Deer on country roads .. be alert (1 Viewer)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oh Jim. How upsetting for you .. glad you are ok ... dare I ask at the risk of ruining my day ... was the little fella alright please? :(

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Oh Jim. How upsetting for you .. glad you are ok ... dare I ask at the risk of ruining my day ... was the little fella alright please? :(

no, thankfully I didn't hit any.. just showing how hard it is to see them at night and to be careful..
I've edited the text to make that clearer..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We used to have a herd living on the edge of our village and a few years ago about 20 jumped over a ditch and onto the road amongst them were two white deer fortunately we weren't driving fast at the time and managed to stop and wait until they had all crossed.
My dad and stepmother live in Dumfries and Gallooway and early one morning one jumped out in front of my stepmother as she was driving on the glentrool road ..what a mess it made of her car.
She was ok but is still nervous driving along that stretch of road.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Real men take on elks...... and lose. A quote from a friend who did photo work for Volvo. Long legs so windscreen and you take the full impact.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Driving the MH to Lacanau-Ocean we saw the proverbial leaping deer signs, and on rounding a corner saw a car pulled into the opposite lay-by. It had a huge dent in the bonnet and grille, steam pouring out of a wrecked radiator, and the driver stood beside it scratching his head and talking animatedly on his mobile. About a hundred metres on there was a freshly expired deer lying in the verge. I take a bit more care around leaping deer signs now.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
When I owned and ran a small bodyshop ,I would get half a dozen or so jobs a year that where down to deer causing damage

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
A couple of motorcyclists returning home from the Whitwell station bikers meet on Friday nights hit deer in the woods near Reepham, both injured and bikes written off, be careful out there.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not seen any Roe on the roads around here. Loads of Muntjac though.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I used to work in Australia and if I was driving at night in areas where there were kangaroos, I would have the hazard lights on for much of the time and turn the main beam right down. It seemed to work as the flashing hazards would help stop them being mesmerised by the main light and there were less likely to run across the road or stop on the road.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I nearly ran an Old Dear over once....

As I got alongside her, I wound my window down and said you silly old sod............ you got a death wish...:swear2:

She was well inebreated and told me to *iss off... :nod: :Eeek:

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
could be.. not an expert and it was just a fleeting glance..

didn't see a tail.. which would be a Roe

we also have plenty of the Muntjac around here .. they are are easy to identify
I only thought Fallow as they looked palmated at the top. Even so, any deer is going to cause a lot of damage and upset.
What area were they?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What area were they?

in Suffolk .. on the B1083 ... Between Woodbridge and Alderton.. the GPS location is on the sat nav video

to save looking... I've lifted the co-ords off Goggle maps

52.039262, 1.397633

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Saw a herd of red deer when camping near Rendlesham forest a few years back, about 20 of them, looked as big as horses.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Up in Narfook, drivers have to worry about another type of deer on a country road-
John_Deere_9630T.jpg

A John Deere!

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
in Suffolk .. on the B1083 ... Between Woodbridge and Alderton.. the GPS location is on the sat nav video

to save looking... I've lifted the co-ords off Goggle maps

52.039262, 1.397633
Looking at the UK deer population the only one of the 6 uk species it should not be is a Sika deer. I suppose this makes the risk of running into one of the other 5 quite a high risk on rural roads in that area.
I will never forget driving through Glencoe at 4am one September morning and not being able to do more than 25mph due to the 200 plus deer grasing at the roadside. Lovely to see but very worrying in case they decided to move across the road.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Driving the MH to Lacanau-Ocean we saw the proverbial leaping deer signs, and on rounding a corner saw a car pulled into the opposite lay-by. It had a huge dent in the bonnet and grille, steam pouring out of a wrecked radiator, and the driver stood beside it scratching his head and talking animatedly on his mobile. About a hundred metres on there was a freshly expired deer lying in the verge. I take a bit more care around leaping deer signs now.
... did you enjoy the deer steaks then?

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
My last encounter was with 3 fallow deer whilst travelling "briskly" on a motorcycle, along a country A-road between Berks and Oxfordshire around midday. Scared the proverbial out of me, suddenly appearing out of hedgerow on the left, running in front of me and zig zagging a bit before disappearing to the right. Lovely looking creatures though, which I was fortunate to avoid collision with.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back