Truma C6002 not warm enough (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Can anyone suggest what is going wrong with our heating?
The heating when on gas only with a temp setting of 7, 8 or 9 (I have tried all of them) starts up and a light flow of warm air comes out, then every 20 seconds or so it attempts to blow harder and sounds like a jet engine but this lasts anything from one second to at most 10 seconds. While this is happening a red light starts to flash next to the green light on the controller.
The warm air continues to flow out but is insufficient to heat up the van. After 1.5 hours the van had warmed up 10C from 6 to 16C.
It is clearly trying to perform some sort of boosted heated airflow but cuts out.
We have changed to lpg refillable system from Gas -it if that has any bearing.

Thanks for any suggestions

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The 'turbo' on ours only works when you have the Truma set on the highest setting to operate on both gas and mains electricity at the same time. So you can have it on gas only, elec only, or both. The red light is probably telling you the 'turbo' has failed because you aren't on EHU but you have it on that setting - it increases the capacity from X Kw to Y Kw if you have it on both.

I think I'd want it on both, at this time of year cos I'm a delicate hothouse flower, me!

Meanwhile, put the oven on and open the door!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
My understanding is that the red light only comes on if there's an issue with the gas.
The distribution fan is either working or not.. sounds like it's working but you have possibly a gas problem.
If you're under warranty you're good.. if not and you know a good fitter then great.
Otherwise you might want to try calling Truma tech support ..and if they can't help book it in with them...
I've used them before and they are great

While you're checking around it would be good to check that all your distribution hoses are connected correctly. They can have a tendency to pop out of the boiler and heat up the space around it causing a few issues. I've used high temp sealant to keep them in place

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
DON'T whatever you do put the oven on and open the door like Sedge suggests without plenty of ventilation which will defeat the object of warming your van, you will end up very dead from CO2 poisoning.

I am about to give her a bollocking for suggesting you do such a stupid thing as that.

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for replies.
If its an issue with the gas, is the problem with the gas-it installation in terms of are the valves / supply line / regulator smaller or lower capacity than Calor?
Although I think the regulator was the same one.

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
The 'turbo' on ours only works when you have the Truma set on the highest setting to operate on both gas and mains electricity at the same time. So you can have it on gas only, elec only, or both. The red light is probably telling you the 'turbo' has failed because you aren't on EHU but you have it on that setting - it increases the capacity from X Kw to Y Kw if you have it on both.

I think I'd want it on both, at this time of year cos I'm a delicate hothouse flower, me!

Meanwhile, put the oven on and open the door!

Hi, I think our truma units may be different.
we have 4 options
Electric 60 degrees Water only
Electric 40 degrees Water only both known as "Summer settings"
Then
Gas heating only
Gas hot water and heating

I think the heating should work as follows
when you turn it on it blasts out hot air until the van reaches the temp associated with the settings on the controller (1-9) then moves to a "maintenance" flow at a lesser rate. We are only getting the lower flow and it aint warming it up enough.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Eat mushy peas and light the farts :)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Its not right, maybe not enough gas, or a fault. Mine comes on with slow fan ubtil its warmed itself up then the fan speeds up until the van is hotter then later drops back to slow blow.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Light a gas ring before you switch on the truma. Note the height and power of the gas ring, watch this as you activate the heater, if there is a drop in the gas ring performance you have a gas suppy issue. First stop must be the regulator, some or the LPG bulk supplies seem to contain paraffin wax that affects the regulator diaphragm. I do not think it is possible to dismantle and clean the regulator so swaping it may be your only option. Truma do sell a filter specifically for this problem.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks Traveller. Just tried lighting the gas ring first and no alteration to flame but... the truma takes ages before attempting to boost and switches straight back down again immediately on each attempt to boost up.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Thanks Traveller. Just tried lighting the gas ring first and no alteration to flame but... the truma takes ages before attempting to boost and switches straight back down again immediately on each attempt to boost up.
So this is different to when the gas ring is not on is it, If I understand you correctly it is worse when something else is using gas at the same time. If that is the case then either change the regulator or borrow a bottle with a different regulator and try that first.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
As I assume you are not on ehu I suggest you monitor the battery voltage. It could be that as the fan speed goes to full speed, drawing 4-5 amps, the voltage may drop too low to sustain it, in which case its a battery problem.

I think this could be the problem as looking at the instructions for the c6002 a flashing red light indicates too low voltage.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Hi, I think our truma units may be different.
we have 4 options
Electric 60 degrees Water only
Electric 40 degrees Water only both known as "Summer settings"
Then
Gas heating only
Gas hot water and heating

I think the heating should work as follows
when you turn it on it blasts out hot air until the van reaches the temp associated with the settings on the controller (1-9) then moves to a "maintenance" flow at a lesser rate. We are only getting the lower flow and it aint warming it up enough.

I don't think your understanding of the controls is quite right.
The problem is that Truma insist on using the same symbol for heating as they do for gas selection.

I think it should be as follows
60 degree water only
40 degree water only
Heating only
Heating and hot water (the fact that there is a little flame on these last two indicates heating - not gas)

There should then either be a separate switch or rotary dial which allows you to select either gas only, elec only or on some models gas and elec together.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Took a quick pic of our instruction sheet
20160215_111158.jpg

Definitely check that all your air duct pipes are connected.
I'm still pretty sure a red light is gas not lit.

A call to truma tech will probably resolve it. They will get you to hold the phone near the boiler. They may also ask you to disconnect the thermostat.
Tel 01283 586020

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
A steady red light indicates a gas problem, and as already mentioned above, a flashing red light indicates a low voltage problem. It's the same through most of the Truma range of heaters/boilers, and also applies to the Truma 2400 cab heater. You may have a loose connection, if the batteries are good.

I sometimes get a flashing red light on our 2400 cab heater, despite the batteries reading 12.7v or above, however, it still works a treat.

Good luck with the problem. (y)

Jock. :)

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Many thanks for the replies.
Work now gets in the way for the next couple of days, but will get back to it shortly. I will also come back with whatever solution worked (assuming one does) electric or gas or something else.

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Rang Truma and they think its a voltage problem (12v), faulty connection or similar. Also with this particular model all four blowers must be kept open otherwise it overheats.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Do Not Use any part of cooker for heating as trophychap says there's a very high risk of CO2 poisoning.

John.
CO2 is not poisonous. CO is poisonous. CO2 is so much heavier than air that it sinks to the floor and will in all likelihood fall out of the various gas drop holes. If it doesn't it will slowly fill the van to the roof and in doing so displace all the oxygen. As it rises to head height you will suffocate. Some time before this happens it will of course extinguish the oven thus preventing suffocation. And just before this happens the oven flames, partially starved of oxygen, will start to give off CO. Which as I said at the start is poisonous. A lot has to happen before using the oven to help warm the van becomes dangerous. The real danger is after turning on the oven you then take a nap. The oven is just as dangerous (or not) when used correctly.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I want a right kick up the Arse for that mistake Tony, as I'm a recently retired heating engineer, I blame the Rioja.

John.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
We had this problem with our AutoTrail - same boiler. It turned out to be a 12v power supply problem. Whilst a meter showed 12v on the cable to the heater when I connected a 12v 55w headlamp bulb it would not light. Had to rewire and once the power was back the heater performance returned.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I had the flashing red light problem a couple of times about 2 years ago. It was when the previous pair of habitation batteries were reaching the end of their service life. With 'everything on' in the winter, the voltage at the Truma input terminals was falling below the warning point. Once I had fitted new batteries and cleaned the spade terminals on the Truma with a bit of emery paper for good measure, the problem went away.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
In this case it appears to have been the PCB that was faulty and after following Truma advice replaced the cable to no avail it was then necessary to replace the PCB, now working and I hope it remains so.
Nice one. Did you get a good service from Truma.
I ask because on the two occasions I've used them I got excellent service and think good service should be recognised. (As should bad service of course)

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Resurrecting this thread to ask my own "is this normal?" question.

My Hymer B544 has the Truma System as described above.

The distribution of heat, even on 9(max) is fairly uneven (but I'd understand if it were normal).

So, when it's really blasting out hot air (full aicraft engine mode), there is HOT air in the habitation door-well and under the shoe-cupboard (also in the entrance).
At the front of the van the air-flow is much less and "tepid". I can understand that the rudimentary pipework doesn't lend itself to a balanced flow, not without some sophisticated baffles..etc.
The "Hot-spots" are within 3 feet of the boiler, but I thought I'd check.

Maybe other get an equal flow of equally warm air at every nozzle.

Is this normal?

Note. Clearly the hot air in the entrance area is only about 10 feet from the lounge so it's not as if the van won't get warm, I just thought it would be nice having that hot air blown on my feet.

Thanks.

Lee at www.gohumberto.com

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back