ÂŁ350 a year much more like it. I pay 400 and live in London. Lenny brand new hymer costs under 300

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
NFU did it for me fully comp on the VIN from the moment I paid the invoice, I understand that they only do it for existing clients however.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
@Judge Mental I did not say you said it was reasonable -I said you gave a suggestion of paying 400 euro for someone to drive it to a port ;):D Anyway enough of petty squabbles lots pay more than both you and me and some pay more than the 540 ish for a years cover never mind the from Spain/Germany/France bit of cover ;):rolleyes:
AIB when asked found me the cover I wanted at what I thought was a reasonable price given the problems people have finding ins to cover them when picking a vehicle up :D Daft thing is once it is on UK plates I can drive euro wide for up to 180 days per trip for no extra :)
terry

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Safeguard, on vin/chassis no.
2 weeks grace, or it was when I asked!

OP
OP
D.ten
Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
OK folk here's the update.
Saturday train to Edinburgh, met best mate, Sunday flight to Hamburg, Monday train to Kiel. Met Andreas at Kruger caravan, comprehensive showing of van (found one tiny crack in small plastic trim, replaced instantly). 1.5hrs phaffing about getting export plates, did paperwork, then off to Holland. Got to port 10pm Monday, Holliday inn (mate likes hotels), next day in Harleem, then ferry at 5pm.
Got home, filled out all DVLA docs, local garage wrote letter saying all things legal (headlight changes so simple, Switch in unit for either UK or Europe use). Changed speedo dial myself (1hr max).
Now waiting for DVLA to send docs and off we go.
Anyone thinking of doing this...go for it, easy peasy. Can't recommend Kruger caravan enough, and I get a 1.5yrs warranty on this 2nd hand van.
Cheers a for advice and help.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Swinton! They will insure it fully comp for 30 days on Vin number.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Hmm, just done this myself, though mine was private buy. Went round all the recommended companies (Thanks Motorhome Fun)and none would do fully comp on VIN from pick up point in Southern Germany. A few would from point at which wheels touched dock in UK. Eventually went with the ADAC third party for ten days toodling round Germany and Adrian Flux from Port to home (about 3 hours drive!). They've since said that as the DVLA is taking their time in issuing the reg (not totally their fault, Government gateway Beta testing new security - but thats another story!!) they won't cover me now.
Mine was complicated by the fact its a big van (over 3.5T) but the ease with which things were set up in Germany compared to the parochial nonsense in the UK astonished me. How long have we been in the EU???
Seems crazy to me that the original German owner could insure the van in Germany on his plates and drive anywhere in Europe fully covered, I can insure the exact same van on UK plates and drive it anywhere in Europe fully covered, but swap either driver or plates and the insurance companies in the UK have a fit of the vapours....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:(n)(n)

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hmm, just done this myself, though mine was private buy. Went round all the recommended companies (Thanks Motorhome Fun)and none would do fully comp on VIN from pick up point in Southern Germany. A few would from point at which wheels touched dock in UK. Eventually went with the ADAC third party for ten days toodling round Germany and Adrian Flux from Port to home (about 3 hours drive!). They've since said that as the DVLA is taking their time in issuing the reg (not totally their fault, Government gateway Beta testing new security - but thats another story!!) they won't cover me now.
Mine was complicated by the fact its a big van (over 3.5T) but the ease with which things were set up in Germany compared to the parochial nonsense in the UK astonished me. How long have we been in the EU???
Seems crazy to me that the original German owner could insure the van in Germany on his plates and drive anywhere in Europe fully covered, I can insure the exact same van on UK plates and drive it anywhere in Europe fully covered, but swap either driver or plates and the insurance companies in the UK have a fit of the vapours....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:(n)(n)

EXACTLY! You can't make it up can you!lol And we are supposedly in a common/open market! for now anyway. your problems with importing CAN start at this end..the rest a breeze. Imagine if we get an out decision:(

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
OK folk here's the update.
Saturday train to Edinburgh, met best mate, Sunday flight to Hamburg, Monday train to Kiel. Met Andreas at Kruger caravan, comprehensive showing of van (found one tiny crack in small plastic trim, replaced instantly). 1.5hrs phaffing about getting export plates, did paperwork, then off to Holland. Got to port 10pm Monday, Holliday inn (mate likes hotels), next day in Harleem, then ferry at 5pm.
Got home, filled out all DVLA docs, local garage wrote letter saying all things legal (headlight changes so simple, Switch in unit for either UK or Europe use). Changed speedo dial myself (1hr max).
Now waiting for DVLA to send docs and off we go.
Anyone thinking of doing this...go for it, easy peasy. Can't recommend Kruger caravan enough, and I get a 1.5yrs warranty on this 2nd hand van.
Cheers a for advice and help.
Well done, although the insurance cost was reasonable for getting it back it might be worth changing companies once registered as ÂŁ540 is about twice the going rate for your van.

Do you get written confirmation of the comprehensive cover for driving it back?

OP
OP
D.ten
Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
Ahh but I only have 3 yes ncd on a motorhome so they said this was the reason along with 2 other named drivers. I will check out others though as it may be worth my while losing whatever it costs to leave current insurance company and go with another.

Oh Lenny, any chance of those lexan details.
:)

OP
OP
D.ten
Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
I got an email confirmation from the company stating it was fully comp