LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Advice needed for seriously scared of heights & bridges.
If we go to Venice via Geneva - Mont Blanc tunnel - Milan - Verona are there many really high bridges?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
@scousebird
Last 3 times we've come through Switzerland and crossed into France at Mulhouse.
Buy a vignette at the border for Switzerland far cheaper than Mont Blanc and a nice free Aire at Thann. Takes us 2 long days from Venice to Calais 750 miles done it many times no scary bridges I can think of.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
@Forestboy do you happen to know the co ordinates for the aire at Thann as this may prove useful on the way down or back for our trip end of April.

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
@Forestboy do you happen to know the co ordinates for the aire at Thann as this may prove useful on the way down or back for our trip end of April.

Thanks
No sorry I don't but you really can't miss it it's on the main road that goes through the village. On the right if you're heading South after the cathedral by the big carpark for the supermarket.
Very easy to spot the carpark also has some self service fuel pumps at the entrance.
Used it many many times and the supermarket usually has a good selection of cheap wines as well.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
No sorry I don't but you really can't miss it it's on the main road that goes through the village. On the right if you're heading South after the cathedral by the big carpark for the supermarket.
Very easy to spot the carpark also has some self service fuel pumps at the entrance.
Used it many many times and the supermarket usually has a good selection of cheap wines as well.
Excellent many thanks.....

Pat and Trish

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
3 years
@scousebird
Last 3 times we've come through Switzerland and crossed into France at Mulhouse.
Buy a vignette at the border for Switzerland far cheaper than Mont Blanc and a nice free Aire at Thann. Takes us 2 long days from Venice to Calais 750 miles done it many times no scary bridges I can think of.

Hi
I wonder if you could give me some more details of your route please and why you recommend it, we are travelling from Calais to Venice end of August and then onto the F1 at Monza. Looking at the Michelin recommended route it takes us into Belgium via Trier before dropping back to Strasburg to join your route via Mulhouse, Milan and Verona there is only 40 kilometers difference so interested why you choose that route?
Any advice appreciated as have never driven the MH in Italy
Thanks Pat

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
There is a quieter one on the other side of town - it is in the All the Aires book. No facilities other than parking, but you can pick up water and dump on the one Forestboy recommends.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Mont Blanc Tunnel is far from cheap for a MH. If you go through Switzerland starting at Basel your motorway vignette will cover you for the Gotthard Tunnel.

I take it from the tall bridges comment that heights aren't the flavour of the month at chez scousebird? Otherwise I'd have said try the Briancon > Col de Montgenevre route which has no tunnels but plenty of hairpin bends and a few steep drops at the roadside. Lovely mountain scenery though.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Advice needed for seriously scared of heights & bridges.
If we go to Venice via Geneva - Mont Blanc tunnel - Milan - Verona are there many really high bridges?

We're going that way again as far as Garda. No major bridges that I remember. Lots of tunnels once you get into Italy though.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
@scousebird
We travelled through Switzerland today from Thann towards Milan via the Gottard tunnel
No high bridges and no steep sided viaducts that I could see
Could be an ideal route for you to get to Venice
Also a lot cheaper than Mont Blanc Tunnel

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I done it a few years ago via the Gothard tunnel. My route was Dover - Dunkerque - Luxenburg (Cheap fuel) - Mulhouse - Basel - Lucerne - Bergamo - Venice. We stopped at Lake Garda on a campsite and trained it in to Venice for the day. Great train service and cheap as chips. Fuel in Italy is expensive so make sure you brim before leaving France.

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Y
@scousebird

He is right your be fine honest

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back