Fridge problems on mains (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think I know the answer, so really looking for a sanity check here.

Just got to the van and hooked up, switched everything on, and all of a sudden, I hear the fridge igniting on gas! Odd so I check the panel and I have fault code 1. So I check the mains voltage, steady at 230v. Next pop off the covers and check voltage at the HC red and white wires, get 12.91 volts. In my mind, if I get a reading at the HC wires, this rules out the fuse. Am I correct? I am thinking that the heater element has had it and needs to be replaced.
Thanks in advance.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
That was our experience with a Thetford fridge. Got a new element on Ebay though had to remove the fridge to fit it.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
That's the most likely and easily replaced but you may have to pull the fridge out from it's housing to get at it if not accessible from the exterior vents.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It always helps in these kind of threads to tell us make and model of fridge in question. It could be the heater element or it could be something else. You have established 12V DC power at the fridge but have you checked for 230V mains being present at the fridge? If 230V is present then it might be the heater element or it might be the main PCB at fault.

D.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It always helps in these kind of threads to tell us make and model of fridge in question. It could be the heater element or it could be something else. You have established 12V DC power at the fridge but have you checked for 230V mains being present at the fridge? If 230V is present then it might be the heater element or it might be the main PCB at fault.

D.
You are quite right, I believe it is an N175, and I have checked for mains at the fridge, it is present and stable. The only real way to test the element really would be to test the resistance across the element, I am not going to pull the fridge out in this weather. If it ever stops raining, I will check it :D

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Finally stopped raining, so I checked the element resistance, and no surprise, it is an open circuit. Problem solved.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back