WOLF - Power Genie WPG950 Petrol Inverter Generator.. from £169.99 (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If it's mission critical.. I would buy Honda ... but for occasional use or just as standby for emergencies..look good ...

Posted for information.. I have no connection with Wolf nor endorse these products...

The range of Wolf Power 'Genie' Inverter Generators not only provide fantastic value for money but gives the user reliable and stable power wherever and whenever it is needed.

Wolf Genie Inverter Generators use advanced 'state of the art' technology which produces a constant voltage and frequency stability of between + or -1%. The voltage stability of these generators is often more stable than the normal mains supply which makes them ideal for operating sensitive electronics such as computers, TV's, DVD's, PA systems etc..

Being very quiet in operation compared with traditional generators, they have a low fuel consumption and develop a fantastic power to weight ratio. Just look at the technical specification below and see just how lightweight this model is. Most adults can even lift one with 1 finger.

The WPG950 Inverter Generator is fitted with a selectable 'econo' switch which allows the generator to idle when no power is being drawn, making it even more economical. Also fitted with a power overload cut off to protect it in the event of an overload, making it virtually indestructible in normal use.

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Has anyone tried one of these, we have no need for mains voltage, but these look good value as an emergency battery charger, never had the need for one yet as we move on most days but if they are quiet and no weight wouldn't hurt in the locker at that money.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Yes they seem to be good value for money.
But ask yourself do i need one? ok cheap backup just incase? but one of the big problems is its petrol.
Petrol goes off. after a couple of months the petrol may be ok in your lawn mower but not in a generator where power input (fuel) and output (electric) are closely connected. But not to take the subject too far of track. i would say again yes a good price and thanks for posting.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I get great reassurance from always carrying a generator.

I have never ever experienced petrol "going off".

Like habitation checks, I had never ever heard of it happening until I started reading Fun.

I have carried petrol for my generator for months and months unused and never had a problem using it.

I suppose I must be lucky...

There again... I drive in Spain in bare feet...

JJ :cool:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Petrol does go off.... But it would have to be quite old before it gave a problem. For less than a fiver you can buy a fuel stabiliser which would prevent fuel from going off...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
It is possible to buy petrol that has no additives, designed for petrol mowers etc which might not be used all winter, look for Aspen 4T, however it's expensive currently around £19 for 5ltrs.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Just for the record I have a wolf petrol petrol washer, yes I know its not a genie but it works well with more pressure than the Clarke at twice the price. It starts every time and no I haven't had to change the petrol! I have considered the genie and will probably get one later on.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Resurrecting this thread, I bought one of these (WG950 version) as a standby for the van, in the absence of a decent gas source (irritatingly limited to a single 6Kg bottle!) pending a second leisure battery/solar panel set up that I will probably have installed when the van is back in the UK.

Within it's limitations, and for the cost, this is a great little generator, Shipped without oil (to prevent internal spillage), once oiled up and fuelled, primed and with switches set to "on", mine started second pull of the starter.

Whilst certainly not "silent", it isn't exactly loud. To put it in context, at 7M distant, it is roughly the sound of a hairdryer at 3M or a lawnmower on tickover at 30M. I bought it as an occasional generator (get out of trouble) for our motorhome, rather than spend 8 times more for a Honda (the Rolls Royce choice) or knacker the (currently single) leisure battery whilst wild camping, and I can see how extended use could be irritating for neighbouring motorhomes

I did scope the output out of interest, and it produces a fairly clean sinusoidal wave, a supply suitable for most things within its limited range. However, it struggles to cope with any start-up load, thus an 800 watt hairdryer was too much for it. Same for an 800 watt kettle. In truth, this is limited to 700/750W. I managed to pick up a 70's - but mint condition - 400 watt Moulinex hairdryer on Ebay for less than a fiver, and that actually works a treat. SWMBO says that there is little to choose between that and the 1500 watt chrome plated effort she uses at home. Surprisingly (to me) the availability of a hair dryer is probably the most persuasive factor in getting her on board the van, that combined with the fact that, as co pilot and navigator, she can boss me about.

I also got ourselves a 500 watt travel water boiler for a fiver on Amazon - takes patience to boil but still a lot faster than the equivalent 12v camping effort (limited to 125 watts, being 10A through the cigar lighter socket, and ending up with an almost glowing plus and lead, making me a little twitchy).

Aside from hair drying, making tea and running the fridge, we haven't tried a lot else. In theory it should just run the lower level Truma electric water heater of the motorhome if the water is at a reasonable temperature already, but cuts out with the battery charger running at the same time or the fridge is on. I haven't tested this properly yet.

The supplied 12v charging leads give a modest kick to batteries, difficult to find specs but I measured 4.2A at 12V at full tilt. Seriously, do NOT rely on this to get you out of trouble with your 'van starter battery unless you have hours to spare whilst it trickle charges your batteries. I must get myself a jump start battery pack instead.

All things considered, and in my inexpert opinion, anything is better than using a 12V invertor to use for hairdrying and basic stuff in our motorhome, as the single leisure battery fitted will just take a hammering. This is good for items that draw a small load, 12V appliances and LED lighting is sensible in the 21st century, and if an EHU is available, then that must be your first choice. Otherwise, this generator is a useful backup for home - sufficient to keep the central heating operational and run a light or two, charge up a laptop or watch telly

Overall, I wish I had bought the next size up, but it is heavier and not really necessary for the extremely occasional use it is required for. In terms of size, this generator takes up around 15 x 16 x 10 (inches, obviously) and is easy to carry single handed and start up.

As for petrol degrading over time, too early to tell, but I have never had problems with lawnmowers, so I don't expect any problems.

Last edited:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
As we live in the countryside, we've experienced our fair share of power outages over the years (not so common now though) & having a wee generator was a godsend. It's not so many years ago that heavy snow put our power out over Xmas for four days & it would have been a pretty miserable time without a generator. Modern solar panels & chargers have all but made generators obsolete, but I still like the "belt & braces" of generators.

Reactions: JJ

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Resurrecting this thread, I bought one of these (WG950 version) as a standby for the van, in the absence of a decent gas source (irritatingly limited to a single 6Kg bottle!) pending a second leisure battery/solar panel set up that I will probably have installed when the van is back in the UK.

Within it's limitations, and for the cost, this is a great little generator, Shipped without oil (to prevent internal spillage), once oiled up and fuelled, primed and with switches set to "on", mine started second pull of the starter.

Whilst certainly not "silent", it isn't exactly loud. To put it in context, at 7M distant, it is roughly the sound of a hairdryer at 3M or a lawnmower on tickover at 30M. I bought it as an occasional generator (get out of trouble) for our motorhome, rather than spend 8 times more for a Honda (the Rolls Royce choice) or knacker the (currently single) leisure battery whilst wild camping, and I can see how extended use could be irritating for neighbouring motorhomes

I did scope the output out of interest, and it produces a fairly clean sinusoidal wave, a supply suitable for most things within its limited range. However, it struggles to cope with any start-up load, thus an 800 watt hairdryer was too much for it. Same for an 800 watt kettle. In truth, this is limited to 700/750W. I managed to pick up a 70's - but mint condition - 400 watt Moulinex hairdryer on Ebay for less than a fiver, and that actually works a treat. SWMBO says that there is little to choose between that and the 1500 watt chrome plated effort she uses at home. Surprisingly (to me) the availability of a hair dryer is probably the most persuasive factor in getting her on board the van, that combined with the fact that, as co pilot and navigator, she can boss me about.

I also got ourselves a 500 watt travel water boiler for a fiver on Amazon - takes patience to boil but still a lot faster than the equivalent 12v camping effort (limited to 125 watts, being 10A through the cigar lighter socket, and ending up with an almost glowing plus and lead, making me a little twitchy).

Aside from hair drying, making tea and running the fridge, we haven't tried a lot else. In theory it should just run the lower level Truma electric water heater of the motorhome if the water is at a reasonable temperature already, but cuts out with the battery charger running at the same time or the fridge is on. I haven't tested this properly yet.

The supplied 12v charging leads give a modest kick to batteries, difficult to find specs but I measured 4.2A at 12V at full tilt. Seriously, do NOT rely on this to get you out of trouble with your 'van starter battery unless you have hours to spare whilst it trickle charges your batteries. I must get myself a jump start battery pack instead.

All things considered, and in my inexpert opinion, anything is better than using a 12V invertor to use for hairdrying and basic stuff in our motorhome, as the single leisure battery fitted will just take a hammering. This is good for items that draw a small load, 12V appliances and LED lighting is sensible in the 21st century, and if an EHU is available, then that must be your first choice. Otherwise, this generator is a useful backup for home - sufficient to keep the central heating operational and run a light or two, charge up a laptop or watch telly

Overall, I wish I had bought the next size up, but it is heavier and not really necessary for the extremely occasional use it is required for. In terms of size, this generator takes up around 15 x 16 x 10 (inches, obviously) and is easy to carry single handed and start up.

As for petrol degrading over time, too early to tell, but I have never had problems with lawnmowers, so I don't expect any problems.
You can buy fuel stabiliser for petrol to keep it fresher for up about 12 months ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STA-BIL-F...195437?hash=item25c15270ad:g:2PAAAOSwofxUfCj4

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Thanks Charlie, at 45p per gallon treatment, that is worth using (now ordered)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back