lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Since it was a nice sunny day I thought I'd tackle the job of the refillable gas system, must say its a bit daunting drilling a hole in your brand new van I always remember though cut twice measure once or something like that.

Firstly stripped down the inside to make sure no cables or support beans in the way, the only small issue was the gas pipe prevents me from getting the filler at the exact same hight as the other two the fact they're not close to each other means it doesn't look out of place.

Spirit level through window so I can be sure my measurement is same inside as out.
image.jpeg

Tape up and marked to save scratching or slipping.
image.jpeg

Hole cut and wee lug holes cut top and bottom
image.jpeg

Could get them the exact same hight due to internal gas pipe.
image.jpeg

Birdseye view pipe comes into van in different locker then filler pipe runs along back of unit and inside of van before coming out at gas locker.
image.jpeg

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Cripes...

You should have paid a slave to do that for you while you went off for a round of golf!

JJ :cool:
With the money I've saved in paying the slave I can afford two rounds now :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: JJ
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Very bum squeaky moment isn't it Gerry ....cutting into a brand new van ?!
But at least you've got it over with now ! (y)

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Very bum squeaky moment isn't it Gerry ....cutting into a brand new van ?!
But at least you've got it over with now ! (y)
It certainly is, I think if i did a van like yours i would take about 2 years as I must have measured and measured it. It actually took me all morning to measure and 2 seconds to drill.

A bit like sex really all morning to think about it then its over before you know :D:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's bad enough ... you want to try drilling a hole through the roof of a PVC for a solar panel cable ... it's NOT easy to work out exactly where it needs to go due to all the curves and insulation etc ... now that was MORE than a bit 'bum squeaky'!!!! o_O

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Could have drilled hole though floor and fitted on L bracket on sill...

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The only extra hole I drilled on mine was on the aluminium skirt and that was bum squeaky enough (y) I used part of one of the two existing vents to put the pipe through to the gas cupboard and frankly don't care of its not approved of. The less holes drilled the better IMHO.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
That's bad enough ... you want to try drilling a hole through the roof of a PVC for a solar panel cable ... it's NOT easy to work out exactly where it needs to go due to all the curves and insulation etc ... now that was MORE than a bit 'bum squeaky'!!!! o_O
Im doing a Satellite dish nest so might be a bit more scary, need to watch out for cross members i suppose.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
lorger - only one thing to do now IMV - put some pipe lagging round the gas inlet pipe where it comes through the cupboard back to avoid it chaffing in transit and maybe a secure it to the back panel about midway so that it can't 'waggle' up and down.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Im doing a Satellite dish nest so might be a bit more scary, need to watch out for cross members i suppose.
Oh yes! I once had to drill a large hole to put a 'through the roof' telescopic aerial on our then Rapido ... lots of pushing and 'feeling' for resistance on the ceiling to try to work out where the struts were and then measured up and transferred my findings to the roof ... that was the easy bit! I started to make the large hole from the outside (ie on the roof) and I took it very slowly and kept stopping and examining the hole which was a good thing as right where I was drilling they had, for some unknown reason, run electric cable for lights even though there were none in the vicinity and it wasn't an obvious 'cable' run area!!! Once the small end of the hole cutter had gone through and I'd moved the cables out of harms way, I then finished cutting from the inside in order to get a neat finish.

So ... watch out for struts AND cables!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back