Step recess drain holes (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
following on from our Tsunami post on another thread (we have had a shower overflow for those that did not see that one)

Came back from a walk and noticed small damp area on floor near door, lifted out mat in internal step area and found this

IMG_1492.JPG

not overly clear from here but about an inch of water stood in well

fished around expecting to find blocked drain holes and found fitted plugs

IMG_1493.JPG
IMG_1494.JPG

I was able to push them up fairly easily from underneath

Question, would you refit them? (I have for now) but would it not be better for any water that does get in to get out again, there can surely only be a limited amount of water that can get in from the road through 2 x 8mm holes and it would go straight back out anyway

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
But David, the question should be - How did the water get there in the first place? Is your door seal OK?

If you leave the plugs out you will/might get water coming in from road spray.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
But David, the question should be - How did the water get there in the first place? Is your door seal OK?

Keep up at the back Sandra :LOL: the tsunami came from our shower

see below copied from our other thread

'Moving on from there with more and more twists and turns, we got 1 mile from Mende and suddenly heard an almighty cascade of water, turned to see a mini tsunami heading forwards towards us

Stopped at roadside and realised a towel had dropped in the shower, landed on the shower handle which lowers to turn on, you can guess the rest

Actually you cant, to avoid issues with smells coming back from the grey tank we push down the shower plugs before travelling, now you can guess for yourselves

It probably took a few minutes for the shower to fill unnoticed by us in the front, then a left hand bend sent most of the contents under the door on their way to us

Thank goodness for under floor heating and access to water on the aire (y)(y), but at least we have a freshly cleaned floor :)'

still not sure if road related wetness would come in though, but if plugs removed it would at least go out again (y):)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
But David, the question should be - How did the water get there in the first place?

The bloody shower overflowed due to turning itself on in transit, that caused this issue

My question was, would surface water get in through 8mm holes?

I still don't know :LOL:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
It might do! We had water in the bottom of our step a while ago, at each side of the step well is a vent but water splashed up going through large puddles got through the vent into the footwell.
The solution I used was to fix top hinged rubber flaps over the Outside of the vent as a sort of one way valve, so air can circulate but water can't get in. 18 months on and the well is still dry.
I suppose you could leave the drain plugs out, but fix something loosely over the holes outside so water will drain out but not get splashed in.
Then, your Hymer step will be as dry as my Autosleepers! :whistle:

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
We have same step arrangement in our hymer. Never had plugs in from when we had van, 15k miles later not had a problem. Our door is not next to a road wheel so does not get all spray from a wheel. Hope that helps.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Open drain holes in our Chausson step from new so presume that's how it is meant to be...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back