Autotrail anybody removed vertical strip between cab and habitation (1 Viewer)

Marcus guv

Free Member
Jan 31, 2016
Rhondda
Funster No
MH
Autotrail scout se
Exp
Newbie first year done
As post says got damp behind drivers seat on my scout 2005. Right behind were the vertical strip that joins cab to hab is which has a moulding at top.
Spoke to Autotrail earlier and this is what he said.
The vertical strip is a two part moulding. In order to remove the white d-mould you need to deform the capping using a mallet. This will then release itself from the base profile. This part cannot be re-used so a replacement would need to be purchased from our parts department. The carrier profile will then be revealed which is simply screwed in place. This can be cleaned and re fitted. Originally it would have been fitted using a non-setting bedding sealant. Today we use an MS adhesive similar to Sikaflex. To refit the d-mould you need to clip one edge on first then carefully tap the piece in place using a rubber mallet and block to spread the force. Any slight gaps should then be sealed.
You cannot reply to this email direct so was just wondering if anyone has experience removing the above to reseal?
2 part moulding I'm assuming one on inside behind wall boards and one on outside?? Mallet for the moulding doesn't sound great

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi.. I'm not sure I can help but I have removed the plastic trim between the cab and hab area on an autotrail apache. (@irnbru may be able to help if its the same thing you are on about )to run wires.. Some small screws removed and yes it might have needed a bit bending to get it snapped in at top but can't remember it been that difficult. .
A picture of what you are talking about might help... worth signing up as a full member for all the useful advice alone
Ta andy..

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if as i presume you are talking about the external joining strip, then it i a 2 part cover. the aluminium cover is bonded and screwed to the wall of the van, which provides the waterproofing. the aluminium part has a slot in to accept the plastic moulding. as with all plastics, the cover strip goes brittle over years in the sun. so removing it will distort and damage it and maybe it will disintegrate
sourcing the replacement before you start work is the key

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Marcus guv

Marcus guv

Free Member
Jan 31, 2016
Rhondda
Funster No
MH
Autotrail scout se
Exp
Newbie first year done
IMAG0833.jpg
IMAG0834.jpg
right here's the offending items the vertical strip and moulding with badge at top

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Snap identical problem on my 2005 AT. ill follow this with intrest

OP
OP
Marcus guv

Marcus guv

Free Member
Jan 31, 2016
Rhondda
Funster No
MH
Autotrail scout se
Exp
Newbie first year done
@f6c waiting for the brains to help me out before I rip it apart. Don't own a Valkyrie do you?

OP
OP
Marcus guv

Marcus guv

Free Member
Jan 31, 2016
Rhondda
Funster No
MH
Autotrail scout se
Exp
Newbie first year done
Nice bike my mate has owned one for about 15 years. I got a Harley road king for my sins.

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Are you sure you need to remove that strip? I had damp in the bottom of the wall behind the drivers seat and I had the strip oversealed. Also had the grey trim at the bottom on the outside taken off and all the crap AT handiwork repaired & resealed. Time will tell!

OP
OP
Marcus guv

Marcus guv

Free Member
Jan 31, 2016
Rhondda
Funster No
MH
Autotrail scout se
Exp
Newbie first year done
How did you overseas it did you use silkaflex?

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
It's an ally profile over the wAterproof cover strip. I managed to get the outer bit off but it was totally ruined. The bit underneath was held in place by non setting mastic and crappy screws that had all come away from the timber inside. I made my own cover strip from 20 MM. flat aluminium strip and sealed it with sikaflex and stainless 30 mm screws .then bought a new length of the White cover strip and then bonded this over the flat aluminium. cleaned off the excess and it looks good as new and a lot more watertight than the original. its been on for 2 years now and hasnt moved.

OP
OP
Marcus guv

Marcus guv

Free Member
Jan 31, 2016
Rhondda
Funster No
MH
Autotrail scout se
Exp
Newbie first year done
It's an ally profile over the wAterproof cover strip. I managed to get the outer bit off but it was totally ruined. The bit underneath was held in place by non setting mastic and crappy screws that had all come away from the timber inside. I made my own cover strip from 20 MM. flat aluminium strip and sealed it with sikaflex and stainless 30 mm screws .then bought a new length of the White cover strip and then bonded this over the flat aluminium. cleaned off the excess and it looks good as new and a lot more watertight than the original. its been on for 2 years now and hasnt moved.
Didnt take any pics did you @seanoo sounds like a good idea to me

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Didnt take any pics did you @seanoo sounds like a good idea to me
I can't remember if I took any pics of the ally strip I made but it was pretty straight forward . After taking off all the metal you can see that they have just lapped the plastic rounded moulding over the aluminium side. It took a while but I picked out all the putty from under the lap. Cleaned it all with white spirit and then filled the gap with sikaflex. I had the flat strip that I made ready to screw into place so it held it all nicely. I drilled the flat strip every 200 MM and countersunk the holes to keep the screwheads down. I let that cure for 48 hours then cut my new cover strip to length with the mitre at the bottom then filled the back of it with sikaflex and pressed it over the other bit. Make sure you put enough sealant so it squeezes out nicely from both sides. I cleaned the excess off with some card board then finished it off with a cloth and white spirit . I can post up a photo of my finished job tomorrow. Hope this helps

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marcus guv

Marcus guv

Free Member
Jan 31, 2016
Rhondda
Funster No
MH
Autotrail scout se
Exp
Newbie first year done
@seanoo top man pics would be great. Will take some measurements get some flat bar and cover strip. Then pray for some good weather or a big garage and strip it down. Did you go wider on the cover strip? Did you take that d shaped moulding off at top of strip? Thanks for help this has been cooking my head for a while now. Weather hasn't helped either.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi save yourself all the hassle and simply clean/mask and seal down/along the edges -this will stop any leaks--If you decide to take the strip off wait until warm weather -but I am confident a couple of mm bead of sealent will not look out of place and you may well find you won't / don't need to remove the strip
Glad to see Autotrail have now realise that mastic on a roll is crap :D
terry

OP
OP
Marcus guv

Marcus guv

Free Member
Jan 31, 2016
Rhondda
Funster No
MH
Autotrail scout se
Exp
Newbie first year done
That's a nice clean job seanoo. Looks just like original. Can you remember how wide that capping was?

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
That's a nice clean job seanoo. Looks just like original. Can you remember how wide that capping was?
It was the same as the original , I bought it from an auto trail dealer . It's not expensive but auto trail would only sell me a 6 metre length and the postage was more than the strip so I went to local dealer instead

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
caravaning on and off 10 years
hi i was at AT factory last week and paid particular attention to this capping
the current capping is aluminium in two parts, the part you can't see is screwed
and glued with sealant over the joints.
i picked up a couple of lengths about a meter long and clipped em together, just at the end (about 6 inches) couldn't get em apart again without bending them so i just popped em back in the rack.
if you want to take some off and tap it, it'll bend and come of easy, but you won't be able to use it again
hope this helps alan

OP
OP
Marcus guv

Marcus guv

Free Member
Jan 31, 2016
Rhondda
Funster No
MH
Autotrail scout se
Exp
Newbie first year done
Thanks all for info folks think I'm going to strip it back and replace first as last. Once we get weather :cool: no a/t dealer near me so have to give them a ring get some capping delivered!! One thing I'm learning fast is there's always a job to be done on them. Will take some pics and post them for the next person (y)

Motorhome Man

Free Member
Mar 2, 2016
Upper Halling, Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all, had the same problem with the roof/back panel joint strip on my cheyenne 635. Couldn't get it off without completely damaging the outer strip. Phoned everyone, starting with AT including O'leary's, Magnum etc. all said won't send as too long and will get damaged. I used 100mm upvc 'D' mould from builders merchant to cover joint which i first raked out and then filled with sealant, which was also put all around the outside edges of the upvc strip this was fixed either side of the panel join with stainless steel round head screws with sealant in the pre drilled holes at 100mm centres. Damp gone and not returned. Water was getting in from screws coming loose on initial sealing strip. Main agent wanted £4000 to repair said had to remove shower panels, replace wall and ceiling panels to dry out and replace shower panels.Wanted motorhome for 4 weeks as well. It cost me £50 in materials and sealant. Luke

Motorhome Man

Free Member
Mar 2, 2016
Upper Halling, Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Hi, @irnbru its actually a moulding used in the double glazing industry, I got mine from Selco builders merchant as I have an account but any good merchant, DIY shed or double glazing supplier should stock it.
Regards
Luke

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back