French 'Technical' help s'il vous plait (1 Viewer)

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
Hi all, not sure how to word this but here goes......

Have been looking around for a new (ish) MH.
Decision made however, included in the paperwork is a piece of paper headed " Certificat de Conformite Europeen Vehicules Incomplets" It states (as far as I can make out) details in relation to dimensions of the vehicle etc.

I have tried to research this via a translator but you know how it is, sometimes the 'literal translation' doesn't always work and my school French does not stretch this far. It is clearly some sort of official export/import document. The MH is on a 2014 plate and that's is obviously one of the bargaining aspects taken into consideration.

I am concerned this document is a '1st registration' document and has been either/and the
a) MH was purchased in France and shipped here or
b) the vehicle has been 'living' in France and been exported to England or
c) ...... ?
My concern is that this vehicle has been re-registered in the UK and, in fact isn't 2 years old at all !
Help

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
When we bought our (new) van, it came with a "European Certificate of Conformity", actually 2, one in English and one in French.
As far as I know, they are issued to all new vehicles, it looks like this is the certificate you are referring to. It should be in your paperwork pack, so don't worry.
You will need this certificate if you need to re register your van abroad
The following copied from Europa.EU

Issued by the manufacturer - shows that the technical characteristics of the vehicle meet safety and environmental standards. Can be either a European ( EC) or a national certificate.

EC certificate of conformity - valid in all EU countries.

If your car has a valid EC certificate, national authorities cannot request any additional technical documentation- unless your car has been modified since leaving the factory (they can then require it to undergo a new approval).

National certificate of conformity - valid only in the country that issued it.

Generally for buses, trucks, vans, trailers and custom-built before May 2009 or vintage cars.

If your car is already registered and you move it to another EU country, the authorities in your new country will often require additional technical checks or certificates before registration.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
La réception nationale par type de petites séries est une réception conduisant à la production de véhicules :
  • complets (prêt à l'emploi) ;
  • incomplets (non prêt à l'emploi, nécessite au moins encore une étape pour qu'ils soient complets) ;
  • complétés (dernière étape conduisant aux véhicules complets)
There are three 'levels' of CoC (Certificate of conformity), for vehicles of restricted numbers; 'complet' = vehicle ready for use - 'incomplet' = not ready for use, needing to undergo at least one more stage before being ready for use - 'complété' = last stage undergone to be ready for use ('completed')

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
LAM

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Thank you , Allan
The concern is the document is dated at least 1 year before the English '1st reg'. Does this have any bearing, have we agreed on a price on a vehicle that isn't as 'young' as we thought ? No money has changed hands yet so it's not irretrievable :Eeek:

OP
OP
LAM

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Merci stcyr,

The document states 'incomplet' so could it be the vehicle is only, officially 2 years old ? :worried::confused:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What make & model is the MH?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It may be long winded but you could check the chassis number, (vin number) I checked the one on my imported Roadster and found the imported paperwork and registration number was five years out. Reg was 'R' '97 and the vin number showed it to have been built in '92.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Below is the COC for our PVC:

Dethleff COC p1.jpg
Dethleff COC p2.jpg

You can see that, although we bought it in May 2015 when it was first registered in the UK, it had obviously been 'signed off' by Dethleffs on 14 Feb 2014 (we have a Globecar which is owned by Dethleffs). Ours had been used as a demonstrator by the dealer since mid/late 2014 which we knew about but had never been registered when they got it, and it had very little mileage on so not 'moved about' a lot from show to show.

It didn't worry us one bit as most people will always go by the date of UK first registration, NOT when it was built/completed.

The only thing to watch out for is any changes between the year it was actually completed by the manufacturer and any models from the later years, such as different lighting/kit etc - we had an Autocruise previously which although not registered until summer 2012 had been produced in autumn of the previous year and there had been some slight kit changes in between, but only an 'anorak' would have known!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
A lot of vans are held in storage for a long time before being converted to a motorhome the VIN number gives the date of actual build of the base vehicle, and the registration number is the date of the DVLC number. The tenth number of the VIN is the build date j is 1988 and on up to 2000-1 when it starts again at 1-2-3 corresponding to the last number of the year.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My last van bought Jan 2012 came with a COC...
My understanding is that it's issued by the converter when the motorhome is made..
The vehicle was most likely brand new at first registration but it may have took a year from it's build to when the dealer has first sold and registered it.. Thats my view anyway...

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You are having a concern we had, but in our case only after we had collected ours from a Private sale, our Mercedes chassis was built in 06, handed to Hymer in 07 who built the MH that year, but it then stood on a forecourt as a demonstrator through the recession, sold and registered in 09

but with 06 tyres etc we bought it in 13 thinking it was only 3 1/2 years old

we now wonder if the issues we have had with our turbo and associated bits were due to being stood around for so long

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A lot of vans are held in storage for a long time before being converted to a motorhome the VIN number gives the date of actual build of the base vehicle, and the registration number is the date of the DVLC number. The tenth number of the VIN is the build date j is 1988 and on up to 2000-1 when it starts again at 1-2-3 corresponding to the last number of the year.
I'm confused! My camper's vin is: ZFA2500000253**** so how does that relate???

digit/numbers
1st to 3rd: ZFA = Fiat, Italy
4th to 8th: 25000 = X250 base/model
9th: 0 = this is a 'calculation/number' check
10th: 0 = build date ... I can't find this on ANY lists!
11th to 17th: 253**** = sequence number

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have three C of C, from, Fiat, Al-Ko & Hymer each one is dated when it was signed off in the relevant factory. For registration purposes in the UK only the Hymer one is relevant, however by having all three you know the build history. In my case Fiat built Dec 2013, Al-Ko chassis Dec 2013, Hymer Feb 2014.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Thank you , Allan
The concern is the document is dated at least 1 year before the English '1st reg'. Does this have any bearing, have we agreed on a price on a vehicle that isn't as 'young' as we thought ? No money has changed hands yet so it's not irretrievable :Eeek:

Is there no way to you could post that paper on here? I could at least read it properly with all the details. Personally I can't help without having a proper read. A detail could change a few things (apart from being an official certificat de conformité by all means!)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Merci stcyr,

The document states 'incomplet' so could it be the vehicle is only, officially 2 years old ? :worried::confused:
Somewhere there should still be a " completé" certificate ?
Ask them for copy & scan & post ?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The tenth number of the VIN is the build date j is 1988 and on up to 2000-1 when it starts again at 1-2-3 corresponding to the last number of the year.
Don't think that is correct. My Fiat CoC shows that it was built in October 2014 and yet the tenth number is 2.
That is what I thought but interestingly mine is the new X295 model (as confirmed by Fiat) and yet the number still starts with 25000.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Don't think that is correct. My Fiat CoC shows that it was built in October 2014 and yet the tenth number is 2.

That is what I thought but interestingly mine is the new X295 model (as confirmed by Fiat) and yet the number still starts with 25000.
I'm just saying what Wiki and other sites say it is meant to be ... as my 'year' number doesn't exist I don't know how to decipher the VIN properly ... can anyone?

Reactions: LAM
OP
OP
LAM

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Thank you Mel,
the document is pretty much the same but in French. I feel a little better now speaking with you all. Given we have had 'issues' with the dealer previously and instantly went on the defensive when we found this paperwork !

We have three C of C, from, Fiat, Al-Ko & Hymer
Thank you, Lenny we have two and looking in the manual it states we should have three, also to complete the set, a talk needed with the Dealer me thinks :notworthy2:
Is there no way to you could post that paper on here? I could at least read it properly with all the details. Personally I can't help without having a proper read. A detail could change a few things (apart from being an official certificat de conformité by all means!)
Thank you Yodeli, I'm not that great at that sort of technology but I will try if you can bear with me :france::france:

Somewhere there should still be a " completé" certificate ?
Ask them for copy & scan & post ?
Thanks Gus, I think that may be the 'third' certificate Lenny has mentioned. Not picking up the van for a few weeks so have time to sort things out. This is all very confusing, folks but I thank you all for your unwavering help and hope this is informative for others :hi5:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I'm confused! My camper's vin is: ZFA2500000253**** so how does that relate???

digit/numbers
1st to 3rd: ZFA = Fiat, Italy
9th: 0 = this is a 'calculation/number' check
10th: 0 = build date ... I can't find this on ANY lists!
11th to 17th: 253**** = sequence number
I think it might be a break point at 2010 and the codes change again after that but I cannot see anything about it.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
An 'incomplet' coc would apply to the vehicle as delivered to the MH manufacturer for completion as a MH.

(La réception nationale par type de petites séries est une réception conduisant à la production de véhicules :
  • complets (prêt à l'emploi) ;
  • incomplets (non prêt à l'emploi, nécessite au moins encore une étape pour qu'ils soient complets) ;
  • complétés (dernière étape conduisant aux véhicules complets))

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just had another look at my documents, I have an "Incomplet" doc in French from Peugeot dated mid April 2013 for the base vehicle, and a "Complete" doc from Autosleeper confirming the completed conversion as a Motor Caravan, also dated mid April 2013. We bought the van on 30th May 2013 and it was registered on 5th June 2013.
It didn't hang about, from Peugeot as a chassis cab to me in around 6 weeks!

Also with these documents are 2 certificates for the electrical installation, one fitting and test certificate for the vans gas installation, one fitting and test certificate for the Gasit tank and documents and handbooks for all the other fitted equipment.
In fact, we have a box folder full of paperwork, certificates and instruction manuals.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
There yer go - confirms what I said previously ;)

Reactions: LAM

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back