weeks holiday in a rental motorhome (1 Viewer)

Malcolm stead

Free Member
Oct 10, 2015
oxon
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
hi there the wife and myself have hired a motorhome in april before we take the plunge and buy one, can anyone recommend a nice week around the Norfolk area, or a week touring wales any input will be most welcome thanks Malcolm@ sheila

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Malcolm, best of luck with the motorhome hire, I'm sure you'll get the motorhome bug, we all did. :) I know we have a few members in the Norfolk area, maybe they've not seen this yet, this post will bring your question back to he top (y)

Fat Rat

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 664
Exp
Hello Malcolm and Sheila,
We live in West Wales so are probably biased on this part of the country. However, we have travelled around Norfolk and our favourite destination was Cromer. The only problem we found with Norfolk is it is quite flat, we like mountains (obviously), but for a 'Newbie' it would probably be a better drive. Driving around Wales can be quite an adventure and it is better that you have a good knowledge of your vehicle, not just the size but will it get around tight bends and up steep hills which would make you 'breathe in' driving your car :whew:
As you are centrally based, you could travel via the Malverns, across the M50 and deep into the Brecon Beacons, the world is your's. Have fun whatever you choose.::bigsmile:

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We are in Norfolk up the coast from Cromer in Sheringham. We are shortly to buy our first motorhome and plan to camp for a few days in Aylmerton which looks a nice site. Lots of lovely coastline and pubs around here in North norfolk. You could stop at Blakeney and take a boat ride to Blakeney Head to see the seal colony which is a great experience. Wells next the Sea is- lovely town further up. All very rural and calm. Enjoy xx

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
We hired in 2013 and went to Brittany as we wanted to be more sure of better weather !
Bought last year but not been abroad in it yet, partly due to time constraints (still working) and partly the problems in Calais. We have had a couple of trips around Wales which is superb, loved Pembrokeshire. I also want to get to Norfolk, Devon / Cornwall, Northumberland, Scotland, Ireland and south coast so not short of destinations !
Just go and enjoy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fat Rat

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 664
Exp
If visiting Ireland be prepared for not being able to stop in a lot of places. Did the Ring of Kerry the year before last and nearly every parking area en route was height restricted and the condition of the road was horrendous. We have family in Waterford and so travel there often and the roads are much better with a new Motorway but still only places to stop are in town or much larger car parks. Not like Wales at all, as you can pretty much stop anywhere and there are lay-bys everywhere. We have had people stopping at the top of our road (we live 800 ft up) and you regularly see camper vans/motorhomes parked up for the night. The best ones, are when they park in a passing bay (our roads are single lanes) and get their deckchairs out. Can't blame them as the views are spectacular :roflmto:

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
If your holiday doesn't fall within school holidays why not wait till you can get an weather forecast then make up your mind East or West.That's what it's all about.

BevB

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie.
If visiting Ireland be prepared for not being able to stop in a lot of places. Did the Ring of Kerry the year before last and nearly every parking area en route was height restricted and the condition of the road was horrendous. We have family in Waterford and so travel there often and the roads are much better with a new Motorway but still only places to stop are in town or much larger car parks. Not like Wales at all, as you can pretty much stop anywhere and there are lay-bys everywhere. We have had people stopping at the top of our road (we live 800 ft up) and you regularly see camper vans/motorhomes parked up for the night. The best ones, are when they park in a passing bay (our roads are single lanes) and get their deckchairs out. Can't blame them as the views are spectacular :roflmto:

Hi fellow funster "fatrat"...
Do you have any more advice on touring Southern Ireland? Only off for 8 days and could use some tips... We really fancy the Ring of Kerry... Waterford, Cork, Killarny, Wicklow????? Many thanks Bev...

BevB

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Thanks Bluemooner, but looking for places in Southern Ireland. ..
I'm on it, exciting stuff this planning ;)

Apr 9, 2015
🇵🇹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
We were in north Norfolk over Christmas and new year - Wells, Holme, Burnham Market, Brancaster all nice places to visit with lots of country/coastal walks and cosy pubs. There is a good campsite on the Sandringham estate and the old Royal Station at Wolferton is worth a visit. All of course IMHO!!
Wherever you end up, I hope you enjoy your adventure.

Fat Rat

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 664
Exp
Hello Bev,

If landing in Rosslare by ferry, visit Wexford and then onto New Ross (worth a visit is the Dunbrody famine ship http://www.dunbrody.com) then onto Waterford City. All fine for my motorhome and plenty of parking on the river front. I normally stay on the N25 all the way as nice and easy. Dunmore East is a small coastal town http://www.discoverdunmore.com/ and can be very busy during holiday season but plenty of places to park and lots of coves to visit along that stretch of sea. My family live here so I'm quite biased on this area.
If visiting Kerry you must stay at Mannix Point campsite, Cahersiveen as it is probably the best for views. www.campinginkerry.com Everyone is always very welcoming where ever you visit and I don't normally book in advance and had no problems. Hopefully the roads have improved since I did Kerry last,otherwise, make sure everything is strapped down :eek: Have fun. Karen

BevB

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hello Bev,

If landing in Rosslare by ferry, visit Wexford and then onto New Ross (worth a visit is the Dunbrody famine ship http://www.dunbrody.com) then onto Waterford City. All fine for my motorhome and plenty of parking on the river front. I normally stay on the N25 all the way as nice and easy. Dunmore East is a small coastal town http://www.discoverdunmore.com/ and can be very busy during holiday season but plenty of places to park and lots of coves to visit along that stretch of sea. My family live here so I'm quite biased on this area.
If visiting Kerry you must stay at Mannix Point campsite, Cahersiveen as it is probably the best for views. www.campinginkerry.com Everyone is always very welcoming where ever you visit and I don't normally book in advance and had no problems. Hopefully the roads have improved since I did Kerry last,otherwise, make sure everything is strapped down :eek: Have fun. Karen

Hi Karen... thanks for the pointers, l make lists and Google recommendations. .. Waterford is on the agenda.. thanks for the references... Mannix Point looks interesting .. Just going to Google Dunmore ;)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
See now you are heading for Ireland we manged a dry sunny 2 week trip there last year.
I usually suggest hiring in rotten weather at sites with few facilities, if you love it the motorhome life is for you. Not a great idea though if only one of you is enthusiastic. In that case, research places to fit in with interests and make sure your own hotel is first class.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
weve found norfokl especially the north to be motorhome unfriendly much prefer suffolk a week would be ideal to work your way up from felixstow woodbridge orfordness aldeburgh southwold thorpeness kessingland lowestoft

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back