Anyone use cycle rack - Plastic 'Sewage pipe' storage? (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I've seen a few Moho's with a length of large bore plastic 'sewage pipe' attached to the bike rack. I presume this is to store large Morocco mats or groundsheets etc?

For convenience and space-saving, I quite fancy getting a lump to store my windbreak and poles. Here's a few questions.....

• Does anyone on here use this idea?
  • What's the proper name of the pipe?
  • What is the O.D? Is it 150mm?
  • What method is used to fix the pipe to the rack?
  • How does one attach the pipe's end caps?
Thanks in advance
James

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
It's called soil pipe...
Two types... Above ground ( looks pretty in black or grey) below ground - orangy brown....
Chances are if you nip outside and look at your upstairs soil-stack (loo waste) ...
That'll be it :)

Edit: type diy. Com and look at drainage section :) for fittings etc :)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have one in our garage .. it stores flag pole winder awning rail and stuff. Ideal. Think we probably copied it from techno or someone similarly gifted.
It's not soil pipe and it came with end caps that I put foam in

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I saw one somewhere fitted vertically to the back of a m/h that was used to store a large number of toilet rolls......

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Another use for a bit of soil pipe, end stopped and two bungee cords. Used for - Fishing rods, walking poles, french bread sticks and rolls, bottles of wine, cans of beer.The soft bag is replaced with tackle box (bungeed).

DSC_4148.JPG

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
It's called soil pipe...
Two types... Above ground ( looks pretty in black or grey) below ground - orangy brown....
Chances are if you nip outside and look at your upstairs soil-stack (loo waste) ...
That'll be it :)
Edit: type diy. Com and look at drainage section :) for fittings etc :)

Also available in white(y)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We use a longer one that keeps all our poles for the awning together and it attaches to the inside wall of garage area out of the way.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The Orange pipe is not UV stable.
It may take years but will degrade.

I used a length to store the sewer dump pipe on my RV.
cross wire one end and a pin and R clip at the other so the 4" flexible sewer pipe could dry naturally.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The Orange pipe is not UV stable.
It may take years but will degrade.

I used a length to store the sewer dump pipe on my RV.
cross wire one end and a pin and R clip at the other so the 4" flexible sewer pipe could dry naturally.

Do you me degrade as in colour fade ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Have a length of square plastic gutter in the garage which holds two lengths of flexible hose for the grey waste .. was already fitted when I bought the van.. works well.. easy to store the pipes without having to feed them into a pipe.

Same idea could be used for poles, windbreaks etc ..

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Hi Wingman

I used to use one on my old VW T3 to hold my windbreaks etc. It rested on the bumper and was securely held in place by my towbar mounted bike rack. You would need some soil pipe, the to close the ends either use a socket plug and one screw on end cap or alternatively use two end caps.

I see your not far from me, if you wanted to have a look at mine and see how you could fix something similar to your van, let me know

Cheers

Trevor

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
In Australia I'm told it's not unusual to see camper vans with lengths of black large bore pipe mounted on the roof, sealed at both ends and with a tap sticking out of them.

They're solar water heaters.

Same principle might work in the Med in summer - the black PVC hot water bags certainly work in southern Europe.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In Australia I'm told it's not unusual to see camper vans with lengths of black large bore pipe mounted on the roof, sealed at both ends and with a tap sticking out of them.

Same principle might work in the Med in summer - the black PVC hot water bags certainly work in southern Europe.
When we were in jesolo saw loads of cafes and ice cream places on the beach with large coils of large diameter black hose on the roof for hot water

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Wingman

I used to use one on my old VW T3 to hold my windbreaks etc. It rested on the bumper and was securely held in place by my towbar mounted bike rack. You would need some soil pipe, the to close the ends either use a socket plug and one screw on end cap or alternatively use two end caps.

I see your not far from me, if you wanted to have a look at mine and see how you could fix something similar to your van, let me know

Cheers

Trevor

Thanks Trevor, just noticed your kind post. Will send you a PM. James

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We use a fishing rod tube (with end caps) in our garage fixed to the overhead bed slats using strong Velcro (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Do you me degrade as in colour fade ?
the plastic loses colour and goes brittle

somewhere in my yard I have a length of 150mm drainpipe with screw on end caps each end. it came off a work van and was used to transport long lengths of plastic conduit. it was sprayed red to match the van. 10 plus years later its still solid. a plain brown one from another van is degraded and has a hole and crack in where its been bumped

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
the plastic loses colour and goes brittle

somewhere in my yard I have a length of 150mm drainpipe with screw on end caps each end. it came off a work van and was used to transport long lengths of plastic conduit. it was sprayed red to match the van. 10 plus years later its still solid. a plain brown one from another van is degraded and has a hole and crack in where its been bumped

Plastic guttering Soil stack and other goods discolour when they are made using recycled materials. If they are made using what in the trade we call virgin materials they will not fade or become brittle.
Basically it's down to the quality and price point of the goods we buy.

Cheap stuff fades and goes brittle proper stuff does not .

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I believe it does have something to do with the colour impregnated during manufacture. "Natural" (White) Polyester (Rope) material is affected by UV, and degrades far faster that (say) Orange or even Black. Not sure of the chemistry. But when "Man made" ropes started to appear on Ships, it was noticed that the "Natural" ones broke down and failed faster. I believe the modern ones are more resistant to U-V?.

BTW, We had a near fatality on one ship, when a Natural (coloured) Sling failed, the load narrowly missing a Sailor. One of a batch, because it was nearly new the BOT surveyor had it tested, and the summary was that it was down to storage. having likely been left out in the Sun during the voyage, where the others where stored in a deck house!.

The use of this method (Soil Pipe) was favourite with a lot of R-V owners to carry Sewage Hose, I had two on my first R-V under the Rear fender (surplus from a self build!!). The second R-V had a Roll up flat hose and a Macerator!.

Pete.

Last edited:

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011

I saw one camper with an large old radiator painted black across the roof. It came complete with a shallow "header " tank. Proved very effective providing ample hot, hot, hot water for the single traveller.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Now for the "Posh" Bit. the Winnebago (left). Had an extra coil in the Hot water tank, which ran engine cooling through the cylinder. Arrive on site, or stop for lunch.= Hot water!.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back