silver screens (1 Viewer)

freddieboy

Free Member
Aug 2, 2009
Funster No
hi all can tell me which is the better and why, internal or externa silver screens :Smile: thanks new to the game !1

Last edited:

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since October 07 but Caravanning since 1972
I prefer the external ones. better for condensation if they get wet just put them in the shower till you get home and then dry them out not a problem
Maureen

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
External. The reason is that they offer greater insulation.

If you use internal on a cold night you will have enough water from the condensation to start your own swimming pool.:cry:

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
HI and welcome i have had both and used both at the same time in very chilly climes. Both have merits are probably equally as quick to put up , main advantage of external is that it can also cover engine bay area , internal sort are usually a little cheaper and use less storage space -this is all my opinion and bound to be shot down in flames. Alan:Cool:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we have both types.

internal screens are basicaly aimed at reflecting the suns rays so stays cooler indoors.

the external screens are insulating so ideal for cold weather and no condensation problems but they do get wet/dirty.

mine were blue-ish grey but now are mucky greyish.

the main drawback with externals is the lack of daylight at the front unless you either remove them each day (a real chore) or buy the ones with a zip center panel to lower in daylight.
internals are much easier.....just pull off the top fixing suckers and let it hang down.

Upvote 0

geofliz

Free Member
Feb 3, 2008
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
L P Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years. 29 as a tugger
We have both, but the internal ones are where they belong, gathering dust in the roof. The external are in my opinion the best, for the reasons stated earlier. We also use them in summer if and when we get sunshine to keep the motorhome cool. Go for Silver Screens not the alternatives as the service is first class, was in my case anyway.

Upvote 0

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
we have both types.

internal screens are basicaly aimed at reflecting the suns rays so stays cooler indoors.

the external screens are insulating so ideal for cold weather and no condensation problems but they do get wet/dirty.

mine were blue-ish grey but now are mucky greyish.

the main drawback with externals is the lack of daylight at the front unless you either remove them each day (a real chore) or buy the ones with a zip center panel to lower in daylight.
internals are much easier.....just pull off the top fixing suckers and let it hang down.

Iagree but ours are two sides and a middle section, we can "roll" the centre section down during the day then just roll it up again at night. They are vlcro'd at the edges to do this.
Welcome to the fun, by the way.
Regards, Dave:thumb:

Upvote 0

Tinyk

Free Member
Mar 9, 2009
Funster No
I bought the external silver screens direct from them and also had the day panel installed so during the day we just pull back a bit of velcro and you have instant daylight plus you can only see out not in with their special panel.

I did a lot of reading before buying and the consensus is definitely go with the external and get genuine silver screens or taylor made, cheap alternatives are just not worth the money.

Upvote 0
S

stagman

Deleted User
hi all can tell me which is the better and why, internal or externa silver screens :Smile: thanks new to the game !1

We hardly stop long enough in one place to bother fitting the external ones .For me it would be the internal ones .i also think the Fiamma ones are better value than the Taylor made and if it wasn't for Venetian Blinds it would be Curtains for us all:thumb:

Upvote 0
R

reader

Deleted User
If you buy the one piece Silver Screen (cant comment on other makes)you can in fact use it on both the outside and inside. This doesnt work with the centre drop down panel versions though

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you want to use your motorhome in winter, get external screens as they have the best insulating effect. We use them together with the internal concertina blinds to maximise the dead-air insulation around the windscreen.
We have Silverscreens and can recommend them, although many other people speak highly of Taylormade.

We bought what Silverscreens refer to as their 'Show Grade' (I believe they sell them as 'specials' at shows around the country - we bought direct via telephone). These are identical to the standard version, but are made from the end of the roll of material so tend to be a bit more wrinkly. This only lasts a short time before smoothing out. The benefit is a cheaper price, but you lose their 'buy-back' offer, which enables you to sell them back to Silverscreens at a fair discount if you want to buy a different size in future. n.b. screens are cut and shaped to fit a particular van.

Give them a call - they are very helpful - see below.

Philip

>>Siverscreens<<

Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Welcome,
One of the disadvantages of the external screens has not been mentioned thus far.

If you are overnighting in a lay-by or aire and are unfortunate enough to be attacked, the external screen will prevent you from driving off. The internals can be removed instantly.

Of course this pre-supposes that you would be in that situation. The only aires that I've heard of as being risky are the motorway aires and some of those in built-up areas.

I would advocate external screens for all the reasons mentioned so far. The internal screens are, as papajohn mentioned, better as sun/heat screens than as protection from the cold.

John

Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
One of the disadvantages of the external screens has not been mentioned thus far.

If you are overnighting in a lay-by or aire and are unfortunate enough to be attacked, the external screen will prevent you from driving off. The internals can be removed instantly.
Note this point Freddieboy, its an important point on a situation you may hopefully never find yourself in....but something you should seriously think about.

As for the condensation biz with interior screens, only reason that occurs is because folk who get it don't vent their van properly.

To settle your mind i'd suggest buying both external and internal and giving them both a try in all weathers. Thats what i did and now stick just with internal. Only time i miss my external is during winter with the occassional freeze and i've forgot to cover my windscreen. But a blanket or piece of cloth does the same job!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back