Be careful using your mobile phone/ipad etc when on the ferry ! (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Just a word of caution if you use a mobile phone or tablet on the ferry.

We have just come back from France on the DFDS ferry from Dunkirk to Dover. My wife logged into the the free wifi onboard, however it was a bit 'iffy' and she discovered the mobile data was still working about mid channel........

We discovered 30 minutes later that we were logged on to the ships marine mobile phone network which of course is not part of '3 feel at home' when we received a massage from '3' saying that we had just spent £5 on data!!

This was a shock, luckily we only use PAYG and were only just under £4 in credit so the bill was limited to that. If we were on contract it may well have ran to the £40? limit for contract phones.

We did not really think that this would happen as we had just been using '3' for the last few days in France.

Be aware ........ :cautious:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just a word of caution if you use a mobile phone or tablet on the ferry.

We have just come back from France on the DFDS ferry from Dunkirk to Dover. My wife logged into the the free wifi onboard, however it was a bit 'iffy' and she discovered the mobile data was still working about mid channel........

We discovered 30 minutes later that we were logged on to the ships marine mobile phone network which of course is not part of '3 feel at home' when we received a massage from '3' saying that we had just spent £5 on data!!

This was a shock, luckily we only use PAYG and were only just under £4 in credit so the bill was limited to that. If we were on contract it may well have ran to the £40? limit for contract phones.

We did not really think that this would happen as we had just been using '3' for the last few days in France.

Be aware ........ :cautious:
Also happens if you stray into Belgium

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Lucky you!!! :D

Do DFDS not offer on board WiFi? We used that on Brittany Ferries last time we sailed, not the fastest being that it is a satellite link, but it was included with our cabin.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Always turn off mobile data in settings.

If going outside of the '3 feel at home' countries I would do that, but simply on the ferry between France and England I did not expect to be so easily caught out!

The whole idea of having mobile data on in the first place is for convenience and is expressly why I chose '3'.

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Same thing happened to me with 3.
Ran a bill up of £29. I explained it to 3 customer service and got a full refund even though it was my own fault.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Another thing to keep an eye on is when updating an iPhone or iPad that the update can change settings for Bluetooth, Mobile data etc without you realising. They seem to turn ON!
Then it wants to update iCloud etc as a matter of rule.
That would cost a bit if on mobile data, or a paid for wifi service.

My missus fell foul of it just a week ago coming back from Eire.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back