Bad news for the Western Isles? (1 Viewer)

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Link Removed

Do you think the Islanders will appreciate this?

Seems like this M.P. is going to cost the locals a bit of trade if he has his way. :whatthe:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mr MacNeil said: "Many constituents have raised with me the growth of camper van numbers, not just on ferries but as an issue in the islands.

OR

"While camper vans are welcomed on the Western Isles, this is a management issue."

which is it.......we're welcome or we're not?:Doh:
typical politician :Angry:

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Quote;
Mr MacNeil said: "Many constituents have raised with me the growth of camper van numbers, not just on ferries but as an issue in the islands.
"In some cases, it's an environmental health issue, as some places have no facilities to deal with these numbers. ( this would be the odd one or two ??)

It would seem that the MP is raising the doubts of his constituents
these would be the ones not getting any direct benifit there will be the
No Overnight Parking for Motor Caravans next year every time we have been we have never got the feeling we were not welcome quite the opposit in fact in the north west you can identify locals by the way they do not give way on single track roads this does not apply on the Western Islands the locals give way and wave.

Alf

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
There is an uprising in the islands because CalMac decided to run ferries on a Sunday. Could this be a reaction to this? :Sad:

The locals fear the bad weather they have been experiencing is directly attributed to "The wrath of god because of the Sunday ferries"

See this report Tornado wreaks havoc in Stornoway | UK news | guardian.co.uk

We get blamed for eveything. :Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The locals fear the bad weather they have been experiencing is directly attributed to "The wrath of god because of the Sunday ferries"

:Eeek:

you'll be telling us next they burn coppers in giant wicker dolls as a way to appease the gods....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The paper has it wrong. A MH of between 5M and 8M is not the same price as a car. A MH of upto 5M is the same price, not many MHs will travel for the car price!

OP
OP
derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
The paper has it wrong. A MH of between 5M and 8M is not the same price as a car. A MH of upto 5M is the same price, not many MHs will travel for the car price!

I know that was the case, I hoped that they had changed it when I read the paoer, hey ho!:cry:

chewy

Free Member
Apr 11, 2009
Funster No
Simple (s) like we all know it could be: provide some aires (waste management) and we'll contribute to the local economey. (nearly typed connery there..read it as french not Sean)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Found this such a biased article I have invited the MP to join us on a motorhome trip!!!!

Also gave a plug for motorhome fun xxxxxx

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We are heading up to the Western Isles on the 9th of August. Hope the weather is better then

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We all know that newspapers never let the truth get in the way of a good story so I wonder how close to the facts such a short article is.

I'm interested in the quote "In some cases, it's an environmental health issue, as some places have no facilities to deal with these numbers" and I wonder if the real problem as a result of increased numbers is brought about by those who bring us all into disrepute by indiscriminate disposal of waste.

I e-mailed Mr MacNeil for clarification last night when I first saw this thread. I'll post the response when (if) I get one.

Graham

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
The truth !!!

I have a cousin who runs a pottery business on Lewis, I have e-mailed her to find out what the locals really think..Watch this space..

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We all know that newspapers never let the truth get in the way of a good story so I wonder how close to the facts such a short article is.

I agree, reading between the lines there is more to this and it's maybe not PC to publish.

I have a cousin who runs a pottery business on Lewis, I have e-mailed her to find out what the locals really think..Watch this space..

Look forward to hearing from a local..

Jim

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
There is an uprising in the islands because CalMac decided to run ferries on a Sunday. Could this be a reaction to this? :Sad:
I think rightly so too though Sunday sailings are nothing new with CalMac, (i used them two years ago to visit the Hebrides and they were doing Sunday sailings then).

The Hebrides are (thankfully) quite different to mainland UK and Sundays there are basically a day of peace and calm. They call it the Sabbath and visitors are asked to respect this. Their churches are filled to capacity each Sunday with locals turning up via means of all kinds of transport. I even witnessed a group of leather clad biker guys at one church complete with Bible in hand....something which mildly amused me for a few moments.

Many years ago, Sunday was also considered 'a day of rest' here on the mainland with no shops open (or very few), but now thats long gone and i'm not sure it has been for the best.

As for this MP complaining about 'an invasion of camper vans' due to CalMacs price reductions, he should concern himself more with the environmental destruction and permanent eyesore the proposed windfarm on Lewis will cause. But then that will undoubtedly make a few selective people, not to mention certain MP's and Council officials, extremely wealthy.

CalMac fares have always been quite expensive due to their smaller turnover of traffic when compared to cross channel ferries, but as an example, when i sailed back from Barra to Oban the ferry was almost empty and i was talking to one of the stewards onboard. He told me the overall running cost of just a single trip was in the region of ÂŁ10k and with the few passengers they had that day, they would be running at a loss.

The lowest fare available for a mh/campervan is still set at 5 metres so a small campervan or m/h is the best vehicle to use.....plus of course the majority of the roads are not suited to bigger mh's.

Whilst on Lewis i spotted this sign on a gate to a childrens playground......something you would never see on the mainland as the local brats would undoubtedly rip it off, but there, even the children respected 'The Sabbath'.

2zjgw3r.jpg

Last edited:

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Western Isles

Read the Article by Lesley Riddoch in today's Scotsman newspaper,
we have a new name now. On the western Isles we are now referd to as Binfillers ??:ROFLMAO:
Link Removed:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Alf

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Motorcaravanners to Slam Island MP

See the Island MP slams campervans on

join poll to SLAM Island MP

Alf

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
(...) so a small campervan or m/h is the best vehicle to use.....plus of course the majority of the roads are not suited to bigger M/Hs.
(...)

:Eeek:

I'm hoping to get on a short course at Sabhal mor Ostaig on Skye and had thought of making the most the 500 mile trip up by taking in the Western Isles...

e.g. SKYE (Mallaig-Armadale), HARRIS (Uig-Tarbert), LEWIS (Leverburgh-Berneray) and UIST (Lochboisdale-Oban) using CalMac's Island Hopscotch ferry deal.

Don't want to wildcamp as I prefer to use sites ...are there any? Plus are the roads twixt the ferry ports above suitable for a 7m M/H please?

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
They do have trucks over there!:Doh:
Derek, did you mean to say
'no problem with a 7m m/h' on the roads twixt the ferry terminals'

I've never been so have to be guided by others who have.... especially when it was suggested that some roads aren't suitable!

(is Berwick still in England or did we give it back :ROFLMAO:)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
They do have trucks over there!:Doh:
They do.

There is even a company based at Stornoway.....but you won't find their trucks going along any of the roads which tourists want to use.

Basic common sense tells (most) people, the nature of the majority of roads on the Hebrides are not suited to large vehicles.

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Basic common sense tells (most) people, the nature of the majority of roads on the Hebrides are not suited to large vehicles.
Tell that to the touring coach, tanker, builders merchant, bin lorry and ARV drivers we met on Lewis and Harris this year! Granted only a few of them were artics.
No problems (we are 6.6 M ) even going into the small, damp, old campsite a mile or 2 from Tarbert ferry terminal. Never had to reverse to a passing place once so OK even if you have one of the 'not fit for purpose' juddermobiles.
There are only 4 or 5 campsites on Harris/Lewis - we used 3 of them and they all have good and bad features but all were helpful.
Look ahead, where possible, to pick your passing place and let anyone who catches up on you past and you will have no problems on the Western Isles. We had more problems in the lanes of Cornwall where hedges tried to remove our windows from both sides at the same time.
I preferred Dereks, more to the point, reply.

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
I preferred Dereks, more to the point, reply.

:thumb: Thanks for the info...I prefer yours 'cos it's a helpful reply rather than a cheap trite put down:winky:

BG That sums up my thoughts hence asking those who have personal experience travelling the Isles:thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I reckon there are a few folk on the mb who have toured the Outer Hebrides, but just as an example here are a couple of shots of typical B class single track roads which wind their way to some amazingly beautiful parts of the coast.
Needless to say you won't find any artic juggernauts down them because they won't fit, despite what some may say.
Each side of the road is usually peat bog or craggy rock. They make nice rest halts for large mh's.

3501b1d.jpg

xzxxu.jpg

but here is one of the few A roads where large trucks and artics will go, though oddly enough there didn't seem much traffic around that day.
For the geographically curious it's the A857 which goes from east to west across Lewis.

But don't take notice of my photo's......go and find out for yourself.

14l7j42.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back