Talbot express electrics (2 Viewers)

M

MM0EFJ

Deleted User
Hi,
Having a problem with the electrics on my 1993 Talbot Express Avalon. The alternator was overcharging the battery and overheated it, just before the battery blew the wipers started going very fast, the indicators came on, also going very fast, then a loud bang and lost power to the engine although it would still tick over. Put on the leisure battery as a temporary measure to get me home then got a new alternator.
Everything is fine but the nearside indicators and nearside tail light dont work. The hazards and the offsiode indicators work fine. Checked all the fuses in the glove compartment and they are all OK. Can anyone tell me if there is a hidden fuse somewhere or have I blown a relay or something? Any help much appreciated.
Regards,

Mike

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Maybe sounds a bit patronising, but, have you also checked the bulbs? :winky:

Well he didn't say he hadn't. Sounds logical to me. Though this Fiat I'm sat in has so many fuses it could certainly be the case here.

With old electrics it's easy for rust/corrosion to stop the lamps lighting even if everything else checks out. Happened on my bike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

MM0EFJ

Deleted User
Thanks for replying gents, it is appreciated.
No haven't actually checked the bulbs, I expected to hear the flasher unit clicking even if bulbs were blown but I only hear it when indicating right or when the hazards are on. I thought it would be unlikely that both front and back nearside bulbs would blow at the same time, as well as the tail light but possibly due to the higher voltage that may have happened I suppose. Will check the bulbs anyway but don't really think that is the fault. It points to something which is controlling both the indicators and tail lights.
Regards,
Mike

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
On the early Ducato most of the relays are behind the instrument panel. I have heard that the Talbot is similar.

Phil

Scunner007

Free Member
Jan 18, 2008
Livingston, West Lothian
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 Year
This happened on our Fiat, where only the off side rear indicator was not working. It turned out that the connection has broken due to old age. Check the connections behind the bulbs.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Ooops, didn't notice first time, you say the hazards are working, therefore the indicator bulbs are O.K.:RollEyes::Blush:

OP
OP
M

MM0EFJ

Deleted User
Hi Derek,
Actually the hazards are not working, the flasher unit is clicking as normal but only the offside indicators flash so it is possible it could be the bulbs, haven't had a chance to check yet.
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply
Regards,
Mike

OP
OP
M

MM0EFJ

Deleted User
HIi,
Thanks to all who replied, all soretd now, it was indeed the bulbs.
When the old alternator was overcharging it must have blown the bulbs, I had to replace 5!! The nearside tail light , indicator & reversing light, front nearside indicator, rear offside brake light.
I found out that the flasher unit only clicks if the bulbs are working and that is one of the places I went wrong because I thought5 it would be clicking anyway whether the bulbs were working or not.
Thanks again to all, may also prove to be of use to someone else later.
Regards,

Mike

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Good, that has salved my conscience.:ROFLMAO: