Darren

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Canterbury Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola
Exp
im in Spain at the moment. I have just switched to a Spanish butane bottle, the fridge and cooker works on it but the heating will not fire up on it. When I put my calor propane bottle back on it fires up straight away. Anyone had this problem?

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Could it be the presher turn others off and try heating then put others on one by one .

OP
OP
Darren

Darren

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Canterbury Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola
Exp
Still the same even putting one piece of equipment on one at a time. The boiler will not fire up on Spanish gas

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Common problem with Combi's, butane can not deliver a high enough flow rate, problem is worse the colder it is, as then the butane can't gas off fast enough.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What regulator(s) are you using ?

A bulkhead 30mb or top of bottle regulators ?

OP
OP
Darren

Darren

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Canterbury Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola
Exp
I have the jumbo adaptor on the bottle which then goes to the bulk head regulator

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have the jumbo adaptor on the bottle which then goes to the bulk head regulator

so should be ok..

what is the weather like.. is it cold at night ?

It may be too cold for Butane to work properly.. If below 6c it stops gassing ..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suspect its because it's butane rather than propane - whilst your other appliances work they won't have such a high demand for gas as the heating will so couple that with it being cool, hence why you want the heating on, then butane will not gas so well as when it's warm ... when you DON'T need the heating on.:doh:

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
so should be ok..

what is the weather like.. is it cold at night ?

It may be too cold for Butane to work properly.. If below 6c it stops gassing ..
Just to be perdantic butane stopps gasing at 0c, agree it is useless at 6c not much cop until above 10c.:)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just to be perdantic butane stopps gasing at 0c, agree it is useless at 6c not much cop until above 10c.:)

in pedantic mode.. Boiling point of Butane is -1 °C but who cares..

my post wasn't a chemistry lesson, but just good old fashioned practical advice.. as you said.. at 6c Butane is all but useless

OP
OP
Darren

Darren

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Canterbury Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola
Exp
I have tried it in the middle of the day when it's warm and still no lighting. This afternoon I am going to try and swap it for a propane one. Maybe these combo boilers do not like butane?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have tried it in the middle of the day when it's warm and still no lighting. This afternoon I am going to try and swap it for a propane one. Maybe these combo boilers do not like butane?

provided it isn't too cold.. it shouldn't be a problem on Butane

.. Truma information says it should work equally well on either gas

have you tried another bottle of Butane ? could you borrow one just to test ?

OP
OP
Darren

Darren

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Canterbury Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola
Exp
I'm going to change it for a propane bottle The nights have started to really drop in temperature so I think a propane bottle is the way to go till I get home.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm going to change it for a propane bottle The nights have started to really drop in temperature so I think a propane bottle is the way to go till I get home.

good plan..

even when it gets warmer during the day, the Butane in the bottle will take many hours to reach a decent temperature and gassing point.. if it ever does.. unless you warm it on the cooker (joke)

I haven't used Butane in donkeys years..

OP
OP
Darren

Darren

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Canterbury Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola
Exp
Update

Have exchanged the orange butane bottle for an orange propano bottle. The Boiler fired up straight away and has been fine. Maybe these combo boilers don't like butane gas

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looks like it was too 'cool' for the butane to gas properly, at least you can keep warm now!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
17 degrees today. Will investigate further when home
TBH Darren, no need to waste your time investigating, as the answers are above, ie, the butane gas was at too low a temperature to gas off, regardless of what the ambient temperature is.
Changing over to propane solved the problem, as the liquid inside the cylinder was able to gass off at the lowere temperature. Like @scotjimland, I haven't used butane since my early caravanning days.......................when I found out why my heating wouldn't operate in March, with a full cylinder of.................... wait fot it.................butane. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Butane can really catch you out. It may be that the air temperature is high enough for it to boil off - but as it does so it cools itself down. The more it boils (which happens when you draw off more gas) the lower the temperature of the bottle. You can often see a ring of frost on a gas bottle when in theory day is warm enough to use butane.

OP
OP
Darren

Darren

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Canterbury Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola
Exp
TBH Darren, no need to waste your time investigating, as the answers are above, ie, the butane gas was at too low a temperature to gas off, regardless of what the ambient temperature is.
Changing over to propane solved the problem, as the liquid inside the cylinder was able to gass off at the lowere temperature. Like @scotjimland, I haven't used butane since my early caravanning days.......................when I found out why my heating wouldn't operate in March, with a full cylinder of.................... wait fot it.................butane. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Ok will stick to propane out here. Just wondering why at midday at 17 degrees the butane still would not gas off?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back