Replacement Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We have a Bessacar 665 which was our first ever motorhome, Buster has been fantastic and we have had no problems whatsoever. It's layout has been ideal and everything works wonderfully..

However, it is getting on for 8 years old and now thinking it is time to change.

Must have's:
- no longer than 7.35m
- fixed bed
- oven
- 4 travel seats
- 4 berth
- light interior ( no dark or darkish wood....)

Could be new or used, any suggestions for a quality replacement much appreciated

Thanks

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We have a Bessacar 665 which was our first ever motorhome, Buster has been fantastic and we have had no problems whatsoever. It's layout has been ideal and everything works wonderfully..

However, it is getting on for 8 years old and now thinking it is time to change.

Must have's:
- no longer than 7.35m
- fixed bed
- oven
- 4 travel seats
- 4 berth
- light interior ( no dark or darkish wood....)

Could be new or used, any suggestions for a quality replacement much appreciated

Thanks
Have you thought about an A class with drop down bed? Frees up a huge amount of room

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Have you thought about an A class with drop down bed? Frees up a huge amount of room

I like the idea of an A class, but in the must haves, I forgot to list my wife's fear of confined spaces and drop down beds with low headroom are a no no..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I like the idea of an A class, but in the must haves, I forgot to list my wife's fear of confined spaces and drop down beds with low headroom are a no no..
Mrs Deluxe had very similar fears, but in fact her only complaint is that (apart from my snoring - it is alleged) she has to be a little careful when sitting up in bed to drink her morning cuppa. Seriously worth a look as we were surprised, having had a couple of overcab coachbuilts in the past. Appreciate your point though - some of these roof mounted drop down beds are a good idea to free up space but have heard a few stories about the roof not being strong enough and structural problems as a result. Good hunting

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Mrs Deluxe had very similar fears, but in fact her only complaint is that (apart from my snoring - it is alleged) she has to be a little careful when sitting up in bed to drink her morning cuppa. Seriously worth a look as we were surprised, having had a couple of overcab coachbuilts in the past. Appreciate your point though - some of these roof mounted drop down beds are a good idea to free up space but have heard a few stories about the roof not being strong enough and structural problems as a result. Good hunting
Don't worry, she's says that about all the men..... Only joking......!!!!
I like the idea of a drop down bed for the odd guests but prefer a fixed bed, however, some of the motorhomes have large garages which again gives restricted headroom in the bed. Having said that , we did see a Burstner at the NEC which had a great bed with headroom and still had a reasonable garage.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I like the idea of a drop down bed for the odd guests but prefer a fixed bed, however, some of the motorhomes have large garages which again gives restricted headroom in the bed. Having said that , we did see a Burstner at the NEC which had a great bed with headroom and still had a reasonable garage.
Yes, we would like a garage but also like the end bathroom even better........ There are loads of options out there so best of luck with the hunt. What I would never do again is buy a British built van, though...

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Yes, we would like a garage but also like the end bathroom even better........ There are loads of options out there so best of luck with the hunt. What I would never do again is buy a British built van, though...

Chausson 610 or 620 then!

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I have read so many threads and problems with British vans and I love the idea of a quality German van, but the difficulty in trying to convince the Beauty Terrorist is that our current British built van had never let us down ,have had no problems with it and apart from a small garage suits us well. We have a over cab bed which when it is only the 2 of us (90% of the time), we can use it for additional storage. Plus the Bessacar is plated as 4050kg, so we have loads of payload..

Am almost talking myself out of changing the more I write about it...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If the MH suits you and you just 'feel' like a change but otherwise there's no reason, why not look to do some updating to make it feel more modern/refreshed, a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing it with all the possible 'fun and games' any warranty work brings!

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
If the MH suits you and you just 'feel' like a change but otherwise there's no reason, why not look to do some updating to make it feel more modern/refreshed, a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing it with all the possible 'fun and games' any warranty work brings!
You make a really good point. I could add cruise control, upholster to leather, add tank heaters etc..and would be much less than replacing.

I could live without an automatic for a bit longer I suppose...

With the money I save, it could pay for more trips..:):)

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Our A class has a fixed rear bed over a large garage, it is 7.1m long. The bed goes up and down on a remote control so we put it up when messing about in there but have it right down when we sleep - you dont need a ladder or step when it is down and there is very good head height. Even right down for sleeping you can still get 3 bikes in the garage plus storage boxes etc.... With the bed right up I can stand in the garage (albeit slightly stooped).

The pull down bed is huge and pulls down so its only just above table height so not claustrophobic at all. Although ours is now not made the equivalent would be the Adria Sonic !600 SP Broken Link Removed

Jen

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
So to bring you back to your OP - why are you changing? Every van has compromises, if you can live with those compromises, why change?
New van with better insulation, more efficient engine, hopefully a bigger garage, low line as opposed to a high line.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Mines 10 years old and like new....don't build em like they used too. Keep it, save sooooooo much money :)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Our 2009 Bolero was bought used at 2 years old, only done 13K now, just finished getting it as we want it, so no point in selling it to start again, it suits our needs at the moment.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Elle is 16, had a good look around for the past few years but can't find a van that would suit us better. Having seen so many newer vans that are being worked on for damp repairs, I don't want to risk changing and ending up with bigger problems. Elle will grow old, along with us!! :happy:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
New van with better insulation,

Is that such a problem ?

more efficient engine,

More complex and possibly more trouble.

hopefully a bigger garage,

Room for more junk.

low line as opposed to a high line.

You must have a low bridge near you.

See RED.

Note: The last line is a joke and should not be attempted.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I'm interested in this thread, similarly to the OP our van is 8 years old, had damp issues with this years hab check and has rust coming around the windscreen surround, needs tidying outside (re sealing mostly)
We are having thoughts about changing ours for something newer because I worry about constant upkeep, not gauranteed that a newer van will not need attention but surely less likely, plus the older the van gets the more money you need to stump up to change, catch 22 really

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back