Help....please. i need an off the peg spreadsheet for a small business. (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Something cheap or free without any commitment or ties would be good. Something that will record man hours job allocation work description labour costs etc. Thanks in anticipation. (y)

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
another vote for open office, as good as excel and better in some respects

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have clipped that one a bit for you:D

Sorry Chris, did I use too many words, do beg Pa'don, (tugg forelock and bow whilst reversing out)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I just thought the word "spreadsheet" wasn't really needed;)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am a bit confused. All of the suggestions so far have been for spreadsheet programmes. None without further work will do what Buttons has asked will they? He will need to then develop them for that purpose won't he? I thought he was looking for a template to do that?

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I am a bit confused. All of the suggestions so far have been for spreadsheet programmes. None without further work will do what Buttons has asked will they? He will need to then develop them for that purpose won't he? I thought he was looking for a template to do that?
But the whole idea of spreadsheets is the sheer fun and enjoyment that can be derived from their construction.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

I think you may well be correct Peter, just read it again and it sounds as if he wants a working system of files.

I have been asked for many fairly complex solutions for all sorts of applications. Once built they are fairly easy to alter to suit individual requirements though.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
But the whole idea of spreadsheets is the sheer fun and enjoyment that can be derived from their construction.
Errrrrr ....... no, unless you are a nerd. :D The whole point of a spreadsheet is to make things easier and quicker, not more difficult and slower.

The reason I ask is that I have a spreadsheet and I am looking for some sort of automated process to record hours spent against clients and jobs so that I can charge them for my time - can't find a template to do that.

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I created one for a church with income and expenditure for each month with a totaliser at the end and a panel which showed vat owing (as a check only). Not too difficult just try it with a simple page/s.
I had never done it before and used a book from the library to reference creating some of the sums.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
To make a spreadsheet work in a fully automated way and make input simple is Hard.

It's real easy to make a simple spreadsheet but it would need a lot of manual data input.

You have to be a bit of a spreadsheet nerd to enjoy complex spreadsheet construction.

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
If you send me a pm with a list of what information you can put in and what information you want that to produce I will have a go and see if it can either help you or if it is inadequate. I would produce it in numbers on a Mac and export it to Excel.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Another vote for libre office. Saves you paying Microsofts silly prices for excel.

I didn't know about Libre Office so went to have a butchers........ it would seem that, and I quote....

"The vast majority of people will have trouble noticing the difference between LibreOffice and OpenOffice. They’re both free and open-source, so you can always download both to compare — you probably won’t notice too much of a difference."

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Well spotted that man(y) I have a full MS office suit and have made some spreadsheets of types in the past, however, I was hoping to get something off the peg that I could adapt if required. It is for my young son who is now finding his system of recording on the back of fag packets to be a bit lacking. He is pricing work, calculating man hours, finding workers and meeting tight time schedules difficult, he is now sub contracting to large companies so Dad said don't worry son I'll sort something out.
I am after something that will record his man hours with a job description, calculate costs and outgoings similar to his present fag packet system. Any ideas.
Thanks.......(y)

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Returned 2015 after many years of kids and other expenses!
For those interested...

Libre Office was spawned out of Open Office when Oracle changed the license. Open Office was transferred to Apache Foundation. Libre Office remains open source.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If you send me a pm with a list of what information you can put in and what information you want that to produce I will have a go and see if it can either help you or if it is inadequate. I would produce it in numbers on a Mac and export it to Excel.
Thanks John I'll have a go but might take you up on that later.(y)

Clewsy

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin
Exp
since June 2014
I use an android app called "Time recording pro". It captures the time against projects and clients and the data is easily exported to Excel (other formats possible). Easy to use & works for me.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I use an android app called "Time recording pro". It captures the time against projects and clients and the data is easily exported to Excel (other formats possible). Easy to use & works for me.
Thanks Clewsy

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I didn't know about Libre Office so went to have a butchers........ it would seem that, and I quote....

"The vast majority of people will have trouble noticing the difference between LibreOffice and OpenOffice. They’re both free and open-source, so you can always download both to compare — you probably won’t notice too much of a difference."

The difference is the quality of the product and the speed. Libre office has been and is still being cleaned up at a hell of a rate. OpenOffice had become bloated, buggy and slow over time. No more than MS Office to be fair. The Libre office guys are doing a cracking job on it. I moved from Open to Libre 2 years ago or so and the improvements are noticeable if you are a reasonably heavy user.

Libre office is moving faster and they have a much livelier development community.

I am a pretty heavy spreadsheet user and can recommend Libre whole heartedly. I have been running all my spreadsheets on open/libre office since 2000. so almost 16 years now.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The difference is the quality of the product and the speed. Libre office has been and is still being cleaned up at a hell of a rate. OpenOffice had become bloated, buggy and slow over time. No more than MS Office to be fair.

And that's why LibreOffice even runs well on a Raspberry Pi2!(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks John I'll have a go but might take you up on that later.(y)
Same from me buttons, I did my own spreadsheet when I was at work to calculate the costs of hiring out the large performance venue I managed, room cost, hours for porter, technician etc, any extras, vat, less deposits paid etc etc ... let me know if you want me to have a shuftie.

I've just done one for someone else for other use and was able to 'lock' the formula cells etc so that only the ones that are meant to have figures/text put in can be input thus no 'corrupting' the calculations etc!

Mel

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Same from me buttons, I did my own spreadsheet when I was at work to calculate the costs of hiring out the large performance venue I managed, room cost, hours for porter, technician etc, any extras, vat, less deposits paid etc etc ... let me know if you want me to have a shuftie.

I've just done one for someone else for other use and was able to 'lock' the formula cells etc so that only the ones that are meant to have figures/text put in can be input thus no 'corrupting' the calculations etc!

Mel
Thanks Minxy Girl might take you up on that later but I am having a go at doing it myself at the moment with the help of my other son. It is really difficult to lay out exactly what it is that you want it to do without loosing it's usability.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back