Sorn Query (1 Viewer)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
My wagon is sorned at the moment but we've just part exchanged it to a dealer (unseen) for a reasonable price. My query is that when the exchange is made this month do I have to road tax my sorned MH or is there a facility that allows me to deliver it - same as an MOT would allow? I would welcome any advice.
Vin

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Not sure if you can but maybe the dealer could use trade plates to allow you to drive it there (depending how far away you are from them I guess). I expect the DVLA answer would be that you would need to transport it on a low loader.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
When you can drive your vehicle
You can only drive a vehicle with a SORN on a public road to go to or from a pre-booked MOT or other testing appointment. You face court prosecution and a fine of up to £2,500 if you use it on the road for any other reason.
https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification/overview

As far as I understand the website, even motor traders aren't exempt from SORN until the vehicle is on their premises.

We un-SORN'ed our car to get it to the traders, then they re-SORN'ed it so we get a refund and it's only cost us one month's tax. Better than a potential fine IMV.
(Make sure they SORN it while you're there, and within the same month as you un-SORNed it.)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Thanks all for your helpful replies. I did ask the question being aware of the illegal use of the sorned vehicle and thought about the garage appointment but to be safe and legal I will tax the vehicle but will try the dealer if using trade plates is a possibility. Thanks.
Vin

edit; and let you know:)

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The Dealer would have to be an approved testing station for the booking test dodge to work
Trade plates can not be lent or borrowed, severe penalties for miss use, for both driver and plate holder
even with trade plate in use legally a current MoT is required as well as insurance

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
The Dealer would have to be an approved testing station for the booking test dodge to work
Trade plates can not be lent or borrowed, severe penalties for miss use, for both driver and plate holder
even with trade plate in use legally a current MoT is required as well as insurance
Thanks @Geo , save me the trouble of asking the dealer.
Vin

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
I SORNed our Avondale at the end of September as did not expect to use it until after xmas. We then went to the NEC show and promptly signed on the dotted line for a new van. The dealer is in somerset, about 100 miles away and they offered extra on the trade-in if they could take the van in October. I had to tax the vehicle to drive to dealer but did not want to fork out a large sum for 6 months or a year and then have to wait for a re-fund after it was signed over to the dealer. I decided to set up a Direct Debit account. I received e-mail confirmation that the van was taxed and that the first payment would be in November, about 2 weeks later. I drove the van to the dealer, signed it over, and when I returned home immediately sent the sold to dealer part of the V5 to DVLA. Duly received confirmation that I no longer was the registered keeper and that Tax was cancelled. I expected that one month payment would be taken by DVLA but for whatever reason it never was. 3 1/2 months later it still has not been taken. So bottom line, I seem to have been given a free 2 days road tax. Whether it is by design or a glitch in the system I do not know. Not going to complain however.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think I am right in saying, that because it is SORN, there is no way you can drive it on the road. The dealer, however, my be able to collect it, on account of them having trade plates that they can use. You would not be eligible to drive it unless the dealer was present.
So, either they collect, or you pay the VED, and get the refund after the transfer goes through.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
SORN is cancelled automatically when you retax so it will cost you a month tax to deliver it, may a last trip with it and deliver a couple of days later, You get the rest of the tax back as soon as the transfer happens JUST get the right days to buy it and plenty to go at the end as they may cancel it WHEN they get around to dealing with it not when they get it. You must still have insurance on it but you probably kept that going when you SORN'd it in case of theft etc.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
I SORNed our Avondale at the end of September as did not expect to use it until after xmas. We then went to the NEC show and promptly signed on the dotted line for a new van. The dealer is in somerset, about 100 miles away and they offered extra on the trade-in if they could take the van in October. I had to tax the vehicle to drive to dealer but did not want to fork out a large sum for 6 months or a year and then have to wait for a re-fund after it was signed over to the dealer. I decided to set up a Direct Debit account. I received e-mail confirmation that the van was taxed and that the first payment would be in November, about 2 weeks later. I drove the van to the dealer, signed it over, and when I returned home immediately sent the sold to dealer part of the V5 to DVLA. Duly received confirmation that I no longer was the registered keeper and that Tax was cancelled. I expected that one month payment would be taken by DVLA but for whatever reason it never was. 3 1/2 months later it still has not been taken. So bottom line, I seem to have been given a free 2 days road tax. Whether it is by design or a glitch in the system I do not know. Not going to complain however.
thanks Arzedlby, looks like I'll be doing the same, maybe get lucky as well!!!

I think I am right in saying, that because it is SORN, there is no way you can drive it on the road. The dealer, however, my be able to collect it, on account of them having trade plates that they can use. You would not be eligible to drive it unless the dealer was present.
So, either they collect, or you pay the VED, and get the refund after the transfer goes through.
Quite right Daniel but the dealer not willing to collect up to now as he wants to do a proper handover.

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Hope it works for you Vin. Be interesting to know how you get on. I had the van taxed for just the 2 days before signing over to the dealer. I think maybe I just confused DVLA.

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Always keep it insured. Even when SORNed. Can't imagine lack of VED will put off a potential thief. Or a lightening bolt for that matter.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Hope it works for you Vin. Be interesting to know how you get on. I had the van taxed for just the 2 days before signing over to the dealer. I think maybe I just confused DVLA.
Update: Thanks @Arzedby . Phoned the dealer and Lee said 'no problem you have my permission to use my trade plates' and confirmed I am legal so good news. Also dropping the plates off to me. so looking good.

Don't forget your insurance!!!
Yes thanks @DelMar , in hand as are the changed details for the ferry booking, Caravan Club van details, lots of FUN bookings and MH Shows to update!!!! As we're downsizing with less space we'll need 'thin out' lots of stuff.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Wot ya getting then????

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Wot ya getting then????
Hi @Minxy Girl , we've gone for an Autocruise Rhythm with the same layout as the Autotrail but
much narrower so easier to navigate narrow roads, driveway and better mileage:D We've had a couple of van conversions in the past but this one ticks all the boxes. Did look at other makes including Globecars but didn't see any that met our funds:)

ATB

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back