Why can't I keep water in the tank ? (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Right, I've put fresh water in the tank, and when I switch on the 12v system water pours out from under the van, I've closed the tap at the boiler and the tap on the tank. The temp outside is about 4 deg C

No water does come out if 12v not switched on, only if on.

No matter how much water we put in the van it won't stay in, is it because the outside temp is too low ?? if so how do we keep water in the van in cold weather ?

It's a Hymer Tramp 552 so 'winterised' whatever that means.

We wanted to go out today but until we resolve the water issue we can't.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Sounds like a leak, split pipe etc..
The pump will give it pressure and maybe at that point it get pushed out.
Some Truma boilers have a "dump valve" that operate and prevent the boiler from freezing.. I'm not familiar with Hymers or this dump issue.. Sure someone will be along with more info soon..

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our MH water heater has a dump valve which ditches the water if the temperature gets down to 4C and it is switched off - it is frost protection. This could be the problem, wait until it gets warmer and see if the problem goes away. However, these valves can get stuck open due to lime scale. If this is the case descaling might cure it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Hi - I'm unfamiliar with your van so don't know which boiler you have.

On my boiler the auto frost protection needs the tap closing and a little button pushing in as well. If it's cold around this area you might need to warm the van first to stop it reactivating.

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
In order for water to flow only when the 12v system is switched on suggests that power supply is activation the pump and that a trap is open somewhere. The pump is activated by the taps on the sink and the shower which operate a micro-switch when the tap lever is pulled up. Are your taps firmly closed? The likely vent from which the water is flowing is the frost protection valve (FPV) for the Truma. You probably have a C3004 Truma and the frost valve is normally next to it. It looks like the item on the left of the picture below. This opens when the temperature falls to around 4°C and cannot be reset until the temperature is around 7-8°C. The red button clicks into the closed position by pulling it up and falls to the open position when the temperature drops. Either start the Truma and warm it up first, or hold the red button on the FPV closed until the van is warm (in the up position). This can be done with a peg, but do not forget to remove it once the van is warm.

p.s. it would help to know what year your Tramp was made since versions of fittings changed over the model's production life. Also, is this a new problem or has it happened before - is the van new to you?

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have a 'dump valve' on our Hymer. We keep a peg on it to stop it operating, but you must remember it's there!
You should check first to make sure everything is in order with all the valves/mechanisms etc!

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
After the winter I ALWAYS need to switch the boiler on with gas for 10mins to ensure the auto dump valve will stay closed - Gordon

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
If it isn't the dump valve you've got a leak!

Upvote 0

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
If you have the system that the taps have a micro switch in them and when you turn on 12 volt water runs out it would seem you have a split pipe. Did you drain down the water system before it got cold. The pipes can freeze very easily in winter. We drain the water in our van mid November and use it as a dry van during the winter and don't refill until Mid March. Just use 5ltr bottles in the van for short trips in winter. Only leave water in the whole system if you live in it all winter like we used to do.

Upvote 0

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
If you don't know where the dump valve is, put water in the tank and have a look under the van to see where it's coming out. The dump valve will be directly Obote the outlet. It's probably a blue plastic valve with a tap on the top you turn and a button on the side you press in to reset it.n good luck!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it is not the dump, more likley to be the vent valve if it is a Truma Combi, at the top of the boiler where the hot water take off is there is a red "T" with a built in vent valve, you will have 2 pipes attached to it, one is the hot water feed the other is a clear vent tube which goes out under the floor. Tempory fix is to clamp off the vent pipe.

Truma vent elbow

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Thanks for all your replies, the van is 2009 model, the water is coming out of a small bore pipe under the van, there appear to be two of these about 15mm diameter.
The only valve I can see by the Truma boiler is a tall black jobbie with a blue 'T' handle on top which turns and has a button at the bottom. I have turned this to 90deg to pipe and pushed in button.

I have closed the taps and the motor stops in the tank. I don't think it's a split pipe or a leak.

I'll have another go tomorrow.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
There may be something in THIS thread that may be of interest to you.. or not :)

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I have this valve in my van, I have closed it and pushed the button in.

Broken Link Removed

Hi Busybuilder... sorry this may be stupid as my own system is slightly different. . but you say you have 'pushed the button in'. If I push the button IN then that empties the water in my system .. hence the need for a peg to keep the button OUT... As I say, sorry if this silly answer ... I don't know your system.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have this valve in my van, I have closed it and pushed the button in.

Broken Link Removed
I think that's the correct procedure with that valve. Somebody will soon be along if it isn't :)
Hi Busybuilder... sorry this may be stupid as my own system is slightly different. . but you say you have 'pushed the button in'. If I push the button IN then that empties the water in my system .. hence the need for a peg to keep the button OUT... As I say, sorry if this silly answer ... I don't know your system.
Different system in your van and ours Joy :)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks for all your replies, the van is 2009 model, the water is coming out of a small bore pipe under the van, there appear to be two of these about 15mm diameter.
The only valve I can see by the Truma boiler is a tall black jobbie with a blue 'T' handle on top which turns and has a button at the bottom. I have turned this to 90deg to pipe and pushed in button.

I have closed the taps and the motor stops in the tank. I don't think it's a split pipe or a leak.

I'll have another go tomorrow.
As you have closed the dump valve, as I said in my earlier post (post#12) it is probably the vent valve on the hot water take off, it's a common problem.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Thanks Lenny, I'll have another look tomorrow, the timber shelf (under the bed) on the top of the boiler is shielding it from view, if it is that I'll order another thanks for the link.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Okay had another go today, put water in tank, water stayed put till I switched on a tap (sink) then the water is trying to come out of the tap but water is also coming out of a pipe under the van. There are 3 pipes in this area but I can only see one from inside the van....and I've looked everywhere but these 3 pipes are within an 2" of each other.

I removed the red valve (Truma vent elbow) from the boiler and turned on a tap, water came out under the van but not from the red valve.

So water drains from a pipe under the van but not from the 'red' valve and the dump valve makes no difference either. I tried the tank drain valve as well but the water drains from a totally different area under the van so not that.

I'm stumped, if I could only see the 3 pipes inside the van I could see where the water is coming from. The inside of the van is totally dry.
Outside temp today is around 9 degC.

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
There are also drain cocks in the hot and cold pipelines. This is to allow you to drain down the pipework as well as the tank. They are often located near the Truma, or sometimes near the waste dump valve if yours has a double floor. They probably look something like one of the systems in the pictures below (Item 1 in each picture). If you have not closed these, you will get exactly the symptoms you describe.

upload_2016-2-8_14-58-4.png

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Sounds like you got a lose connection. If my dump valve on the boiler has opened, often the water will stay in the system until a tap is opened and will then all drain away. But sounds like you investigated that.
Maybe time to get it looked at if it's beyond your capabilities ?

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Just had a thought - do you have the manual for your Hymer? All the issues relating to water systems (and pretty much everything else) should be described in there, including the locations of items such as drain cocks, fuses etc. If you do not have one, I should email Hymer and ask them to send you a pdf version - don't forget to quote your serial number if requesting this. info@hymer.com

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
There are only 3 pipe connections to the Combi, cold water in, Hot water out & the vent tube, so I would look at Philip's suggestion that you could have the pipework drain tap open.
With the Combi C6 Hymer often only fit one drain tap on the cold water pipes often just behind the dump valve.

Combi drawing showing connections.

upload_2016-2-8_16-9-36.png

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jean -Luc

You are a star (y)

Found those two valves, shut them and hey presto water out of the tap and none from under the van.

Thank you thank you thank you I thought this would drive me insane !!

I owe you a pint :D

These taps are normally at a low point in the water system so remember where they are and open them when its going to freeze (y)

Reactions: GJH
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back