Has anyone used the Amsterdam City Camp? (1 Viewer)

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Greetings all.
We want to go and see the International Gardening Photography of the Year exhibition- half of it is showing at Kew Gardens and the other half is at Hortus Botanicus in Amsterdam centre. We are looking for a short break- hotels and flights very expensive so was wondering if anyone has been to this camp- the net says you can't book it so that might be an issue as there is not much alternative parking; but it looks cheap and is very near the centre- just a free ferry ride away.
We will be taking bikes so can get to the exhibition if the ferry takes pushbikes.

Have been to Holland in the van before -but years ago when we were new to motor homing; so think we will be ok getting there - but again any advice gratefully received. The City Camp seems a new idea?

Exhibition is on from April to September- if anyone has any tips for best/quietest time to go we will be very grateful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35476291 is the link if there are any other garden lovers/photography buff who may have missed it.

Cheers !
kirsten

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Kirsten

Amsterdam City Camp scored 7.9/10 on Campercontact

There are also 177 reviews too, all translated into English

Broken Link Removed

And there is a video guide too

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We were there end of last year, perfect for getting into Amsterdam, easy to find, secure, electric, water and dump point, cost us €22 including WiFi per night. Free ferry to the centre is only 10 minutes walk away and runs every 30 minutes.

It's not a great location with views, it's what it is, which is a convenient place to stop for Amsterdam.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

fleurette

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I640 SD
Exp
Hi Kirsten,
We stayed last year on the site, very good for ease of access into Amsterdam and no problems with getting the bikes on the ferry, in fact you feel out of place without a bike. The site access is easy to use and there is a chap that is on site most of the time if you should encounter any problems. The area its self is on the site of the old shipyards and nice to have a walk around the old buildings which are now used as small workshops and art outlets. Enjoy your stay there as this is Amsterdam after all(y)

OP
OP
Kirsten

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you all so much!! Will feel much more confident turning up now, and I will look at the camper contact link in future[ and later today when I have escaped the gardening... not that anything here looks in slightest like the photos at the exhibition- sigh!!]

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Yeah we stayed there 6 months ago perfect for Amsterdam City Centre and free ferries across as well also very secure.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have used it twice and both times they had plenty of spaces so shouldn't think it will be a problem. The ticket is for 24hours so depending on when you want to leave you can work it out so your not paying for an extra day.

?

Deleted User
Are the ferries running all night?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Are the ferries running all night?
I'm sure they do, I think it's every 15 minutes until a certain time then every 30 minutes until certain time then every hour. I may be wrong it has been known in the past, I know we got the ferry back about 23:00

OP
OP
Kirsten

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you everyone .. I have booked a Friday off work and booked le tunnel- was much cheaper than I expected [£146 huzzah] So long weekend in June here we come [?go/] not taken van on the shuttle before - was always twice the ferry fare. But lots more crossing times and we will eat on train in van . Now only worry will be the roads On Route as last time we went it was a pothole with the odd bit of road around it. xxx K

Crusty jack

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 640
Exp
Since1994
Or you could try Camping Zeeburg, one of our all time favourites with good access to the centre by bike or tram. The site has water on 3 sides but take care to avoid the low bridge, easily avoided. Toby Trux.

?

Deleted User
Thank you everyone .. I have booked a Friday off work and booked le tunnel- was much cheaper than I expected [£146 huzzah] So long weekend in June here we come [?go/] not taken van on the shuttle before - was always twice the ferry fare. But lots more crossing times and we will eat on train in van . Now only worry will be the roads On Route as last time we went it was a pothole with the odd bit of road around it. xxx K
Hope you have a loo on your van as this site has no loo or shower and not sure if you can pay cash. Just fired an e mail to them asking about paying cash as it seems manless and what time last ferry into town is.

?

Deleted User
Or you could try Camping Zeeburg, one of our all time favourites with good access to the centre by bike or tram. The site has water on 3 sides but take care to avoid the low bridge, easily avoided. Toby Trux.
That looks a better choice for me or anyone with a van with no loo. Two nights in August starts at £58.

OP
OP
Kirsten

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks again- will look at Zeeburg as well but yes we are fully independent re washing and showering and toilet. City camp has grey waste and I assume black, a lot depends on the distance I have to bike. And had a VERY bad experience with low bridge [on one way street ] in Italy once. Still scarred.. xx

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have stayed at Zeeburg also and although I liked the site I would say unless you need site facilities then there's no point paying extra plus if I remember correctly you had to pay for showers and hot water for dishes at Zeeburg.

?

Deleted User
We have stayed at Zeeburg also and although I liked the site I would say unless you need site facilities then there's no point paying extra plus if I remember correctly you had to pay for showers and hot water for dishes at Zeeburg.

Shower gets me. I go to Trier camp site and have to pay for the shower yet Cochem what i would say is a better tourist trap the showers are free. Saying that is was only a couple of €'s so no great deal breaker but i like an all in price when asking/quoted.

?

Deleted User
Thanks again- will look at Zeeburg as well but yes we are fully independent re washing and showering and toilet. City camp has grey waste and I assume black, a lot depends on the distance I have to bike. And had a VERY bad experience with low bridge [on one way street ] in Italy once. Still scarred.. xx

Google says 5.5km to Zeeburg and 3.5 to City Camp. Zeeburg is also in a night but route.

?

Deleted User
Just fired an e mail to them asking about paying cash as it seems manless and what time last ferry into town is.

Not quite answered but i am presuming Ferry runs all night from this and pay by plastic only.

Dear Hunk,

Thre are 2 ferry's, one runs day and night.

We dont accept cash.

kind regards

Raoul van Oosterwijck

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Last year we stayed at Delfste Houte in Delft and got the train up to Amsterdam. Nice site in parkland, lovely town.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I wish we'd used the City site last year when we went to Amsterdam. Instead we opted for Het Amsterdamse Bos, which is a nice enough site but it takes ages to get into the city centre by bus and/or train from there, and it's a long bike ride. If you're going in April watch out for the Koningsdag weekend - it'll get very busy.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not quite answered but i am presuming Ferry runs all night from this and pay by plastic only.
Only just caught up with this thread, and as no one as answered your question I will throw this in , I presume you are talking about the city camp ferry , if so its free, don't need any cards, and as I remember it was going late at night but don't know exactly when it stops, but as always, mind the bikes!

?

Deleted User
Only just caught up with this thread, and as no one as answered your question I will throw this in , I presume you are talking about the city camp ferry , if so its free, don't need any cards, and as I remember it was going late at night but don't know exactly when it stops, but as always, mind the bikes!

Ah sorry Chaser i was not clear enough. When i say pay by plastic only this was the site not the ferry.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We spend a about 40 nights a year in Amsterdam, always use zeeburg. 30 mins on the bike into town, close to the bus and tram system, and the place just has a great 'feel and buzz' around it .

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We also used Zeeburg. Popular with young hippy types. Also good is Gaasper Camping. Its a way out of the city in a lovely park, ideal for dogs, and a 5min walk to the Metro station to take you into the city.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back