Is it possible to settle in another country while living in a motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Misunderstood

Free Member
Dec 7, 2015
Brussels
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
7 months
Can you settle registering an address at a campsite in Belgium, france, UK etc while living in your motorhome like the gens voyage?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I don't know about a campsite but in France you could buy a piece of land ( or rent it I suppose) park up your motorhome and you can call it your home.
where I lived ( Dordogne) people living in a caravan/ static on their land ( with either no bricks and mortar at all or a building that was not habitable) paid a nominal €100 a year taxe fonciere.
You could receive mail through a post office box which seem to be available at nearly all post offices in France.
For insurance advice you could always call Bruno Sellier, based in Cognac. Everyone speaks English and they're always helpful.

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Cannot answer your question definitively, as I see you refer to Belgium, France & UK.
Many campsites on the Costa del Sol here in Spain have a section dedicated to long term/permanent residents. They do seem to be exclusively dedicated to caravans as opposed to motorhomes. Many of them have resident post boxes in their offices, so suggests that it is possible, but you need to do a lot of research before taking the plunge.

Good luck

Bryan

PS: Many of these zones all to frequently have a number of, apparently, abandoned vans which makes these areas unattractive as a place of permanent residence.
B

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I don't know about a campsite but in France you could buy a piece of land ( or rent it I suppose) park up your motorhome and you can call it your home.
where I lived ( Dordogne) people living in a caravan/ static on their land ( with either no bricks and mortar at all or a building that was not habitable) paid a nominal €100 a year taxe fonciere.
You could receive mail through a post office box which seem to be available at nearly all post offices in France.
For insurance advice you could always call Bruno Sellier, based in Cognac. Everyone speaks English and they're always helpful.
Very cheap too, you can get a barn for less than ten grand

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i live on el raco benidorm and get mail np

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

I don't know Pauline if that depends on the local council rules but I can tell you that gendarmes recently called in cause there was a huge meet up on the stadium, and they were there to keep an eye on it.
There were 2 of them, one who with I am friend, and one I had never seen before. The new one had a look at my caravan, and said to me "how long has it been parked here? Cause you know you are not allowed static more than 3 months" My friend interfered right away and said to his mate , "Don't worry there is no caravan here... can't you see?":D.... After a second look , the new gendarme said ... oh yes of course:whistle: :rolleyes:! My caravan is still there, had been there for 5 years now, but without any friend among the local gendarmes... I would have had to move it away!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Cannot answer your question definitively, as I see you refer to Belgium, France & UK.
Many campsites on the Costa del Sol here in Spain have a section dedicated to long term/permanent residents. They do seem to be exclusively dedicated to caravans as opposed to motorhomes. Many of them have resident post boxes in their offices, so suggests that it is possible, but you need to do a lot of research before taking the plunge.

Good luck

Bryan

PS: Many of these zones all to frequently have a number of, apparently, abandoned vans which makes these areas unattractive as a place of permanent residence.
B

We have friends that live on a site in Almeria (which is part of Andalucia.)
Notwithstanding that they own the static and are registered with the Authorities as residents, they are not allowed officially to call it 'Home'. Don't know the legalities.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think the OP has been moved on.

Still, it was an interesting question but what if you wanted to tour? Rather defeats the object of having a MH if you can't without having to re-register every time you moved.

I liked the idea of a plot somewhere and a box in the local post office.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If your in a Brit registered MoHo you will have to bring it into the UK once a year anyway for MOT won't you?

Reactions: DBK
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If your in a Brit registered MoHo you will have to bring it into the UK once a year anyway for MOT won't you?

You'd have to do more than that. After 6 months in the same country you're meant to re-register it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Really?

Do you do that?

Never met anyone who has... yet.

JJ :cool:

Never been able to stay out that long yet :(

Knowing my luck if I did I would be the first person ever to be caught and fined or whatever for not re registering.

From what I've read on here I understand it would usually be easier to sell it and buy one already registered in your country of choice.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Why unregistered long termers prefer caravans....cheaper and less hassle. People in Benidorm for many many years. Well over 10 years in some cases

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I 've done a few searches and in France, If you can quickly move, whatever you have decided to put on your land , it will be under the status/rules of a caravan : You have to move after 3 months having been static. (there's a trick I found you can use).
If it's a mobilhome and you have built something around to have more space, and so you can't move it, then you have to go to the Mairie to ask for a permission. You will have taxe foncière to pay as Pauline mentioned it in her post. Tricky bit is , this permission runs for 3 years . Then you can be asked to move....or not if you're a lucky one and go for another 3 years permission.

I found a trick for the 3 months rules when you own the land. You get it officially measured and divided into 4 bits, having the water running in the centre. Then you will own 4 lands! Once your 3 months are over, you just move your caravan onto the next bit of land... easy peasy, that way you go round the year no prob...LOL !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back