LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
This keeps coming up on my lappy, and I'm having all sorts of problems.
Any ideas please?
I'm running Vista (yes I know, but I never had ANY problems before & I know MS are going to stop supporting it...)
I have paid-for AVG.
Oh, and I keep getting a dropdown "We suggest you install some driver facility or other" - can't quite remember exactly.

?

Deleted User
Get the latest flash player from the Adobe site. Dont follow any links that pop up. The driver facility message sounds like some crap in your computer. Try the free version of Ccleaner to run and find any crap. That and Microsoft Windows Defender keeps my computer clean.

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
That's a 'like', a 'thankyou', a 'useful' and an 'informative' for you @Notakwak (y)
Him Indoors has just put lunch out so I have to go see to that, will let you know how I get on later...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
When you download Adobe Flash,, .. be aware it comes bundled with McAfee ... .. untick the box

Would be a good idea to un-install the existing Adobe Flash before installing the new..
do that from the control panel..

go to.. Programs and Features.. Uninstall or Change a Program .. find Adobe Flash and Uninstall

Broken Link Removed

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1045453

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Fortunately that bug infested pile of crapware (rubish software) is on it's last legs and will hopefully be dead within a year. Other than Oracle I have never seen so many bugs produced by a software developer since microsoft got their act together.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Fortunately that bug infested pile of crapware (rubish software) is on it's last legs and will hopefully be dead within a year. Other than Oracle I have never seen so many bugs produced by a software developer since microsoft got their act together.

there are still a lot of sites using it, any idea what will replace it

or will it not have a replacement ?

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
When you download Adobe Flash,, .. be aware it comes bundled with McAfee ... .. untick the box

Would be a good idea to un-install the existing Adobe Flash before installing the new..
do that from the control panel..

go to.. Programs and Features.. Uninstall or Change a Program .. find Adobe Flash and Uninstall

Broken Link Removed

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1045453
Ha! Just run AVG & CCleaner, went to Adobe & saw the McAfee thingy so came out again, didn't see the uncheck box - thank you!
Will go & follow your instructions now...

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Seems I have:
Adobe Flashplayer 20 ActiveX
Adobe Reader X (10.1.16)
Adobe Shockwave Player 12.1​
Which do I uninstall? The message I keep getting is about Shockwave.

?

Deleted User
Shockwave you would need least. I dont have it and still get all internet content. If you have a program that needs it the program will soon tell you its missing but im sure its more for high end graphical things like presentations and 3D. You need the flash for viewing the likes of youtube and the reader for reading PDF's.

I say Bin shockwave and see how you get on.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
there are still a lot of sites using it, any idea what will replace it

or will it not have a replacement ?

HTML 5 has already replaced it. The big players are already phasing it out. Youtube has just announced they will be phasing out flash support if memory serves at the end of this year. They already default to html 5. Apple cut support a long time ago. Frameworks such as jquery mean interactivity no longer needs flash. It is dead it just doesn't know it yet. Even adobe have stopped supporting the mobile version of it and mobile is the growing platform.

Even the ad networks are moving away from it and they love flash.

PS: I don't have flash installed on my computer as all it does is slow it down and try to install malware. I have no script installed as well so all I get is a blank square where the flash should have been. I don't miss it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
@CWH personally I'd uninstall the lot and start from scratch ..

the best way to uninstall any program is by using Revo unistaller.. ( free open source software ) much better than Windows Uninstaller.. as it removes the associated files and registry entries that Windows leaves behind..

after uninstalling Adobe products and before re-installing, run CCleaner ,

PS

I don't use Adobe PDF reader, I use Sumatra

?

Deleted User
So @Gromett if i bin flash i cant watch any youtube videos. What is the work around?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
So @Gromett if i bin flash i cant watch any youtube videos. What is the work around?
You don't need a work around. If you have a modern browser it will just work. HTML 5 is an industry standard and has been for a few years now.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I don't use Adobe PDF reader, I use Sumatra
When I ran windows I used the same. It is a cracking tiny well written bit of software that is seriously fast.

I refused to have any software by either Adobe or Oracle on my computers due to their bloated, slow, insecure crapware. I never looked back.

?

Deleted User
You don't need a work around. If you have a modern browser it will just work. HTML 5 is an industry standard and has been for a few years now.

Using Chrome and flash is now gone and still able to watch youtube cheers.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
OK: have now also installed Revo Uninstaller; uninstalled all 3 Adobes, re-run CCleaner, & installed Sumatra. I'll leave the other 2 re-installations until I see what I can't do without!
My lappy is now running as though it's had a good dose of Syrup of Figs :LOL:
Thank you all, I'm very grateful for your time and knowledge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back