keithnallen

Free Member
Feb 12, 2016
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo Time 690G
Exp
Don't know if the details of this site have been posted before...

There's a good website showing photos and details of 8500 aires in France and 11500+ in other countries. It's in French, but pretty easy to use. There's even an Android app, or a USB stick available with all the data on it, both of which can be used without an Internet connection.

The main site is at http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

Click on "cliquez pour entrer" in the middle of the page, then at left click on "chercher/ajouter une aire". Scroll down and click on France, then on the department, then click on a particular aire. Some have photos, all have price indications, and all show the services available, dates of opening, GPS and address, number of places, etc. It's maintained by users.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Don't know if the details of this site have been posted before...
yes.. a well known resource .. been using it for many years.. (y)

another equally good, and the one I now prefer is Campercontact Broken Link Removed

This is a Dutch site, the on-line reviews are in English , you can add sites and also give reviews..

you can download the pois for your sat nav

the phone app is excellent.. and good value at £4.50 per annum

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Also another british website which I subscribe to, Link Removed
great info all in english plus some good reviews of aires
It cost £15 to join

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
CCI has free POIs for various European countries and a free Mobile app. Best to download the POIs about a week before setting off as they're constantly being updated.

Some TomTom SatNavs that previously didn't take others' POIs will do so now if you perform a full update.

If you're planning a tour around France/Europe using CCI POIs on a TomTom, make a note of each aire's CCI index number and use that to search for them. Simples.

OP
OP
keithnallen

keithnallen

Free Member
Feb 12, 2016
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo Time 690G
Exp
yes it has.. but it needs a data connection to use the maps..

Campercontact has downloadable maps for use off-line... it can also route using the installed sat nav app

The CCI app can now be used offline as well, according to their website.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The CCI app can now be used offline as well, according to their website.
But why would anyone want to use a website in French, when Campercontact covers the whole of Europe and Scandanavia, includes Aires, Service Points and Campsites
And is in English ?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
But why would anyone want to use a website in French, when Campercontact covers the whole of Europe and Scandanavia, includes Aires, Service Points and Campsites
And is in English ?

Because, for France: CCI contains locations that Campercontact does not; CCI is structured by Departements whilst Campercontact is structured by Regions which can make finding an aire harder; because I like reading the comments on CCI by the local camping caristes (often giving good advice about the aire) and finally, because I like CCI and will continue to use it. Bruno, the originator and webmaster, has put in a huge amount of work building and maintaining CC-Infos and I think it deserves patronage.

CCI also covers most European countries and contains information on Camperstops (aires), Service Points, 'Tolerated' and Official Overnight Parking locations, and Campsites. I regard the fact that it is in French as an opportunity to stimulate the 'grey cells' and try to keep my very limited French at least usable.

I also think Campercontact is an excellent website, app and system. Why limit oneself to only one source though when there are options? (y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
And is in English ?

Even with my basic French I find the user reviews handy when planning trips - there's likely to be more French speaking feedback than English speaking. For some reason I imagine a French site is more likely to be up to date.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
For some reason I imagine a French site is more likely to be up to date.
You'd think so, but Campercontact has thousands of reviews on French Aires from users across Europe, all of which are translated into English (on their website)
Call me a internet snob, but Campingcar Infos looks like just another 'dead' website which hasn't been updated in years.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Because, for France: CCI contains locations that Campercontact does not; CCI is structured by Departements whilst Campercontact is structured by Regions which can make finding an aire harder; because I like reading the comments on CCI by the local camping caristes (often giving good advice about the aire) and finally, because I like CCI and will continue to use it. Bruno, the originator and webmaster, has put in a huge amount of work building and maintaining CC-Infos and I think it deserves patronage.

CCI also covers most European countries and contains information on Camperstops (aires), Service Points, 'Tolerated' and Official Overnight Parking locations, and Campsites. I regard the fact that it is in French as an opportunity to stimulate the 'grey cells' and try to keep my very limited French at least usable.

I also think Campercontact is an excellent website, app and system. Why limit oneself to only one source though when there are options? (y)
Hi @JeanLuc
I don't limit myself to one source, its just that I can always find what I'm looking for on Campercontact, both quickly and easily.
Campercontact is grouped only by country - when browsing by map, which is by far the easiest way to find a site.
You can filter the list of sites to ensure that the sites shown have the facilities, price or review score that you set.
As the owner of an online business I'm all too aware that keeping a website current and intuitive is paramount, so again I must sadly say that in my opinion Campingcar Infos is a dinosaur - sorry!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi @JeanLuc
I don't limit myself to one source, its just that I can always find what I'm looking for on Campercontact, both quickly and easily.
Campercontact is grouped only by country - when browsing by map, which is by far the easiest way to find a site.
You can filter the list of sites to ensure that the sites shown have the facilities, price or review score that you set.
As the owner of an online business I'm all too aware that keeping a website current and intuitive is paramount, so again I must sadly say that in my opinion Campingcar Infos is a dinosaur - sorry!

Yet it has substantially more French aires. 8530 in CCI and 4617 Camper Contact, hardly a Dinosaur.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Yet it has substantially more French aires. 8530 in CCI and 4617 Camper Contact, hardly a Dinosaur.
Hi Keith
Thanks for confirming the exact number, but I've always been able to find great Aires, with the exact facilities I need using Campetcontact.
For me having an easy to use site in English means more to me than having a few more sites on annother outdated, difficult to use website, in a foreign language.
Each to their own I guess

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Hi Keith
Thanks for confirming the exact number, but I've always been able to find great Aires, with the exact facilities I need using Campetcontact.
For me having an easy to use site in English means more to me than having a few more sites on annother outdated, difficult to use website, in a foreign language.
Each to their own I guess

I agree Robert and I use all the information that I can get from wherever, I just think your description of CCI being a dinosaur is a bit harsh, and having Google automatically translate is a real bonus.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
It's not outdated; over 30 updates today alone. There is a list of amendments for each day if you care to look. I do not find it difficult to use and neither do many others, judging by previous threads on here.
One might ask why would anyone want to use 'Fun' when it is only in English? Yet Frankie is a regular contributor from Toulouse!

All of these sites, including Fun, depend on contributions from users; CC-Infos, Campercontact are alike in this respect.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I agree Robert and I use all the information that I can get from wherever, I just think your description of CCI being a dinosaur is a bit harsh, and having Google automatically translate is a real bonus.
Hi Keith
My description of Dinosaur is with regards to the look, feel and usability of the site, not necessarily its content.
Sorry @JeanLuc but its terribly outdated in this respect - and the owners of the site ignore this fact at their peril.
I have tried to use the site myself in the past, but found its usability typical of 'old' websites.
Our own company website looked similar - but that was 10 years ago
The gaudy colours and flashing symbols are not only distracting but make the whole user experience tedious.
Maybe the owners should invest a little money by giving it a 'lick of paint' and a fresh new look.
A new user interface would make finding the sites, quicker and easier.
Maybe then its improved usability would be reflected in increased user numbers, and better advertising revenue for the owners, which would be a win-win situation for everyone.

Finally, because Campercontact is translated into many European languages it is 'INCLUSIVE' because its content and reviews are available to all. This encourages users to take part, and to submit even more reviews and add suggest new sites, remove 'dead' ones and update the information on others, which has changed.
It therefore appeals to users from across Europe, rather than simply to French speakers.

Like I said before, it takes all sorts, and I've met plenty of Funsters and other motorhomers who still rely on their trusty collection of Aires Books, Campsite Guides and Road Atlas's.

However online resources need to keep 'current' if they are not going to get left behind, and outdated.

Yes Campingcar Info may have more sites, but for many people, its not the thickness of a book that counts, but the ease of finding the information that you need.

Regards
Robert

OP
OP
keithnallen

keithnallen

Free Member
Feb 12, 2016
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo Time 690G
Exp
Agreed, the Campingcar-infos site is clunky and old-fashioned (as is Eurocampingcar), but it still works. Now that people have mentioned these other sites, they've all been bookmarked -- CC-Infos was the first one I found when searching!

Next challenge: find one of these sites that produces an app for Windows Phone... or buy a cheap Android device!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Agreed, the Campingcar-infos site is clunky and old-fashioned (as is Eurocampingcar), but it still works. Now that people have mentioned these other sites, they've all been bookmarked -- CC-Infos was the first one I found when searching!

Next challenge: find one of these sites that produces an app for Windows Phone... or buy a cheap Android device!
If you can't find an app you can consider using your phones web browser to use the desktop version on your chosen site

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
If you can't find an app you can consider using your phones web browser to use the desktop version on your chosen site

Oh no Robert, tried that and my eyes objected, old eyes cannot read text that small and if you expand you loose a lot of it. Old age IS a bugger.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you want an app for android that works offline and got every aire you could ever need , check this one out
Broken Link Removed

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
We've been using the Campingcar-Infos website and POI's for years, I think it was the the first 'proper' site for searching for aires and stopovers and I like to think its the daddy of them all for a good spread of stopovers all over Europe and beyond. I would agree though that it could do with a bit of a makeover but i'm loyal to it as it was the first one I used.

Having said that there are a few good up and coming pretenders to the throne now (campercontact, Park4night etc) and I always find it best to have a few up your sleeve to refer to as its virtually impossible for one site to cover them all, having a couple tends to cover any omissions from each site.

I always refer to CC-Infos first though, long may it thrive :)

Pete

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I also use both but I prefer CCinfos.

I find the searching on campercontact a bit tedious and also the machine translations can be a bit weird. It would sometimes be helpful if you could look at the orginal to asscertain the writers true meaning.

But overall - I am very grateful that all this information is there and so easy to access as i sit in the middle of nowhere ( erkount park, Morocco0 and am able to access info and pics and very up to date feedback to help plan the rest of our stops.

Jon

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Until recently we used CCI poi on the tomtom with Camping car magazines Aires book. Started using Camper contact and found it to be a very good app, the only drawback when offline is it list's Aires by distance to location, which can mean that you are looking at Aires in the wrong direction that you wish to go. Apart from that it's a great app and we found that often it listed Aires that weren't in the book. For us it is a case of using all three gets the best results, the CCI poi is particularly good at finding the exact location of an aire.

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
Anyone use"Bordatlas" good books with details in Gernan and downloadable poi database
We use them and brilliant - I think a must when in Germany, very comprehensive coverage and so impressed we thought worth buying the updated version with added sites/stellplatze when re-published.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back