Need new hard drive recorders at home (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
At home we currently have some hard drive / DVD recorders which are getting old in the tooth and keep playing up (like not recording hubby's rugby :D ) and sometimes loose the plot totally, so we're looking to replace them but aren't sure what with.

We have ones with built in DVDs so that we can transfer programmes we've recorded to the hard drive to DVD to take away in the camper as our Avtex won't play them via the USB connection (see separate thread).

Assuming I can get the Avtex to play USB/portable hard drive recordings done elsewhere I won't need the DVD bit, therefore I assume I'll just need a hard drive recorder with a USB 'out'? If so, can anyone recommend any models - I'd need to get a couple of them so wouldn't want to pay the earth but don't want a load of rubbish either.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Can't help with suggesting any hard drives but maybe I can with the Avtex USB problem.

It only supports USB drives formatted in a certain way and will only play standard media file type of which the DVD format isn't one.

Bit more info here:

avtex.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks Nic - I think he's already tried everything the could find on the internet but I'll pass this on to him just in case ... you never know!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have recently installed a new WD hard drive, it does everything it says on the box. It is a WD cloud share 3tb, it's storage is available from anywhere on any phone tab or pc. 10/10

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
When our Pan-a-cronic box played up in a similar manner, I rescanned all the channels. This seemed to work but a by product of the rescan was that all the recording timers were deleted. Now when it plays up I just delete the inactive timers. A bit of a pain but it does help.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks Nic - I think he's already tried everything the could find on the internet but I'll pass this on to him just in case ... you never know!

It''s from the instruction manual for my TV. As far as I know it's the same for all models.

I only know because it's come up a couple of times before

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can't help with suggesting any hard drives but maybe I can with the Avtex USB problem.

It only supports USB drives formatted in a certain way and will only play standard media file type of which the DVD format isn't one.

Bit more info here:

View attachment 92459
I think the key point is your video recordings need to be in mpeg 2 format. If your video recorder can't do that you would need to convert them using a pc, which can be a slow process and more hassle than it may be worth.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I have a Topfield 5800, you can transfer any recorded programs to a PC or HDD.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back