Alde Fluid Level - Getting a bit worried (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
When cold the fluid level in my header tank is within the max / min marks, at about two fifths of the way up the tank. When hot it is getting close to completely full, just a smidgen of air above. The last thing I want is it overflowing from the breather pipe; very messy. Any constructive comments / advice?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ours is just above min when cold, and yes it does rise but stays in the reservoir. If it's coming up more than you think it should it might be worth trying to bleed a couple of rads and see if there is any air in the system (air will expand more than water when it warms up)

Martin

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Don't know if this is any help to you but just checked our Alde manual and it says fluid should only be 1cm above min mark when the system is cold.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks @funflair that sound worth a try. In this cooler weather we use the engine heat exchanger to warm the van and water as we travel. I would like to think that any air in the system gets pumped around, finds its way into the header tank and is discharged up the breather pipe, but perhaps I am wishing for too much.

Since posting I tried running the engine preheat pump for five minutes and the level dropped about 1 cm but not sure why.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks @funflair that sound worth a try. In this cooler weather we use the engine heat exchanger to warm the van and water as we travel. I would like to think that any air in the system gets pumped around and finds its way into the header tank and is discharged up the breather pipe, but perhaps I am wishing for too much.

Since posting I tried running the engine preheat pump for five minutes and the level dropped about 1 cm but not sure why.
Because you cooled the Alde system by running cold engine water through the heat exchanger I guess.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks @funflair that sound worth a try. In this cooler weather we use the engine heat exchanger to warm the van and water as we travel. I would like to think that any air in the system gets pumped around and finds its way into the header tank and is discharged up the breather pipe, but perhaps I am wishing for too much.

Would be nice if it did but the pipes from the header go down to the boiler in the floor or wherever it is so the radiators are the highest point and that's where the air is going to stay.

Martin

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Would be nice if it did but the pipes from the header go down to the boiler in the floor or wherever it is so the radiators are the highest point and that's where the air is going to stay.

Martin
You are of course correct. I guess I shall have to go hunting for bleed valves at the highest point(s).

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You are of course correct. I guess I shall have to go hunting for bleed valves at the highest point(s).
Happy hunting(y)

There should be a rubber fitting on the end of each radiator/convector with the bleed valve in it(or there is on ours).

If it gets cold enough to put ours on tonight I will see how high it goes.

Martin

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Just had a look and found two reasonably accessible valves that must be in the highest place. We have a double bed above the garage and there is a pipe that rises at each side and travels across the bed head just under the mattress; the valves are in each corner. Should I heat the system then bleed or do it when it is cold? Sorry to have to ask but I don't have the instructions with me.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hot or cold doesn't matter but switch it off whilst bleeding.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not really cold enough, but with a little bit of heat in the system ours has gone up about 20 mm.

Sorry but I'm not wishing it to get any colder just to check.

Martin

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Not really cold enough, but with a little bit of heat in the system ours has gone up about 20 mm.

Sorry but I'm not wishing it to get any colder just to check.

Martin
No problem. Thanks for trying. It sounds as if you are somewhere warmer than Somerset :).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back