Stolen Transits (1 Viewer)

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Read another sad tale about a much loved MH getting stolen, again its a late Transit base, just search stolen Transit Vans on google, Transits are the most stolen vehicle brand in the UK, Ford are aware and have done nothing, anyone with a trasit based vehicle should put additional security on it, the cost minimal compared to the human and monetary cost of having yours nicked.

Officers have launched an operation after a substantial increase in the theft of Transits that are of a 2010 model or onwards.
And it is thought that thieves are using a new way to steal the vehicles.
Detective Chief Inspector Steve Thomas in charge of Operation Hewton, said:
"There has been a recent spate of thefts of these vehicles so it is important that we get the warning out there about what is happening. We are doing all that we can to ensure that offenders are brought to justice and this includes working with manufacturers, partners and neighbouring forces to disrupt the market that supports this criminal activityBroken Link Removed
"I am coordinating a wide range of covert and overt operational policing activity across West Yorkshire and this includes specific operations where vehicles have been stopped by marked police vehicles or officers to ensure they have not been stolen.
"We have also carried out a number of warrants in the West Yorkshire area linked to this type of theft, made a number of arrests and recovered five stolen vans."
There has been a 91.2% increase in van theft across the force in the last six months. Of those thefts, over 60% are of Ford Transits of models from 2010 or more recent. Most of those Transit thefts (72.8% - or 268 thefts) are by 'unknown' means.
DCI Thomas added: "We believe offenders are taking the vehicles without the key - so using locksmith keys and jamming equipment and then selling them for parts.
"We are writing to all Ford Transit van owners in West Yorkshire that show up on our records to warn them about the recent increase and to tell them what they can do to reduce the threat.
"Advice includes leaving the vehicle at work whenever possible, or leaving it in a well lit area. Owners can also purchase additional security systems. If you buy anything make sure you try to buy something that are Sold Secure or Thatcham accredited / approved. A good old fashioned steering wheel lock will prevent many of these offences.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
This is old news from Wednesday, 8 April, 2015, orginal:
Broken Link Removed

All the more reason for a good alarm ( Eddie ) system that you use all the time...........

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
In the news last week there was a scrap yard absolutely full of stolen Transits, stripped and dismantled within hours of being stolen.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
And 8 people locked up.

Keyless thefts are becoming more common on all vehicles. The fact Transits were targeted is more an indicator of the fact they are more common and the market for used parts is more profitable than for less common models. A Transit isn't necessarily any more vulnerable than any other vehicle.
The thieves plug a device into the OBD port and bypass the security. Plenty of BMWs and Range Rovers have suffered the same fate.

A hidden switch in the starter solenoid circuit is probably the best countermeasure.
Or a big dog and a shotgun!

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
Had my Range Rover stolen on Friday as I was walking away from it it happen that fast I did not even get to my front door stolen without keys and locked we have them on cctv from start to finish less than 2 minutes we recovered later
as my car is the only one in area of its colour thiefs decided to remove plates and my motorhome fun sticker and drive around but my son found them when the dumped car the left there phone and open drinks plenty Dna
So it not just transits but I am on phone tomorrow to van bits about there text message. imobilizer

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Loads of guides on how to pick ford locks no idea why youtube let them be on there . One of hundreds

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Does this mean transits after 2010 but not before I wonder?
We have an 07.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It is believed that these vehicles are stolen and broken up to supply
the 2nd hand spares department of unscrupulous parts suppliers
these types and their customers wouldn't be seen dead in transits over two years old so you and me are safe
plus there is a mountain of spares for older vehicles

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Found out the hard way how to open a VW Caravelle.
Mine is a 98 and had my laptop stolen. Was locked when I got back so none the wiser.
Police showed me. Cut a tennis ball in half. Cover the lock with the half ball and hit it hard. The air pressure trips the central locking a majority of the time.
Only went for a pee so 5 mins is all it took to get in on a motorway service station which is apparently a hot spot.
Park next to a hedge in future and kill the weeds.:mad:

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
late transits can be opened with a hacksaw blade making all doors unlock, ford have a software upgrade but it will still unlock drivers door

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
late transits can be opened with a hacksaw blade making all doors unlock, ford have a software upgrade but it will still unlock drivers door
Maybe, maybe not.... But does a hacksaw override the immobiliser, electronic steering lock and start the engine
The electronic gadget freely available on eBay for little money, and probably used in most if not all transit theft does.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Police showed me. Cut a tennis ball in half. Cover the lock with the half ball and hit it hard
All the police round here carry a tennis ball just incase anyone needs a demonstration too. :rolleyes:

VW locking worked on VACUUM ACTUATORS with link rods to the lock.
Hitting half a tennis ball would only pass air through the lock barrel which is remote from the SEALED actuator.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Found out the hard way how to open a VW Caravelle.
Mine is a 98 and had my laptop stolen. Was locked when I got back so none the wiser.
Police showed me. Cut a tennis ball in half. Cover the lock with the half ball and hit it hard. The air pressure trips the central locking a majority of the time.
Only went for a pee so 5 mins is all it took to get in on a motorway service station which is apparently a hot spot.
Park next to a hedge in future and kill the weeds.:mad:
I don't believe that, I've had many vw t4 caravelle and multivans.

But there is a way of getting in the cab doors very easily by removing the door mirror

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
Interesting that this story is from West Yorkshire as some b*****d tried to steal my Ford Transit van at Hartshead Services on the M62.
Serves me right for going in for a BurgerKing when I should have been on a diet.
I also knew the locks were vulnerable but hadn’t booked it in for a lock update!
There was a police car parked up when I came out and I think that’s why they stopped.
I’ve now got new locks and plates behind my door opening, because apparently a hacksaw through there completely unlocks everything.

Attachments

• 12794C98-C129-4A58-9218-2EA8F1D8D6B0.jpeg
    12794C98-C129-4A58-9218-2EA8F1D8D6B0.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 40
  • A8890070-730E-4ACF-BEE9-C51F3E2D3D13.jpeg
    A8890070-730E-4ACF-BEE9-C51F3E2D3D13.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 38
  • D66B8395-09BA-4135-A010-016D35BF2B40.jpeg
    D66B8395-09BA-4135-A010-016D35BF2B40.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 37

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
apparently a hacksaw through there completely unlocks everything.

No hacksaw needed - twisting the lock barrel with a pliers unlocks everything and turns off the alarm. You can see the marks on the barrel where they’ve done this

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
No hacksaw needed - twisting the lock barrel with a pliers unlocks everything and turns off the alarm. You can see the marks on the barrel where they’ve done this

Yes but then if you have the lock barrel secured, as I have now, they then take a hacksaw down the door edge that also cuts all wiring.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
A near neighbour had his new transit Chausson stolen and the body was recovered virtually intact in a yard in Essex. apparently somebody wanted a new chassis and engine/gearbox for their tipper.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back