Getting a 'Tingle' from the Van, Advice please (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

I'd forgotten all about this but with thinking about the coming season, this problem leapt to the front of the queue.

It concerns a slight shock we receive from the body of the 'van when plugged into EHU but only when we are abroad. We don't get it when in the UK.

I made the assumption that it is caused by
a. No earth in the connection (common over there)
b. Reversed polarity.

That is as far as I've got.

In order to mitigate it when I was on the Continent, I habitually dropped one of the rear steadies that are fitted to the Hobby and additionally gave the 'connection' thus made a watering can of water applied to the leg.
However, I know there is a problem and I don't want to upset the local law officers by dropping the legs whilst 'wilding'

From my very poorly phrased circs. above, can any of you give me suggestions as what my problem is caused by. and how I can cure this.

Thank you in advance to all contributors

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Situation is dangerous. Suggest getting the van checked by a compentant person and the invest in a polarity checker for general use.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would say nothing more than static electricity if dropping a steady stops it..
I used to be prone to it a few years ago.....cars, supermarket freezers, escalators etc.
I think after getting a few proper shocks while doing my job I became immune.

If it was an earth fault the RCD breaker in your van would trip.
REVERSED polarity is immaterial and harmless unless you are working on live equipment.
Try hanging a plain metal chain from a metal part of the van and laid on the ground, that should discharge any static.
It will do the same as dropping a corner steady but wont upset the Gestapo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I have had a couple of cars that actually made a crack and at night I could see a spark, all down to static from the car's fabrics. I realised that as I got out then shut the door, CRACK, I found that by holding the door firmly when getting out gave a steady discharge and this would eliminate any shocks. Seems that getting out then touching, used me as a sudden conductor to ground. Works for me and others that I've advised.
Used to be worse and painful on hot humid days!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I used to get a spark as I reached for the door handle regardless of which car I was driving.

It stopped when I stopped wearing crepe soled desert boots and we stopped laying cheap carpet tiles in the car showroom.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
But the OP isn't talking about static, static is a discharge to earth, instant and over quickly, a tingle is completely different but can still be cured by earthing the MoHo.
As said, get it checked out by a qualified electrician who should test it with a meter that will also test the RCD reaction time. Tell him exactly what happens, where it happens and how you stop it happening. (y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If you notice in Roberts video they are talking about 120volts, we use 230volts that in actual cases is up to 247volts in some areas.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Situation is dangerous. Suggest getting the van checked by a compentant person and the invest in a polarity checker for general use.

Thanks for your post Serendipitous,

Already got a Polarity checker. We will see what we can do about the 'shocking' state of affairs.:groan: (Sorry, Couldn't resist it).

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
But the OP isn't talking about static, static is a discharge to earth, instant and over quickly, a tingle is completely different but can still be cured by earthing the MoHo.
As said, get it checked out by a qualified electrician who should test it with a meter that will also test the RCD reaction time. Tell him exactly what happens, where it happens and how you stop it happening. (y)

Thanks Badknee,
Fortunately my friendly neigbourhood garage has a bloke on tap who fixes all things Lekky. I'll arrange for him to have a look at the 'van when it gets serviced in the next couple of weeks.

Question. This doesn't happen 'Over here' but it happens 'Over there' Any idea why?

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Obviously no pun in 10 did ( old ones are still ok).

Could be static but no confirmation the tingle is not repeated immediately after discharge would have occurred. sugest getting it checked for safety sake. Easy to be wise after the event. Also worth checking the RCD is working ok.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
It is unlikely to be static coming from the van to you, more likely static travelling from you to the van. As pappajon says avoid clothing likely to produce static.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
"avoid clothing likely to produce static."

Does that mean I've got to buy running shoes and a flying helmet":groan:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Quick check - if it's static it will happen whether on EHU or not.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I would say nothing more than static electricity if dropping a steady stops it..
I used to get it a lot when the wife came to bed in a skimpy negligee......But these days, as much as I wind, my steady still drops.......:cry::cry:

Reactions: DBK

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You need an expert on it since you need to ask the question. But at least buy a simple neon mains tester, hook up and standing outside touch it to bare metal on the van, if it glows you are close to killing yourself.

Even with no earth in the hook up, that neon should not light up.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You need an expert on it since you need to ask the question. But at least buy a simple neon mains tester, hook up and standing outside touch it to bare metal on the van, if it glows you are close to killing yourself.

Even with no earth in the hook up, that neon should not light up.
What about standing in a bowl of water, wearing rubber underpants, licking your hand, slapping it against the cab, and shouting "LOOK EVERYBODY, A SPARKLER"! (y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm not sure that is a good idea.
Oh, I dont know........They look rather fetching...........:h::h::h::h: