Isofix or Belted infant car seat (1 Viewer)

TriganoVan

Free Member
Feb 2, 2016
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2012
Hi - bit of a lurker here ... first time I've had a real question that I need to answer.

We've got a 7month old that up to now we've been taking in the Van in his car seat fixed by the 3 point seat belt. But he's outgrowing his infant seat and we're looking for the next one.
With the huge emphasis on safety most car seats are now isofix only (and a huge price) - but our Van (Trigano Tribute 650 PVC) doesn't have isofix points in the rear seat - double forward facing with 3 point belt. Probably doesn't have them in the front either - but I'd rather not sit him in the front just yet!

I asked Trigano about retro-fitting isofix (it's 2 small metal tags) and they just came back with "we're not aware of any way of fitting an isofix system to the existing frame in your vehicle. .... motorhomes actually have an exemption from this regulation"

Well - exemption or not - it's imaterial - we need to fix a car seat in the back of the van for our little lad - isofix would mean we can have 1 seat that will go between all our vehicles - either that or we'd have to get a belted one for all of them - just that isofix seems somewhat more secure!

So - question is - has anyone retrofitted isofix to the rear seats in their van?

TIA

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
No but our grandson's seat will transfer between cars and motorhome with isofix or none.

It's a Joie type :) with a bar across the front for the seat belt. Very secure and very stable although he insists I travel sitting next to him, I think to entertain him :)

EDIT: The isofix fittings in the car are part of a bar that is welded to the chassis so probably no way to retrofit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

TriganoVan

Free Member
Feb 2, 2016
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Puddleduck - it is possible to buy retrofitted isofix for Ford, Audi and a few other vehicles that bolt to parts of the chassis - just not, it seems, for a motorhome... it's really not the "safety" angle I'm bothered about, it's the convenience of fitting and reducing cost on yet another seat.

Apr 28, 2008
rayleigh, essex.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
hi, we have a grand daughter and she has an isofix rear facing seat which we use in our car, we have also the same make which is also rear facing (supposed to be the safest seats for little ones) which we bought for our motorhome it is very secure and would recommend it, the only drawback they are not cheap i think we paid around £300 but worth it if you need the protection in an accident.

Apr 28, 2008
rayleigh, essex.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
sorry forgot the important thing it fits using the fitted seat belts in the rear seats and straps to the front seats.

OP
OP
T

TriganoVan

Free Member
Feb 2, 2016
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2012
and the make/model?

we have isofix base at the moment - the infant seat clicks in and out and can be fitted using a 3 point seatbelt - the next seat that fits in our isofix base is forward facing only (currently legal from 9 months - but that's changing) and cannot be fitted using a 3 point seatbelt.
I'm happy with the safety of the seat and isofix - they're all built at least to the standards set down in law. However, what I was wanting to do was not have to spend £300 x 2 because we are going to stay with isofix for the car - but currently cannot do the same in the van ...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suspect it could cost you several hundred pounds just to convert the MH and then have to live with the risk the installation has never been crash tested.

I guess if the seats and furniture around it were removed it would be possible to get someone to fabricat a tubular frame which picked up from strong points on the chassis and then provided the fixing points for the child seat.

OP
OP
T

TriganoVan

Free Member
Feb 2, 2016
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2012
I suspect it could cost you several hundred pounds just to convert the MH and then have to live with the risk the installation has never been crash tested.

I guess if the seats and furniture around it were removed it would be possible to get someone to fabricat a tubular frame which picked up from strong points on the chassis and then provided the fixing points for the child seat.

yup - you're probably right about the conversion - although heaven knows why - it should be fairly easy to do as it's a metal frame already fabricated (and I assume tested) to take 2 x 3 point seat belts - securely fixed to the chassis - an isofix attachment wouldn't even introduce significantly different stress points - and arguably significantly less - a childs few kilos vs a potential of an adult XXX kilos ...
But it'd probably cost hundreds because mention the word safety and they double the cost ...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
yup - you're probably right about the conversion - although heaven knows why - it should be fairly easy to do as it's a metal frame already fabricated (and I assume tested) to take 2 x 3 point seat belts - securely fixed to the chassis - an isofix attachment wouldn't even introduce significantly different stress points - and arguably significantly less - a childs few kilos vs a potential of an adult XXX kilos ...
But it'd probably cost hundreds because mention the word safety and they double the cost ...
I think if you mention safety no one would touch the job because of the liability question. So on reflection I doubt you will find anyone reputable who would touch the job!

Children are expensive, get used to it! :)

OP
OP
T

TriganoVan

Free Member
Feb 2, 2016
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2012
children aren't expensive - however, companies exploit the parents desire to keep their children safe and charge accordingly.

I could quite easily fabricate some brackets for an isofix connection - problem is the insurance co wouldn't approve ... so if we were hit and it ended up in life changing injuries for our little man then he probably wouldn't get the payout he deserved ...

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We have looked into this issue before, as we're not happy with belt fitted child seats for our grandaughters seats. The seats we use are dual fitment (isofix and belt) - in our cars we use the isofix points, but in the MH we have put up with the belt method of fitment. It's never as secure :(
Our MH certainly doesn't have isofix points, and I'm not aware of any A class / coachbuilt MH with the facility - I'll stand to be corrected though.

As for retrofitting. As isofix points, as simple as they are, are fixed directly to the chassis of a vehicle, I'd wager that'd come down to the same "type approval" issues as installing additional seatbelts. Aint gonna happen.

A serious oversight by MH / chassis (AlKo) manufacturers me thinks.

Apr 28, 2008
rayleigh, essex.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, I will need to get the details of the seat, my daughter uses the seat in her focus c max when she takes the little one out which has no isofix points so it can be used in both cars and motorhomes without isofix

Jimblob

Free Member
Feb 15, 2017
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
C15 NuVenture Junior
Exp
2yrs
I've retrofitted Isofix to my C15 camper
Works really well and is securely bolted through the chassis, so I'm confident it is safe.
This campervan is sadly going up for sale very soon, as we won't be using it this year due to other commitments, and I'd rather it was used!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
A perfectly simple solution Jimblob (y)but has to be DIY, We fitted same to sons camper but cant do it for the public without indemnity cover and as stated that will be his problem too if he cant weld himself
I'll re post your pics for you as it seems there not displaying.
The frame in pic 1 would only require another framework to set it level with the seat cushions and Jim Blobs yer Aunt
Geo

Attachments

• 20150810_123643.jpg
    20150810_123643.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 20150911_172301.jpg
    20150911_172301.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 20160811_192157.jpg
    20160811_192157.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 82

Jimblob

Free Member
Feb 15, 2017
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
C15 NuVenture Junior
Exp
2yrs
Thanks for sorting the pics Geo - I can't weld either (well I reckon I could but I haven't tried). I just went with quality nuts, bolts etc. To be honest it was a little tricky, not for the faint hearted, but it was done carefully, and made the camper usable for us whereas it otherwise wouldn't have been.

The set up in my camper is just perfect, he looks above and over us when we're travelling, and I feel he is in the safest part of the vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back