Swift Escape Wins Caravan Club motor caravan awards! (1 Viewer)

ChrisG46

Free Member
Feb 28, 2009
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
VW Camper
Exp
Since Summer 2013
A new coachbuilt, the Escape 686 from the Swift Group, took overall honours in the tenth Caravan Club Motor Caravan Design and Drive Awards last night (Thursday 14th May

Testing took place at Newark Showground at the end of April; a panel of four driving judges and six design judges evaluated the vehicles for excellence in design, construction and handling characteristics.

The Swift Group picked the perfect time to launch a coachbuilt budget range, in the shape of its new Escape models. Relatively inexpensive it may be, but the Escape 686 is still a top product, with build quality matching the rest of Swift’s ranges. One of the competition judges commented, “The Escape 686 sets the benchmark for budget family motor caravanning.”

Thirty four vehicles were split into six classes and evaluated. Awards went to the East Neuk Fifer Touring SE (van conversions up to £34,000); Murvi Morello (van conversions over £34,000); Escape 686 (coachbuilts up to £36,000 and also Overall Winner); Excel 590 EK (coachbuilts between £36,000 and £45,000); Swift Kon-Tiki 679 (coachbuilts over £45,000) and the Carthago Opus 5.6Q (A Class).

In depth report with more photos by 1pm, at Link Removed

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Well done Swift, first one we had delivered lasted 7 days on the forecourt before some one snapped it up and bought it:thumb:

Peter

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
After Swift announced the Escape range I looked every where for one as I was going to get one as I wanted a fixed bed motor home tried Lowdhams at Huddersfield no joy they said they couldn't get hold of one even had a look round at the Peterboro show no joy.............and now it wins this ......oh well

L

lele

Deleted User
Mondo,

They have a 686 at Don Amotts in Hilton, Derbyshire. I saw it there today, I think it was up for £35,534 OTR, we have just bought the baby brother of the range a 624 :Smile:

Good Luck :Smile:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Mondo,

They have a 686 at Don Amotts in Hilton, Derbyshire. I saw it there today, I think it was up for £35,534 OTR, we have just bought the baby brother of the range a 624 :Smile:

Good Luck :Smile:

Is that the fixed bed one??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
Swift coat hanger

In the new swifts they have nice round chrome plated coat hangers anyone know where I can buy these from or a similar one.

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
Can you just whip them out and stick in a jiffy bag,they are also in all the new models so you should have plenty.:thumb:

silverfox60

Free Member
Oct 12, 2008
Daviot, Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3 weeks!
Escape 686

Just taken delivery of a 686 from Dyce Caravans, Aberdeen. Nice people to deal with! For once, it pays to live in the 'wilds' of Scotland!! No chance to try it yet.

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Well done Swift, first one we had delivered lasted 7 days on the forecourt before some one snapped it up and bought it:thumb:

Peter

I think I saw it at Camping Cala Gogo near St Cyprien in June, they were pitched a few blocks away from us - Spotted your name on the No Plate. Very nice it looked too:Smile:

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
It is disingenuous of the Caravan Club to dish out awards for motorcaravans based on a Fiat chassis when so many of their members are having such difficulty with Fiat in connection with their defective gearboxes. Its pretty scandalous that people spend their hard earned cash on vehicles that will become the subject of such hassle and, now seemingly, the Caravan Club are promoting them through their award scheme.

Interestingly, some dealers (no names mentioned) claim there is no problem with Fiat but the thousannds of complainants here and elsewhere with experience of using these vehicles cannot be wrong. I nearly bought one..........thank gawd I didn't as even the 3 litre version which previously was thought to be OK is now proving troublesome according to the unmentionable site which requires a subscription.

In my view the Caravan Club are serving their members very badly. Perhaps Caravan Club members with defective gearboxes should complain. In my book the converters should dump Fiat and build their vehicles on a more reliable chassis.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I don't and neither do any of our staff have a problem driving X250's.

If we did, I can assure you that I would be the first to complain, I buy enough of them even for our own use on the Hire Fleet.

Peter

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Peter. You are a decent bloke because you are putting your head above the parapet. But who would buyers prefer to believe........... a dealer or very many fellow motorhomers.

I have experienced this judder first hand in two vans and I can tell you it was not pleasant. Furthermore the many tales of early gearbox and clutch failure cannot be wrong and the difficulties being experiencied with the manufacturer cannot be discarded with a "no problem" response. On just a couple of forums (you know where they are) there are at least 3000 posts on "juddergate".

Because you are on here to be counted I would consider buying a van from you but definitely not a Fiat. I can't recall a single complaint about your organisation and you have received many compliments on the service you provide. However, I don't think you can be doing your reputation very much good by denying there is a problem when the evidence seems to point the other way.

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Fair to say not everyone seems to have a problem... My little 115 has reversed half a mile up a hill from hell in Greece - Wiffy clutch at the top but no other problems, perhaps a small cadence on the clutch pedal but nothing of note. Just thought I would mention it:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back