Dartford crossing rip off (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
Just thought I'd share this with you. We went to Dover from lincoln having put in the address into the sat nav off we went, straight there easy peasy after a month in Spain we returned home only to find my post, there was a letter from the Dartford crossing office presenting me with my bill of £250.00 for the crossing, the poxy crossing over the Thames, my appeal was turned down as I did not pay within 12 hours, I explained I was out off the country for 30 days or so but they had the last word pay up or it will go up to £500 and then £750.........The standard charge for my 17 year old mh would be £100.00 because of the emissions, anyone else had bother like this or is it just me.

?

Deleted User
I was told you are meant to pay online in advance for the crossing. When you pay it lasts for X amounts of months but if you cross during the night its free. You could play dumb and say you did not know about the payment arrangement as was expecting a toll booth.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Some people may say that it's the people who use the Dartford Crossing without paying that are 'ripping' off the people who do pay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just you I think.

The crossing charge and the ways to pay are very well publicised.

It looks like you may have strayed into the LEZ as well because your emissions are irrelevant for the Dartford Crossing. It's either £2.50 for a one off or £1.67 with an account. The penalty charges for DartCharge aren't what you quote either so I don't think that's what you've been charged for: https://www.gov.uk/dartford-crossing-fees-exemptions-penalties

The LEZ charge however is £100 per day and they are completely strict on it with no exceptions so the charges you quote would make sense for that.

I'm not entirely sure how you would have managed to accidentally stray into the zone though. The M25 isn't part of it and it's extremely well signed on all the approaches.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sorry. But why didn't you pay at the time, plenty signs, and threads on here, less than a fiver, just not worth risking it.

Upvote 0

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
image.jpg

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We'll according to the map the M25 does run through it.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Are there any peeps that travel that stretch regularly to clarify?

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
he good news is if you went over the bridge or through the tunnel that fine is still to arrive

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Where's the op gone, could he enlighten us a bit more, there might be a lesson to be learned here, it's certainly not just the crossing.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
The M25 is not part of the LEZ, it is dificult not to see all the LEZ signs when you leave the M25.
I wonder if they had the satnav set to quickest route. Iy may have took them off the M25 and back on due to traffic. If you came down the M1 and it took you on the south circular you would go through the LEZ.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

The M25 is not part of the LEZ, it is dificult not to see all the LEZ signs when you leave the M25.
I wonder if they had the satnav set to quickest route. Iy may have took them off the M25 and back on due to traffic. If you came down the M1 and it took you on the south circular you would go through the LEZ.

Yes - driven it many, many times

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you stay on m25 you are excluded from the lez zone.
Confused as emissions nothing to do with dart charge.
If lez, they used to let you off for first offence.

Upvote 0

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
I don't know which way you actually took but the quickest route in both time and distance using Google maps takes you nowhere near London and the LEZ.

The Dartford Crossing and the 'new' paying structure have been frequently posted on threads on this and other forums for the past couple of years.

You'll know next time won't you?

:france::france::france::france:

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have to say it does look as if you are confusing the Dartford charge with LEZ. These are the penalties for the Dartford crossing.

"The penalty charge is £70 and must be paid within 28 days. It’s reduced to £35 if you pay within 14 days and increased to £105 if you don’t pay."

So the most it should cost is £105 if you hadn't paid in the 28 days..... Tough I know but there tiz!

Upvote 0

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
andyman is right the m25 is not part of LEZ i live 12 miles from it crossed loads of times going down to Dover in my 20 year old hymer. £2.50 one way pay in advance online simples. I did stray into the LEZ coming back from France but thats another story £200 thank you very much.Now i get from the wife stay on the M25 you know what happened last time

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
.The standard charge for my 17 year old mh would be £100.00 because of the emissions, anyone else had bother like this or is it just me.

As everyone else has said , some how you have entered the london emission zone.

Upvote 0

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
My sat nav was set for no toll roads traffic was building up so turned onto A2 by the time i see the warnings it was to late £200 as i was 4100kg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stringa
Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
The first time I went it cost me £2.50 which I didn't know about until I got back (driving in the car ) so the next time I went thinking it was the same route and yes I new I had to pay ( thinking it was the same amount ) and I'll pay when I get home but this time I did enter the LEZ but Unknown to me.....just for the nasties I always pay my way, I just never expected to get a kick in the teeth.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So it wasn't Dartford crossing at all, but the LEZ due to you going into the 'zone'?

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Still not very clear though, in the op it was stated dart crossing, so did you get fined for both, and how did you stray into lez off m25

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The first time I went it cost me £2.50 which I didn't know about until I got back (driving in the car ) so the next time I went thinking it was the same route and yes I new I had to pay ( thinking it was the same amount ) and I'll pay when I get home but this time I did enter the LEZ but Unknown to me.....just for the nasties I always pay my way, I just never expected to get a kick in the teeth.

Did you leave the M25?

If you didn't the LEZ would not affect you.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Sounds if you need to get a decent sat nav. Can get a good one for less then £250
Obviously you must have left the M25 and strayed into the LEZ zone. There enough signs.
Not the authorities fault.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why would you pay when you got home when obviously you knew you wouldn't be there for a month, and having done it before must have known you would get find, sorry for being so negative but it just doesn't make sense.

Upvote 0

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I for one can sympathize @stringa even if your not getting much we are all human & we all can make mistakes. I made one the same, We came back from Snetterton a few years back & were going to stop over with friends in Romford something we have done times, at time we hadn't realised they had extended the LEZ, it was dark we saw signs but thought the route we use doesn't go near, by the time we sussed I could not turn or go back ( at 44.5 ft long with the trailer ) we had to go on. Funny thing when we got there our friends had no idea they were in the zone, :whistle:

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Both times I crossed the Dartford Crossing was at night so didn;t pay anything. I thought it was going to be a toll booth set-up anyway so had some Sterling at the ready, think its free after 10pm?...not sure but never got anything in the post....Not surprising as I live in Ireland and Irish plates:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back