When I turn 70 can I still drive my 3900 van? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
As the title asks will I be able to continue? What have people done who don't want to down size to a 3500 kg or less? Have just bought ours and wanted it for years! (Am 62)

Last edited:
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I shouldn't worry if I were you, you will have worn it out by then ;)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
See a similar thread here. Sorry can't seem yo link it but do a search for the thread that was very recently running.

C1 Class thingy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
By the time you reach 70, you may feel better about downsizing.
I think there are health questions to answer, but someone will be along to verify this. Best wishes, Pat (y)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Of course you will still be able to drive it.
Whether DVLA (or whatever they will be named in 8yrs time) will let you, That's a different Q.
At the mo. three months before your 70th birthday you have to pass a medical (which includes an optical test) and you send that off to Swansea where, depending on their mood, they will either agree that you are fitter than them, or they will bu&&er about with your application, giving you the angina you didn't have in the first place.

It's 8yrs away. What could possibly go wrong.
Your Licence will last three years and then you will have to go through the whole rigmarole again?

PS. You will realise that you've therefore got to keep at the peak of physical fitness.
I still do my 'physical jerks' every day. :whistle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I didn't know it was just a medical I needed. That's a relief thanks.
Clearly if I'm deemed unfit to drive then I prefer not to!
I was worried I'd be forced to down size
Just out of interest are there vans that weigh less than 3500 with a fixed bed?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
There are but....... Payload often suffers. So you will need to be careful of adding too many factory fit options (just changing the paint to grey on my Hymer added 30kg!) and may not have enough allowance to carry things that you think you may need.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010

There are loads of vans out there at 3500 or less with a fixed bed. What is pertinent to check though is the payload of them (but then this applies to vans without a fixed bed too).

ETA - peterc10 beat me to it!

Deleted User
Lots of PVC's with fixed beds, Globecar, Autosleeper......

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I didn't know it was just a medical I needed. That's a relief thanks.
Clearly if I'm deemed unfit to drive then I prefer not to!
I was worried I'd be forced to down size

Look at my Avatar.

It 'was' a 3500kgs 'van with single beds, seperate shower, etc etc (I'm still in love with it:inlove:)
But, because we've added an awning, a bike rack, a solar panel, an extra battery and a microwave, we increased the MGW to 3650Kgs to avoid being over it's Gross.

Having said that, fully fitted out for a Euro trip with fuel and water (admittedly not full) we were over the 3500Kgs by 20Kgs so no drama

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Don't worry about it. Twelve months or so before your 70 get yourself a young wife with a driving licence with C1 on it. Simples innitt! ;):LOL:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Don't worry about it. Twelve months or so before your 70 get yourself a young wife with a driving licence with C1 on it. Simples innitt! ;):LOL:

SWMBO might??? have something to say about that.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My previous Motorhome was an Adria Coral 660SL. 7.23m long with two fixed single beds and plated at 3500kg. That had about 450kg of payload after taking into account the factory fit extras. That was just enough for us to have all that we needed for a month or two away, plus 2 electric bikes and tables chairs etc in the garage and a full tank of water whilst still staying within its MAM.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I'm over 70 with a 4.5 ton Carthago.
Providing you are reasonably fit there are no problems, apart from the faf of having a medical every 3 years.

I booked a medical with our GP surgery which cost me about £100 (there are cheaper alternatives if you look on-line). What I got was a very thorough check up, which is not a bad thing to have when approaching 'three score years and ten'. :(
The doctor couldn't do the eyesight test so I went to our usual opticians who looked at my records and filled in the form while I waited, without charge.
Sent it all to the DVLA just before Christmas and got the new licence back within three weeks.

What on earth had I worried about? :)

Richard.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
30kg of primer and paint......that must equate to 45ltrs :Eeek:...or did they leave the spray gun, hose and spare paimt in a locker.
Dunno I am afraid. Unlike the standard white it is metallic which I am told is heavier because there are more layers. The 30kg figure is in Hymer's brochure and also was confirmed by a dealer I was talking to, who happened to be a paint spray shop manager in a previous job.

Either way the paint is applied to the panels before they are fitted to the motorhome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back