Working from your MH while Full-timing. (1 Viewer)

B

BuzzLand

Deleted User
Has anyone here kept on doing work in places they are at while full-timing?

I'm sure most folks are retired who don't have to work.
But for younger ones who don't like the bricks, bills and mortar lifestyle they must maybe work around places.
You know seasonal work/contract work, set-up somewhere in your vehicle and off you go on your bike to work each day for a while. When you get enough cash together just roll out to somewhere else and live on the road etc.

Is anyone doing this? :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi buzz lots out there do just that ,work on campsites ,building sites ,farms ,or get proper jobs but live in vans. every one does things different ,all my friends need to work in the summer to get away in winter . some do it the other way n stay here in winter to work n get off in summer.

OP
OP
B

BuzzLand

Deleted User
hi buzz lots out there do just that ,work on campsites ,building sites ,farms ,or get proper jobs but live in vans. every one does things different ,all my friends need to work in the summer to get away in winter . some do it the other way n stay here in winter to work n get off in summer.

Hmm, this is interesting. I feel all buzzed up for going out and taking on the world now LOL! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

stuboy7

Free Member
Jul 1, 2009
folkestone kent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2nd year
hi buzz, i live in folkestone kent but work in london so stay in m/h 4 days a week only got m/h 2wks ago was in panel van before on camp bed m/n like ritz after that stuboy7::bigsmile:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Has anyone here kept on doing work in places they are at while full-timing?

I'm sure most folks are retired who don't have to work.
But for younger ones who don't like the bricks, bills and mortar lifestyle they must maybe work around places.
You know seasonal work/contract work, set-up somewhere in your vehicle and off you go on your bike to work each day for a while. When you get enough cash together just roll out to somewhere else and live on the road etc.

Is anyone doing this? :)

Where on earth did you get that idea - I promise you that at least 90% of the full-timers that we have met still work for a living - some of them in 'static' full time jobs, many of them work as Agency staff (nurses, HGV drivers etc) - some like Mo and I run our business from the RV.

Retired, I wish :Eeek:

OP
OP
B

BuzzLand

Deleted User
Where on earth did you get that idea - I promise you that at least 90% of the full-timers that we have met still work for a living - some of them in 'static' full time jobs, many of them work as Agency staff (nurses, HGV drivers etc) - some like Mo and I run our business from the RV.

Retired, I wish :Eeek:

That's good to hear in a way, I thought it was a retired persons gig and working folks would be an exception.

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Working from a motorhome.

There's some useful info for people working from home on this web site which might be useful.

Link Removed

J

johnandcarol

Deleted User
we are intending to do the same, i wil carry on working initially as an agency hgv driver, but not rigidly. We are planning the "escape" in two years, but are working toward it now...there are a lot of things to do/consider , so it may seem like a long time, but its not really. we are more than certain that our initial plans, may get changed due to family committments, ie we may not spend as much time lving abroad as we aim to, but , we are looking forward to it:Smile:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
hi buzz, i live in folkestone kent but work in london so stay in m/h 4 days a week only got m/h 2wks ago was in panel van before on camp bed m/n like ritz after that stuboy7::bigsmile:

Where do you park up in London?

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We still work - got fed up with keep driving up and down the motorways day in day out and decided that best to take the caravan with us as we went around seeing customers - now we have a 5'er and we save a fortune on diesel and the time I used to spend up and down the motorways is free time. When I was 35 I planned to retire when I was 50 - When I was 45 it was 55 - when I was 55 it moved to 60 - when I was 60 some fool in the government said we all have to work until we are 70 :Angry: I also said that I would be a milliioniare by the time I was 55 so I have failed dismally on all counts . At least we are enjoying life - freedom is a wonderfull thing :roflmto:

S

smee

Deleted User
A motorhome is designed for hollidays Most people go on holiday for week or two a year

Some of us are lucky enough to be on holiday full time ie full timer
Ive said this before and got some flak but-All of those that live in a field day in day out and go to work are not full timers, they just live in a field, much like a Itinerant. IMO They give proper full time tourers a bad name:Angry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ive said this before and got some flak but-All of those that live in a field day in day out and go to work are not full timers, they just live in a field, much like a Itinerant. IMO They give proper full time tourers a bad name:Angry:

So, now we have full time tourers and full time Itinerants and you can only be a full timer if you tour ?

Not surprised you got flak before.. full time is living in a van with no other fixed abode whether you tour or work or a mixture .. but I'm happy to be called a Itinerant .. :winky:

Jim, the Itinerant, (see my signature)

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Maybe I am confused - I am certainly old enough to be confused and call it age related but I thought the whole idea of motorhoming or in our case 5'ering was the freedom and enjoyment it gives. We have met many people who full time - and work - they are all honest hard working people who have decided on a life style that suits them and certainly do not 'live in a field' - If you read our post properly you will see it has given us a freedom we did not previously have it has saved a lot of motorway driving. Some of the posts we have seen in the past are where people start complaining because the rest of the world does not comply with a particular persons pidgeon holed idea ie tents are too big and should not be allowed - why should anyone need a caravan bigger than 12 ft etc etc . The whole idea is surely personal preference and the freedom to do what you want to within the law - by the way next time you go on a CC site or C&CC site try your theory on the wardens - if they did not full time in a field and work as well you would not have a camp site to go to.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Wow, so where do I fit in amongst all this angst ? I used to work from the van but gave that up and just bummed around the UK and the Continent, now I am a full time carer living in a field, (Itinerant carer ?) however now I am caring for Kay in her own home. Most confusing !!!!:Doh:

Smee, I really think that you ought to get out more often !!!!

Last edited:
J

johnandcarol

Deleted User
A tad harsh matey:Blush:, with the financial situation over the last few years, many people who may have wished to "live the dream" may have found themselves unable to due to the actions of others. rather than sit at home moping and waiting to die, they have the option to start full timing, and supplement their incomes by working, rather brave I would have thought:thumb:
At some stage, they may find the weekends away, and the trips, getting longer and longer...until they meet YOUR criterea of fulltiming, although i had,nt seen a written definition anywhere.

Trying to define fulltiming and criticising a particular way that someone does it, is as futile as criticising a choice or layout of motorhome, or destination that someone chooses to head for.
the one thing that ALL of the motorhomers who have been kind enough to give us help and advice have in common, is their free spirit and open mindedness, which begs the question............with your mindset, would not a narrowboat have suited you more?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
"fulltimer" (definition)

Hi

Lets get this right, If I Live in my R-V full time, No Fixed abode, I become a "Itinerant"? OK?

In my world "Itinerant`s" are a breed of person who roam the countryside "working" ie laying tarmac, selling pegs, or doing casual manual labour for cash in hand Etc; They pay no Taxes.. Park on other peoples land and leave a load a S_____T behind!!!!!

However, in my case, I pay taxes (on my pension) and on any casual "agency" earnings. Soooo the difference is the financial contribution to the economy.? To this end I ALSO pay for campsites, and contribute to any local economy where I stay.

At the moment I am a "part time" "Itinerant". As I am living in the R-V on the driveway of a house I am "gutting" and refurbishing!!. But I am liable for the council tax!!! just the same!!

My take then is that it is all about TAXATION.

pete

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
hi to all, as of yesterday friday 31 july we have exchanged on our house and ready to move on the 7th aug,i finish work on the 18th aug and emma has just finished her art degree we are then starting a new journey by going full-timing
we are planning to pick some work up as we travel
shawn & emma

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Enjoy and good luck - you will join a majority of happy relaxed people who have found freedom in their life :thumb: I have not met any with negative comments - only read their posts or letters !! Even people who do not full time generally respect the descision as it is really something they would love to do but will not or cannot make the leap.

Lets face it there was only one grumpy post to this thread and the best thing to do is :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: because you will be the one enjoying life

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Shawn & Emma, Exciting times ahead then::bigsmile:, when you are on the road, do pop in here and let us know how you are getting on.

Why not start a blog of your travels here Link Removed Meanwhile welcome to the fun:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

hope theres no warden, brickies or farm hands reading this alan.....are these not proper jobs then? ::bigsmile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Looks like Smee has been shamed into silence...and after only 6 posts !!...Too many fulltimers on here who are happy with their lifestyles to accept advice from a newbie...as we used to say in the services.."get some time in"...:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

S

smee

Deleted User
Looks like Smee has been shamed into silence...and after only 6 posts !!...Too many fulltimers on here who are happy with their lifestyles to accept advice from a newbie...as we used to say in the services.."get some time in"...:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I am not ashamed at all. It is just a view I hold. You lot might be happy living in a damp old field, and going to and from it all year to go to work, but if you are not going anywhere apart from work, why not live in a house. If you do this, You are NOT a full timer, you are someone who lives in afield and avoids paying council tax A motorhome is designed for touring. Someone who tours all the time is a Full Timer, those that are mostly static are just living in a field, much like a Itinerant.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Could not let that go by unanswered - I have just re read the whole thread through to make sure I am not missing something that has been said and apart from shall we say your very different opinion and attitude everyone else appears to be very happy with their 'lot'. So analysing your posts i would like to raise a number of points.

1/ by your details you are a newbie - so I am wondering where you have got your information from - I would suggest it cannot be from personal experience of meeting people who full time - I would also like to know how you would tell a full timer from a tourer who is on a couple of weeks holiday - I have checked in the mirror and I do not have a bolt in my neck or a sign on my forehead so cannot be something obvious.

2/ In all the posts on this thread I can see no reference to anyone living in a field -- except of course in yours :Eeek:

3/ Those that full time have identified already that they pay taxes on money earned - that they also pay on pensions - If someone is living on their savings then they would have paid on the money earned to save it and also on any interest :ROFLMAO: earned on their savings

4/ They stay on campsites (not damp fields ) and thereby support the local economy
those campsites will undoubtedly be paying taxes plus VAT and council tax to the local council. So that should satisfy your argument on that

5/ As far as I am aware all sites that are used as campsites have to comply with planning laws and non complience will cause you to be moved on unless you are of
course a gypsy then you can claim enthic static and overrule the council but thats another argument best not entered into here.

6/ If you read my offerings I have gained more personal time saved a lot of diesel and enjoyed life more, full timing. I have also traveled over most of the southern counties working and have towed my 5'er nearly 3000 miles in that time - I expect to tow a
further 3000 miles this year but the effect on my annual mileage will be a reduction from 30,000 miles to 20,000 miles. That has improved my health, my blood pressure and that status of my wallet. So in your opinion what am I 'a mobile Itinerant' :Smile: The one thing I am, is happy and carefree which by your posts is a status you would like to achieve.

I think if you get out and join in and talk to folks you may just find your arguments are flawed

Yetties

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Radstock Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Surely deciding to full time in a MH or Trailer is a life style choice.

I work full time as an Agency Driver and my life has benefitted so much from taking the plunge and full timing.

We can change the view from the window at will we dont have to suffer other peoples kids and dogs being a pain and disturbing my peace when I am not at work and when I get back from work at stupid oclock in the morning I can always park and also sleep.

If someone wants to call me a Itinerant then thats their opinion and they are entitled to it how ever misguided that might be.

I for one dont find it offensive or insulting its my choice and I love it.

Where we live is great its peaceful and private and our neighbours are quiet and either have wings or fur they are neither disagreeable or unpleasant but some times a little curious

You can call us what you like at least we are here doing it and enjoying the freedom.

Neil

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi pappa. yes they are proper jobs. mostly seasonal is what i meant. i didnt say they wer,nt proper. i work as an agency driver as an when i feel like it. try not to earn enough to pay tax ,claim it back before leaving the country. live in van all winter come back live in house in summer. i want to live like this i like the balance. when i get fed up here i leave ,when i get fed up travelling i come back. i could say home ,is it?or is it my base. maybe one day i,ll buy a field n use it as a base .will it be here or abroad i dont know. it could be an industial unit somewhere. can carry on playing then. so long as we all have fun and do what we want to be doing we are on the winning side. so many people arent doing it and seem resentful of the ones that are. this is the best part of my life so far. its getting better every day.cheers alan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back