walnut

Free Member
Dec 7, 2008
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E495
Exp
What do people do to protect the chassis/underside of their motrohome?

Bought a Bessacarr last yr and recently noticed spots of rust on the underside, bolt threads and heads.
Want to protect the chassis before the rust gets in.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

Bought a Bessacarr last yr and recently noticed spots of rust on the underside, bolt threads and heads.
Want to protect the chassis before the rust gets in.

Put Waxoil on the metal parts, easy to do.

Peter

cater_racer

Free Member
Oct 15, 2008
Chester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Motorhome is a £50,000 investment built on a Van chassis designed to last 5-7 years.

Whilst our use of the engine & transmisssion is usually much less than a commercial user, we expect and hope for much longer life cycle than the original vehicle designer.

It's madness not to spray the chassis parts with Dinatrol or Waxoyl.

I've noticed 2 year old motorhomes that cost £50,000 with no protection on the front wings or underbody parts, they will be scrap in 5 years.

Mine was done two weeks after delivery, I can't afford to buy a new one every seven years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
chassis protection

i use waxoil on the bolts and joints of the visible chassis.
but i also run waste oil into the box sections of the chassis to protect from the inside, although you have to protect your drive with a tarpaulin because of oil running out of holes in the chassis.
works for me.

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Boxer Front Sub Frame

As some will have notice a few weeks ago, I have just renewed the front sub frame, the van is 8 years old and really needed doing at 7.
Not sure protection would have helped due to rust fron the inside.
All who have Boxer vans get your head underneath to check.

Ron W

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As some will have notice a few weeks ago, I have just renewed the front sub frame, the van is 8 years old and really needed doing at 7.
Not sure protection would have helped due to rust fron the inside.
All who have Boxer vans get your head underneath to check.

Ron W

a very common fault on all the seville vans Ron and, as you will now know, not a difficult job to replace it.

they normally rust first on the front seam which is very difficult to see 'cos of the bumper....get your fingers in to check it.

waxoil would have helped as you spray it inside the box sections as well as on the outer surface. :thumb:

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
Waste oil should never be used, it contains metal and other chemicals but whats worse is it contains water, dont do it

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
Just to make my point a wee bit clearer, if waste oil has metal and water in it and you coat the INSIDE of the chassis guess where the rust will start? That's right INSIDE! where you wont see it or be aware what's happening, remember Rootes Hillman Hunters? they coated the inside of their petrol tanks and not only did they rust from the inside but the paint peeled off and blocked the fuel pumps, no one could figure out why the pumps were blocked until some bright spark remembered the paint DOH!

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
chassis protection

hi
before we bought our motorhome we had static caravans for 25 years
and i always put waste engine oil into the chassis.
after years of ownership the chassis was still like new, while others who didn't coat their chassis were rusting away, quite severely in some cases as one of the craravans was quite close to the sea.
but i still continue the process of putting waste engine oil into not only my motorhomes chassis but also the metal parts of the underside of my car.
never had a problem in 44 years of doing this.
it is my understanding that most fine metal parts off the engine will be caught in the oil filter.
and water if there is any in the oil will float on the surface of the oil.
for me it's a cheap way of protecting the chassis

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
hi
before we bought our motorhome we had static caravans for 25 years
and i always put waste engine oil into the chassis.
after years of ownership the chassis was still like new, while others who didn't coat their chassis were rusting away, quite severely in some cases as one of the craravans was quite close to the sea.
but i still continue the process of putting waste engine oil into not only my motorhomes chassis but also the metal parts of the underside of my car.
never had a problem in 44 years of doing this.
it is my understanding that most fine metal parts off the engine will be caught in the oil filter.
and water if there is any in the oil will float on the surface of the oil.
for me it's a cheap way of protecting the chassis

I agree i've used old engine oil no problem steel stay's as good as new ::bigsmile: although i wouldn,t recomend old oil if it looks a bit creamy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years

I run the van up onto wooden planks to give a bit extra clearance, then spray waxoyl (90% waxoyl; 10% white spirit prevents the spray nozzle blocking) into the box sections.
The outer, visible parts of the chassis are treated with waxoyl underseal.
I've used this system sucessfully on many cars over the years and have had no problem with corrosion.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I was told by a top mechanic,, "Not to use" waxoil,, it has the effect of sealing in any damp and not letting air in to dry trapped water, and sweating under the coating..:Sad:

Told better of to use old thinned engine oil that had been sieved through a few layers of lady`s tight`s/stockings.. :Smile:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I was told by a top mechanic,, "Not to use" waxoil,, it has the effect of sealing in any damp and not letting air in to dry trapped water, and sweating under the coating..:Sad:

That's the crux of any protective coating, the surface needs to be properly dry:thumb:

Our old Dodge (1977) had been done (Waxoiled) earlier in her life over here and obviously done properly, ie dry as her condition underneath was amazing for 32 years old.

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
Please tell, why not?

Add me to the list asking why not to use Waxoyl on galvanised chassis.
My experience is that road salt devastates AL-KOs galvanising unless it is treated.
If there is a problem then I have escaped it for 7 years so far.

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
I seem to remember a guy used to advertise on here who staem cleaned and waxoyled motorhomes etc but he got a bit of a slagging off on his work...

alan wilson

Free Member
Nov 13, 2008
rhyl north wales
Funster No
MH
lowline c class
Exp
3 motorhoming 23 caravanning
Waste oil should never be used, it contains metal and other chemicals but whats worse is it contains water, dont do it
it is also carsogenic,in other words can cause cancer.never use it or touch waste oil without gloves on,just as when you are in the petrol station do not stand close to the filler breathing in the fumes the fumes are benzine with again is cancerous.

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
Underbody treatment

I use waxoil. To keep the viscosity down Hot spray it. I use a garden sprayer with the pressure container in a bucket of hot water. I attempted to use my conventional spray guns but the air expansion just solidifies the wax.

It used to be done in the car plants using Hot Airless Spray and a selection of special nozzles.

Steve

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Get away from the cold, wet and salt on the winter roads of the UK in the winter months.

I realise that this must sound flippent but it does work!!!

Doug...

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I use waxoil. To keep the viscosity down Hot spray it. I use a garden sprayer with the pressure container in a bucket of hot water. I attempted to use my conventional spray guns but the air expansion just solidifies the wax.

It used to be done in the car plants using Hot Airless Spray and a selection of special nozzles.

Steve

Tried warming the stuff and thinning as recommended.

I find my electric spray gun with long nozzle does the job.

The alternative stuff on ebay is just the same and a lot cheaper.Bought 1 tin of waxoyl and 2 x 5 litres of the other stuff.

Brilliant delivery (next day) included in the price,

Link Removed

Link Removed

Last edited:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I just googled it and got this from another forum but doesn't really help much

Alko say that the galvanised chassis should not be coated with anything unless the galvanising has been damaged.

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
al ko chassis

i think al ko won't cover the warranty if coated with something.
but if your out of warranty i would go ahead.
ps 29 degrees today in pineda
diesel 95.9 a litre 98.9 in france

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back