walnut

Free Member
Dec 7, 2008
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E495
Exp
Just seen a motorhome stuck along a narrow lane near St Agnes in Cornwall.
Every motorhome owners worst nightmare.

SDC10263.jpg

SDC10264.jpg

We stopped 1/2 a mile away from this spot, if we had of come from St Ives Tomtom would of sent us down this road.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm sure he appreciated you recording for posterity .. :roflmto:

thanks for sharing , great pics

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if they'de read the road they would have seen the skid marks on the corner and gone much wider:Eeek:

saying that i've done it meself and the corner steadies took some straightening:Blush:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
So how do you read tomtom to avoid this?. Would the cyclist walker setting be better.
One of the daughters wants to look up family history in St Columb Minor but
this has put me off Cornwall.
Lucille

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The pictures illustrate why I still use maps as well as satnav.

Rgds
Bill

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So how do you read tomtom to avoid this?
Lucille

You don't you engage brain before driving. This road didn't just spring up and eat him, there should have been signs it was all going pear shaped. Though to be fair to him he may not have been able to turn around before.

Is your van as big as this one ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M

Mike-H

Deleted User
Hes got the right vehicle though... a RoadSCAR :RollEyes: sorry :winky:

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
So how do you read tomtom to avoid this?. Would the cyclist walker setting be better.
One of the daughters wants to look up family history in St Columb Minor but
this has put me off Cornwall.
Lucille

So one persons stupidity has put you off Cornwall :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
More room for us truck drivers during silly season

But i must admit they must sort out that part of the A30:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
looks like the road to blue hills .its a trials hill. lots of roads like this in cornwall .dont care if you have tomtom or just a map its easy to get stuck. a bit later the trees are so low he would never make it any way . m,bike n look its the only way to be sure . how many of us have done this sort of thing if we are honest?

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Got flat feet on my right corner steadie from going down a road like that into the Moselle Valley (towing a bike trailer with 2 bikes on ) . There were no signs about the road becoming a goat track except 14 % and hairpins .
Proved interesting driving just glad I met no one coming the other way. In the first photo it looks like he could have got round if he had took it wider on the approach.

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Thanks vwalan! We certainly did; we got stuck in the 1 way system in St Amour many years ago when we had a caravan. The one way street got narrower with overhanging houses. :help:Finally managed to get out with helpful residents guiding wing mirrors past parked cars.
Lucille

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
There comes a point first that when your navigator sends you down an obviously narrow road you dont go. If you do you then come to the point where you know that what you are driving wont fit so reverse before you get stuck. If it was a cliff you wouldnt drive over ------- would you ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you have to remember some of us do extreme m,homeing .go where we shouldnt with what we have got. wish i could show some of my pics. you wouldnt believe where i take my truck . yes it sometimes works out expensive . but driving above the snow line up the atlas is worth it. or come out the desert n see the look on locals faces its really good. go on have fun .

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
only to get to the beach quickly :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously though I only use sat nav as a guide and always check the suggested route beforehand. Thye are an aid not a substitute for sensible planning.

J

johnandcarol

Deleted User
Go to tom tom homepage, down load FREE bridge height POI along with FREE "bad spot for lorry" POI...it helps, ive not got stuck yet pulling an artic! Although there are HGV specific satnavs, which would be good for MH's.......a little common sense should come into play. As has been said, just because it says "turn left", doesnt mean its the best route, also changing the planning settings from "shortest" to "quickest" helps it guide you down larger, faster roads.

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
sat-nav

i have my garmin set to bus mode in settings, but it still tries to send me down narrow roads.
so that's when i ignore it.

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
looks more like driver error :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:why go so tight on that sort of bend makes a good advert for proff drivers ie coach hgv etc

Road Burner

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
Adventures with tom tom

I use a tom tom for the car and Snooper for the van. Snooper is specially designed for Lorries and you input info such as length and hieght of vehicle. Seems to work for me but I always check the route with a map to make sure.:thumb:

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
That looks like a major highway compared to some of the roads we travelled over during our trip from north to south down the west coast.

That particular problem was just caused by misreading the road. Easily done - but of course the armchair jockeys never make mistakes because they never leave the multilane highways to explore the real countryside..

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
That looks like a major highway compared to some of the roads we travelled over during our trip from north to south down the west coast.

That particular problem was just caused by misreading the road. Easily done - but of course the armchair jockeys never make mistakes because they never leave the multilane highways to explore the real countryside..

Some of us travel these kinds of roads daily ,as i do with 18 tonners .
Very often tighter than that road,never got stuck .

Yep im'e sitting in my armchair as i type:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But come 7.30 am tomorrow i will be behind the wheel of my truck having to deliver building materials in tighter roads than that

And i beleive i live in the real coutryside so see it daily with a commanding view,
proper job

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well - I observe that he didn't.

Perhaps he should go to Specsavers?

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
tom tom

just had a weeks holiday at st agnes becon cc site after being told its ok to get to by cc wardens,and we have a bigger rv already on site,looking at maps,tom tom,phoning i thought no probs WRONG the road into it is so narrow the mirrors were completly buried in the trees,yes i did get through but i think ive aged about 10 years in 5 mins.and to top that there is a 180 degree entrance to the site.the roads around there are car wide not made for rvs,having said that there was lorries coming through but i dont suppose they are bothered about damage like i was,another learning curve i believe but i dont need them at my delicate age.muz

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Muz my mirrors have one or two war wounds and there are times that I draw breath with branches scraping the sides but no damage so far.

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
coming out of the site after doing a 5 point turn droped off the edge of the road and cracked the bottom of the front panel.bugger,ect,ect,dont think i want many experiences like that,but then i am a glutten for punnishment.muz

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Our firs major MH trip was in Cornwall I learned not to blindly trust satnav, however maps don't help a lot more if you don't use your common sense.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back