Solo long term in a panel van? (1 Viewer)

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi Everyone

Paul and I have been motorhoming together since 2010. We have separated, and so the latest van, an Americn RV has been sold. I love the life, and want to continue. However, really not sure what would be best, so hoping the wealth of knowledge on here can help me sort my thoughts out.

I work for myself as an agency worker. This means that I can be away from home for 3 - 6 months or more, during the week. In the past we have parked up on a convenient site, and commuted home at weekends, or gone off for a trip.

i think that good insulation is important. I need something very reliable, and easy to fix, if the fridge packs up, or i smash the awning. I do not want an enormous van, as I want to be able to wild camp, or pub car park around the UK.

I love Portugal, and want to get back down there next winter if possible.

I have a budget of approx 20k, although could stretch to 30k for theright van. I am heading off to the NEC at the end of the month for ideas.

i have looked at a Murvi, and love the layout, not sure how comfortable the bed is? However, they are a bit expensive, and I would have to make up a bed every night. Also, mozzies and biting insects love me, and so a mosquito net/blindover the door would be good. Where doMurvi owners stow thier waste water carrier, and hoses etc.

I also want solar, and decent payload. Does anyone have a view on the Hymer Excis, or Hobby with the narrow width (if you see what I mean.)

Should I get left hand drive, and import something. Could Terry build me a Murvi lite in budget? I don't want anlther Buerstner, we have had two. I am also buying a flat, so will have a base in the UK with parking for something 6m or so.

My head is spinning. I did look at a Carthago Malibu,(not that I can afford one) but the German fixed beds all seem a bit cramped in the lounge area.

Any suggestions gratefully received. I should add that I know little about the mechanicals so would be wary of buying from ebay or the like, as I have no idea what to watch out for.

If you have got to the end, thanks for reading.

Karen

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Karen, sorry to hear of your break-up but pleased you're looking keep on with the MH life which you enjoy.

There are a few ladies who are solos, and a few men too, so they will be a mine of info for you on the differences between that and being part of a 'duo'.

A PVC with a fixed bed would be a good 'smaller' option but similarly there are some good coachbuilts out there too. With your budget I'm sure there's a lot of choice in reality.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello sunshine, sorry you been through the mill with a breakup but what a good choice you have made joining here..... There are lots of people who will help you whether it be with information, company or just a darn good laugh when you need it. Welcome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are going to camp in the UK in winter, even in Devon you needs insulated and heated tanks, especially in so in a Murvi as the waste is underslung and will freeze. We've never found it a problem but we don't winter camp where it is too cold! . The fresh water tank is inside but it might freeze if it got mega old. Most British made 'vans are the same.

We have a Murvi and use folding buckets for fresh and waste, these go under the bed together with the hoses - although we now have a backbox and everything goes in there although this brings the length up to 6.5m. Beds are comfortable but we have a Morroco but I've never heard any complaints about the other models. The bed takes seconds to put up.

If you want a fixed bed in a PVC the Globecar are worthlooking at although I would find the layout too cramped but many like them so have a look and being "foriegn" they are well insulated. They have many enthusiastic owners so it is very much a personal thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi Minxy

I think we met at Camper UK sometime ago, when you had the autocruise. How are you getting on with the Globecar?

I have booked for Chester at Easter, but not sure if I will be able to go, unless I find my van prior to that.

I like the look of the Judge's possl.

Thanks for the messages of support, guys. Very much appreciated

Karen

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have a PVC with a fixed bed and love it. Besides the bed comfort the major advantage is the underbed storage, something which is probably a major factor for someone spending as much time away as yourself. Some may think the lounge is a compromise but I find the swivel drivers seat very comfortable. The heating is excellent, and I have never had the setting above number 3 as it would be far too hot. The downside IMO would be the shower but I always use on site facilities. Having said all that I love it and wouldn't change but perhaps not suitable as a semi perm residence. Have a look at the Chaussons, some quite innovative ideas is short vans these days.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello, sorry to hear about your split but love your positivity to carry on your MH lifestyle. We have looked at the Globecar/possil design and I would have one tomorrow but OH wants a bit more space,for you they would be ideal .:sun:

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Thanks Mitzi

It looks really good from the photos. Someone is very talented. I can see the appeal of a self build, you get exactly what you want. Or at least fewer compromises. If I could use it as my main form of transport, it makes it more cost effective too.

Karen

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
I think i will look at the smaller coachbuilts too. I cant use one of them as my only vehicle, but it might be a good plan.

That is the problem really, too much choice! Mind you, i fell in love with the Argos, our first van, despite knowing nothing about motorhomes, and bought it at a show, sort of on impulse. I still miss that van, we had some good times and some adventures in it. I suspect I will walk into one, and know it is the right one.

Deleted User
We have a pvc an Autotrail v line with a fixed rear bed, there's two of us and 3 dogs, I think the layout works well. Terry has modified ours to suit us, so if you spot something but it needs a tweak @Terry is your man.

Lin :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We have a larger 'L' shaped lounge on our Globecar which gives plenty of space and the central shower is an absolute joy to use.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi Minxy

I think we met at Camper UK sometime ago, when you had the autocruise. How are you getting on with the Globecar?

I have booked for Chester at Easter, but not sure if I will be able to go, unless I find my van prior to that.

I like the look of the Judge's possl.

Thanks for the messages of support, guys. Very much appreciated

Karen
Possibly ... I talk to anyone you know! :D

Eddie's Possl is a great PVC and the layout could work very well for a single person.(y)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Possibly ... I talk to anyone you know! :D

Eddie's Possl is a great PVC and the layout could work very well for a single person.(y)
We saw someone setting of with a globecar and own number plate with "Fun" in it at SMC last year was that you @Minxy Girl !?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Karen, what a great positive attitude, as you have been members since 2011 you know the benifits of using Fun to it's full advantage @Terry may be able to help with ideas about PVC. also @Mags52 could possibly give you some information about a ladies only meet which could be useful. Hope you can make the Chester meet. :)

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
If you're talking about real wild camping then you need to really think about storage. A decent large water tank, a means of getting water from source to van when a hose won't do it, a method of recharging the battery if you're sat for a while, more than one toilet cassette and a spade, a proper tool kit, refillable gas containers (and not just one small one which is the curse of the PVC). Then there's the foldup chairs and table, the usual levelers, a proper spare wheel, sand mats, a chunk of railway sleeper to go under your wheeljack, spare hoses and adapters for grabbing water out of unusual places and so on. You might want to think about carrying a good supply of drinking water separately, say 20 litres, so that you can use non-potable water in your main tank for washing and cooking. Just in case the only source is a river or public toilet block. And a decent sized grey water container in case you feel the desire to be eco-friendly. Now you might get all this in a PVC but would there be room for you?

Of course if you're thinking of Mild Camping, which is what many seem to think of as Wild Camping, then you'll never be more than a few miles from quality resources and a bit of mild camping in a PVC would probably be OK. On the other hand, you can buy a 6 metre van with a garage under a fixed transverse bed, have no storage problems and take it anywhere.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We saw someone setting of with a globecar and own number plate with "Fun" in it at SMC last year was that you @Minxy Girl !?
Our number plate is: FX15 RRZ ... Did it have dogs in?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi my PVC IS ALSO FOR SALE
Broken Link Removed
price is as always negotiable ;):DFull of expensive goodies not found in a normal PVC (Fridge frezer,Hydronic diesel heating/hot water, Victron 50 amp batt charger/pure sin wave inverter)as it was my intention to keep it-Things change and I stole Ken's van so I am going to use that for this season until I make myself another forward lounge van (y):D
terry

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you're talking about real wild camping then you need to really think about storage. A decent large water tank, a means of getting water from source to van when a hose won't do it, a method of recharging the battery if you're sat for a while, more than one toilet cassette and a spade, a proper tool kit, refillable gas containers (and not just one small one which is the curse of the PVC). Then there's the foldup chairs and table, the usual levelers, a proper spare wheel, sand mats, a chunk of railway sleeper to go under your wheeljack, spare hoses and adapters for grabbing water out of unusual places and so on. You might want to think about carrying a good supply of drinking water separately, say 20 litres, so that you can use non-potable water in your main tank for washing and cooking. Just in case the only source is a river or public toilet block. And a decent sized grey water container in case you feel the desire to be eco-friendly. Now you might get all this in a PVC but would there be room for you?

Of course if you're thinking of Mild Camping, which is what many seem to think of as Wild Camping, then you'll never be more than a few miles from quality resources and a bit of mild camping in a PVC would probably be OK. On the other hand, you can buy a 6 metre van with a garage under a fixed transverse bed, have no storage problems and take it anywhere.
Not sure what your experience is of PVCs but you can get a heck of a lot in the ones with fixed beds! In our previous Autocruise Accent 6m one we used to get 2 folding bikes, 2 inflatable canoes, paddles, water carriers, spare toilet cassette, hoses, tables, chairs etc etc etc, the only thing that was supposed to be restricted was the gas locker but that was just down to the particular layout we had as others take 2 bottles with ease such as the Globecars which have massive gas lockers, water tanks etc, partly due to the clever design of the shower being in the central aisle so it's not wasted space when not in use.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi my PVC IS ALSO FOR SALE
Broken Link Removed
price is as always negotiable ;):DFull of expensive goodies not found in a normal PVC (Fridge frezer,Hydronic diesel heating/hot water, Victron 50 amp batt charger/pure sin wave inverter)as it was my intention to keep it-Things change and I stole Ken's van so I am going to use that for this season until I make myself another forward lounge van (y):D
terry
Terry that link doesn't take me to your PVC ...

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Karen, don't know what it's like but I do know for certain that @Terry has a panel van for sale at the moment. He isn't advertising it till the end of the month when sales improve but he is always open for people to contact him and it may be what you are after.

Hopefully, because I have linked him on this post he may see this thread, but it would be advisable for you to perhaps send a private message on Inbox.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Never mind Terry, I managed to find it:

Broken Link Removed

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Hi, we have an older Adria twin with fixed rear double nd we both sleep better in the van than at home.
Its great for a couple of months touring but not sure it would suit us for longer periods. The bathroom is just about useable but the later models with clever sliding screens give a much better shower area.
As has already been said the storage under the bed is spacious.
We use sites periodically to get the washing done and to have the luxury of being able to move about in a shower.
As long as you are happy to use the driver or passenger seats for lounging then the front area is fine.
Hth

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back