Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Excuse my dtp. skills , Just to say i have been looking through all of the 5th Wheeler threads -- What a wealth of knowledge info. & advice BRILLIANT STUFF :thumb: We can always say if only I knew about that -- this definitely applies to me knowing b.all about P.U.trucks or 5wheelers . I have bought a Nissan Navara and Calder Kountrylite without much detailed research and what happens after ... you learn something ! Having my choice again the Nav. would be replaced with something Yank , the Kountrylite is good and we are delighted but looking at what else was possible ie. self imports WEEEEEEEEEEEEELLL . Thanks to all of the contributors , its a fascinating read when you can look back for months at the various threads. I have been a member for a week so this must also be my hello Alan :Cool:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Welcome Alan:thumb:
Lots of info here.
Have a think about how you're gonna use the Nav. Are you doing big milage, or, like me, staying put in one place for a while?
Personally, I think thats the decider. if you're reasonably static, give the Nav a chance. if you're gonna do big milage, go for a yank.
Soon as I get info on the mirrors, I'll post.:thumb:
Zaskar (Fulltimer - Nissan-Navara.net)::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Fifth Wheels are certainly gaining in popularity, Britain must be the caravan capital of the world, so as caravanner's discover the "slide-out, I predict 5ers I will become very popular over the next couple of years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I predict 5ers I will become very popular over the next couple of years.

Sorry, Jim - it won't happen here until you can fold them down to the size of a postage stamp, store them in the back of the garage and connect them to your MP3 player or iPod. :Eeek:

You know the British Caravanner - it has to be small :Doh:

OP
OP
GIBLA53

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Thanks for advice , probably would haul the unit for about 1500 miles in UK and about 4000 miles per year on Continent staying a minimum of 1 month at each location . This is approx. what we have done in a European motorhome for last 6 years , it would be interesting to know how many 5 wheelers are out there ! Are they unknown for our EU. counterparts we have travelled a bit around Europe and never have seen a non-Brit , some friends we know in Sweden seemed totally non-plussed and upon investigation they like the idea "you are onto something" was their reply.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Thanks for advice , probably would haul the unit for about 1500 miles in UK and about 4000 miles per year on Continent staying a minimum of 1 month at each location . This is approx. what we have done in a European motorhome for last 6 years , it would be interesting to know how many 5 wheelers are out there ! Are they unknown for our EU. counterparts we have travelled a bit around Europe and never have seen a non-Brit , some friends we know in Sweden seemed totally non-plussed and upon investigation they like the idea "you are onto something" was their reply.

Given the milage you're doing, the time spent in each place and most importantly, the size of the rig you are hauling, I personally dont think you'll have a problem with a Nav'...........providing you dont wanna do it a Mach 1.::bigsmile:

Without doubt , 5vers are growing in popularity. I don't think they'll ever be as popular or widespread as motorhomes or RV's over here (I believe they are in the States) but there's no 2 ways about it, thier popularity is growing.
When we first started looking, you hardly ever heard of them. Over the past 12 months, there's hardly a day goes by without some mention of them. There seems to be a growing number of people who want something more than a caravan but dont want something as large a an A class RV to drive round in.
That's not to say that 1 type is better than the other, it's a very personal choice and every body has different wants/needs from thier rigs.

We're absolutely over the moon with our KountryLite, I suppose you could say that after only 2 months, we're still in the honeymoon period, but I'm quietly confident that for our particular needs, we've got it right this time.:thumb:
My only concern (tho' that's probably too strong a way of putting it) is the long term reliability of the Nav. Without doubt, it's powerfull enough for our needs and so far she's doing OK but there's no getting around the fact that its a HUGE lump hanging off her backside so time will tell.:winky:
All the best
Z

Last edited:
OP
OP
GIBLA53

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Good stuff thanks for thoughts I wonder what other owners honestly think of their set-ups objectively Alan

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Good stuff thanks for thoughts I wonder what other owners honestly think of their set-ups objectively Alan

Hi Alan and a belated welcome.

Honestly, when it comes to considering my outfit I am thrilled to bits with it. For the following reasons.

1. It has passed VOSA roadside scrutiny this week, with flying colours.( I may add as a footnote.......those of you with Navarra's, I would get a tape measure to your 5'er width as this was the first thing that was measured. At 3500Kgs GVWR, I can go to 2.55 metres so passed ok)

2. The F250 has proved to be magnificent. I have a combined total av mpg of 15.7 US. When towing on the motorways I am getting 18.5 mpg US. This has exceeded my expectations. Plus, I do not need air bags, sliding hitches or any of that other stuff, my truck is heavy duty to start with. No buckled cabs, torn chassis rails, broken suspension for me.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

3. My Rockwood is excellent, I imported it myself and saved approx £5000 over purchasing a Euro model, plus I was able to specify exactly what I wanted, cream interior with stainless steel and the like.

4. I estimate that by buying a Ford F250, a much unloved vehicle in the UK plus my savings on the 5'er I saved myself approx £9000 in total over a Euro "rig".

The outfit tows beautifully, easy to handle and rock solid at speed, braking is easy.etc etc.

Would I change anything, at the moment.........No................happy Boy am I ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I would not use the term pulled...............more invited ::bigsmile: with no option to refuse.
That said a major number of vehicles were being "invited"

Where was this and would you explain the procedure fully please?:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its quite often vosa use a big layby near the mc donalds at fraddon on the a30. in cornwall. i speak often with them they are out for over weights on caravans ,overlength vans,etc . sometimes they bring a portable weigh bridge, its a drive on one wheel at a time job. i think its becareful time , as 5ers get more common vosa is going to up the stoppings . the one they seem to like is toad behind a 7.5 tonner. easy pickings if its a heavy toad. have fun you know it makes sense.

OP
OP
GIBLA53

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
:Eeek:Just a quickie reading thro. other threads and seeing some of the piccy's ---very impressive rigs out there. Please someone enlighten me what i'm entitled to tow my outfit is 3500+2200+bit say 6200kg. , this is legal if i have C1,C1E ,D1, D1E entitlements ? I say this in response to previous thread comments

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
C1+e is the important one. you can tow a trailer and have a train wt upto 8,250kg. if you visit your local scrapyard have a word with them weigh the front axle then drive forward weigh rear axle then trailer axles then you can be sure you are not overloading anything . doesnt take much to add a ton what with food n toys. returning from spain you could have half a ton of drinks ,ha ha . never mind the people hanging on underneath.

OP
OP
GIBLA53

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Cheers!

Mucho gracias for the reply:Cool:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Where was this and would you explain the procedure fully please?:thumb:

A46 off Junction 6 M5.
Quite simple really, a member of our uniformed custodians of the peace direct you towards a large lay-by. Mr VOSA notes registration number and checks your licence.

Then a walk round the outfit and out comes the tape measure, length first, followed by width, followed by plate inspection and all noted down on their forms. Quick check and all OK so onto weight, so drive on to mats placed in front of wheels and readouts for each wheel and axle. Again a quick check against forms and charts. All Ok so onto a walk round inspection of the outfit, not sure what looking for but more a cursory glance as opposed to an in-depth analysis.

Finally, comments came forth "Well done, you are comfortably under weight and width parameters, you just scrape in on Train weight, unlike some of the earlier leisure guys we have stopped (and before all and sundry ask........I have no idea what he was alluding to and there was NO WAY that I was going to push my luck.) Now your braking system is what precisely?"

Before I knew it I was on my way ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile: Big Phew of relief

Took about 8 minutes I guess although it felt like 4 days :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

HTH

Rob

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Took about 8 minutes I guess although it felt like 4 days :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
HTH
Rob

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'll just bet it did:Eeek::ROFLMAO:
Well done for passing.:thumb: Must be a huge relief and give you confidence for the future.
I'm currently scouring the area for a public weighbridge for mine.
Given everything that we quickly loaded on board, I'm convinced we must be over, especially being fulltimers, but we'll see.
Bottom line is, if I find I'm over, IT'S COMING OUT!!!!.........are you listeming Mrs Zaskar (aka the Imelda Marcus of the RV world!!!!!:ROFLMAO:)

chaswb100

Free Member
Oct 18, 2008
Brentwood,Essex
Funster No
MH
5er
Exp
2 Years
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'll just bet it did:Eeek::ROFLMAO:
Well done for passing.:thumb: Must be a huge relief and give you confidence for the future.
I'm currently scouring the area for a public weighbridge for mine.
Given everything that we quickly loaded on board, I'm convinced we must be over, especially being fulltimers, but we'll see.
Bottom line is, if I find I'm over, IT'S COMING OUT!!!!.........are you listeming Mrs Zaskar (aka the Imelda Marcus of the RV world!!!!!:ROFLMAO:)

A list of weighbridges can be found at Link Removed

-Chas

Deleted User
Hi Alan and a belated welcome.

Honestly, when it comes to considering my outfit I am thrilled to bits with it. For the following reasons.

1. It has passed VOSA roadside scrutiny this week, with flying colours.( I may add as a footnote.......those of you with Navarra's, I would get a tape measure to your 5'er width as this was the first thing that was measured. At 3500Kgs GVWR, I can go to 2.55 metres so passed ok)

2. The F250 has proved to be magnificent. I have a combined total av mpg of 15.7 US. When towing on the motorways I am getting 18.5 mpg US. This has exceeded my expectations. Plus, I do not need air bags, sliding hitches or any of that other stuff, my truck is heavy duty to start with. No buckled cabs, torn chassis rails, broken suspension for me.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

3. My Rockwood is excellent, I imported it myself and saved approx £5000 over purchasing a Euro model, plus I was able to specify exactly what I wanted, cream interior with stainless steel and the like.

4. I estimate that by buying a Ford F250, a much unloved vehicle in the UK plus my savings on the 5'er I saved myself approx £9000 in total over a Euro "rig".

The outfit tows beautifully, easy to handle and rock solid at speed, braking is easy.etc etc.

Would I change anything, at the moment.........No................happy Boy am I ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Regarding VOSA check, I presume your trailer is over 3500k max wt, if so did they check your MOT and driving license for C + E if train weight over 8250k. Also is your trailer braking electric and did they check for handbrake? I and probably many others would be interested as these points have been mentioned in various posts and yours is the first instance of a VOSA check that I have heard about.

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Regarding VOSA check, I presume your trailer is over 3500k max wt, if so did they check your MOT and driving license for C + E if train weight over 8250k. Also is your trailer braking electric and did they check for handbrake? I and probably many others would be interested as these points have been mentioned in various posts and yours is the first instance of a VOSA check that I have heard about.

Hi, The trailer is over 3500Kgs, a point which was causing me a lot of angst as I thought that would be the one thing I would fail on. My plate on the 5'er states a design/dry weight of 2867 Kgs ( interestingly the the GVWR is 3753 Kgs) and the 2867 kgs is what he noted down.

My plated weight on my pick up is 3500 Kgs so (and I accept that I was peeking at his paperwork at an angle :Blush::Blush:) what he wrote down as train weight was 6367 Kgs which is below the down plated weight of 7000 Kgs train on my pick up.

It appeared that I do not need an MOT as he noted down 2867 Kgs.
Driving licence was thoroughly checked including the valid to date.

Measurements were noted for widths and lengths of the complete outfit, he wanted to know about my extending rear view mirrors as he thought that they were "a good idea".
The measurements included the front bumper on the pick up and the rear spare wheel carrier on the 5'er.
It also included the awning on the 5'er, my total width was 251 cms, do not know what the length was as I could not read upside down ::bigsmile:

I was asked about braking and so gave the stock reply,"hydraulic brakes electrically actuated"

Handbrake lever was "waggled" on the way round. Nothing more was done or said about that.

I have reflected upon this and I think that it MAY have been a bit of a "fishing expedition" for them. i.e. Pull some stuff over, have a look around and if you see something you don't like then dig further. I may be wrong but there were some artic lorries getting worked over, especially continental ones.

Rob

OP
OP
GIBLA53

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Forgive my ignorance , after reading Rob's post I went out looked at whats "on the plates" 5VER -7600LB = 3450KG GVWR . Navarra no ref. to what the weights refer (sorry cannot do vertical table) 3210kg. ,5810 kg. ,1-1470kg. , 2- 1750kg. Presumably 1 is load on the front axle 2 the rear . Someone pls. explain am i missing something on these plated weights , also the ref. to weight allowable width of unit , without putting on my tape the width of my unit is not 7'6" probably nearer 8' allowing for the awning ? Confused Al:Doh:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Forgive my ignorance , after reading Rob's post I went out looked at whats "on the plates" 5VER -7600LB = 3450KG GVWR . Navarra no ref. to what the weights refer (sorry cannot do vertical table) 3210kg. ,5810 kg. ,1-1470kg. , 2- 1750kg. Presumably 1 is load on the front axle 2 the rear . Someone pls. explain am i missing something on these plated weights , also the ref. to weight allowable width of unit , without putting on my tape the width of my unit is not 7'6" probably nearer 8' allowing for the awning ? Confused Al:Doh:

Hi Confused Al

At a guess I would think that the 1 and 2 do refer to the axle weights as regard to the 3210Kgs and 5810 Kgs...are there any references to these in the tables at the back of the handbook as they could be GVWR and Train weight for the Navarra but I stress that I am not sure about this

Perhaps someone like zaskar who has a Navarra may be able to enlighten you:thumb::thumb:

The width is always going to be an issue with awnings, rules state under 3500Kgs tow vehicle then (2.3 metres) 7ft 6ins allowed. Over 3500Kgs then 2.55 metres allowed. So I "scraped" in by 4 cms. Not much really, and let's just hypothesise for a moment, if it had exceeded width, what would have happened then?
Are these minor infringements which get a verbal warning?
Do they (VOSA that is) tot up minor infringements and then at a certain point they act?.
Who knows.............I for one don't.:Eeek::Eeek:

Maybe someone here can tell us.

Rob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i would say at 3,500 you are restricted to 2.3mtr.you are correct on the weights of the plate.gvw.train wt,1=frt 2=rear .dificult to say with vosa. i find them really nice people to deal with,so long as you are working in the right direction .its like an mot examiner are they there to fail or pass vehicles. a slightly worn wiper blade doesnt really make a death trap. if i was rob i think i would either make moves to mot or down plate to 3.5oo. just to be safe. . as a matter of interest have either of you obtained a v112 form from dvla. makes for interesting reading. cheers alan.

Deleted User
Hi, The trailer is over 3500Kgs, a point which was causing me a lot of angst as I thought that would be the one thing I would fail on. My plate on the 5'er states a design/dry weight of 2867 Kgs ( interestingly the the GVWR is 3753 Kgs) and the 2867 kgs is what he noted down.

My plated weight on my pick up is 3500 Kgs so (and I accept that I was peeking at his paperwork at an angle :Blush::Blush:) what he wrote down as train weight was 6367 Kgs which is below the down plated weight of 7000 Kgs train on my pick up.

It appeared that I do not need an MOT as he noted down 2867 Kgs.
Driving licence was thoroughly checked including the valid to date.

Measurements were noted for widths and lengths of the complete outfit, he wanted to know about my extending rear view mirrors as he thought that they were "a good idea".
The measurements included the front bumper on the pick up and the rear spare wheel carrier on the 5'er.
It also included the awning on the 5'er, my total width was 251 cms, do not know what the length was as I could not read upside down ::bigsmile:

I was asked about braking and so gave the stock reply,"hydraulic brakes electrically actuated"

Handbrake lever was "waggled" on the way round. Nothing more was done or said about that.

I have reflected upon this and I think that it MAY have been a bit of a "fishing expedition" for them. i.e. Pull some stuff over, have a look around and if you see something you don't like then dig further. I may be wrong but there were some artic lorries getting worked over, especially continental ones.

Rob

Thanks for trying to clarify things but I am still confused over MOT requirement as I was under the impression that trailers over 3500 k GVW needed an MOT, the examiners comments about extending rear view mirrors seems strange as these are a legal requirement - certainly on narrower euro pickups.As far as awnings are concerned I am under the impression that they would have to be permanently fixed to the vehicle to be included in the width and would use this argument, as i would think that I could remove mine in half an hour or so. Until something happens to clarify things, like being examined by VOSA, I will just carry on enjoying the 5er.

OP
OP
GIBLA53

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Because of no cricket :Doh:i looked as vwalan suggested at V112G that makes reference to Leisure trailers exempt up to 3500kg. It is a ...... minefield little did i realise what i was getting myself into . I thought i'd left behind grey areas ( A-frames) !!!!!! ah well ... Alan

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Vosa

Just a quick note VOSA has some severe actions that they can impose, as a HGV 1 Driver and Coach Driver have had some experience of these, ie if your vehicle does not meet the standard required they can put an prohibition notice on the vehicle/trailer/caravan. Which requires that you have to have the problem fixed and then signed off by VOSA.

Also the overweight issue, if found to be overweight the vehicle cannot be moved until it is at the correct weight and the vehicle impounded, I had this once with a Coach and Trailer. The Police took the keys to the Coach and we had to wait until we could arrange a transit van to take items that put us over weight.

The German & Dutch version of VOSA are even more severe involving on the spot fines.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if the living van is over 3.500kg it req a mot. as for mirrors they must be of a spring back type or adjustable by the driver.goods trailers over 1020kg need mot.by the way mirrors with a bottom edge below 2mtr must not project more than 20cm from vehicle or width of trailer. we have to keep thinking of a 5er as living van as other trailers have different rules some are mot exempt regardless of weight.

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
fifth wheel

Hi
we met a guy about a month ago who was pulled, vosa put a prob on the rear end until a handbrake was fitted plus he can-not use his truck to pull it ( to light) now has to buy a bigger truck .:Doh::Doh:
we had a fifth wheel for a year and are now back to an rv thank goodness, i drove hgv back in the early seventies mid east etc so plenty of experience but give me a motorhome anytime:winky::winky::winky:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
try looking at v112 . not v112g, page 2 at paragraph B.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back