Interesting experience (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was driving back from getting LPG when I came round a bend on a steep hill. I saw a man scrambling back from a very old pickup that had a large tree trunk on the back. As I got closer I saw that the wheel was at the side of the road and the jacks were flat on the ground under the vehicle.

I pulled over, put hazards on and got out. It was an old boy and the tree trunk was massive. It was at least 5 foot across and the full length of the pick ups bed.

I couldn't understand much of what he was saying as his accent was extremely broad but I finally understood him. He had overloaded it and the wheel had come off.

He had jacked it up but forgot to put it in 4 wheel drive so it rolled back down the hill towards him as he jacked it up.

I offered to help if I could but he declined. I made sure he could get the jack under and wouldn't be stuck there. He then started jacking it up again. At this point I thought I had better bugger off quick in case the same thing happened again and that hefty load rolled back into my van. That was pretty scary when it lifted off the ground and started groaning. If I had trusted his abilities more I would have stayed and made sure he was ok, but I felt it was a bit dangerous to my house (van)...

On the trip I think I also broke my personal record for the most sets of road work traffic lights. 6 independent traffic lights in 15 miles. 2 floods and an accident. Not to mention bin men and the usual 5 tractors. And this is in the middle of the country side on road barely wide enough for two vans to pass...

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Where are you Gromett? I'm just wondering so I can keep the hell away from you as your deffo having a bad day! :eek::LOL:

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think he needed a couple of wheel chocks too, if it was a steep hill.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Five tractors? He must be in Lincolnshire!

South Wales.. The roads in Lincolnshire are wider and are easier to overtake on. A few of them round here can't seem to decide whether to be roads or rivers either.

I think he needed a couple of wheel chocks too, if it was a steep hill.
If he had chocks under the wheels I would have stayed to help. But being behind that massive load on a very steep hill held by the gearbox only in 4WD. 1 wheel missing.. Scary...

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Just another day at the office then, sunshine? :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back