Travel insurance, do you have it or not ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Until the end of last year we had full worldwide travel insurance though our private medical cover at work, that has now been cancelled due to ridiculous jump in premiums, so we are now looking at alternative travel cover

We have vehicle cover, with my luck and bad battery management we need that, but are now debating personal medical cover

It would appear our European right to medical aid are limited to emergency only, but we have never needed to claim or been poorly for that matter while overseas, so seriously considering not taking anything out for this years trips

Am I taking too big a risk to travel without cover?

If you take policies out are they annual or trip specific?

I am still open minded, it is reasonably cheap to take out, the other option I am considering is one of the bank upgrades, we are with Natwest and I think for £10 / month or so we could be pretty much covered for our type of risks

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
If you get a Nationwide Flexplus account (£10.00 per month) free world wide travel cover up to 31 day trip. I have just phoned them up as we are planning to be away for 90 days ish and the extra cost is £90.00 plus you also get free European breakdown cover for vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes and mobile phone insurance as part of the account. Not saying it is for everyone but we are trying it out!

Deleted User
EHIC is essential as this will pay the vast majority of any emergency medical treatment you require.

Your question regarding "annual or trip specific" is entirely down to what you prefer. We have LV multi trip insurance which covers for as many 90 day trips you have in any year.

Bear in mind that most policies don't cover for "private" treatment and you will be expected to present yourself at the equivalent of an NHS hospital, and use your EHIC for most of the cost. (Your insurance will pay the rest)

The biggest benefit is repatriation cover, in case of serious injury or death, which could run into tens of thousands without cover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GEOMAR

Free Member
Mar 22, 2015
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
do all foreigners coming to the UK don't have insurance yet get free medical care?. WHY

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
do all foreigners coming to the UK don't have insurance yet get free medical care?. WHY

They don't get free healthcare. Emergency-life-saving-stuff only. Some visitors will be charged 1.5 times the NHS rate on regular treatment.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
I paid £110 for 6 month cover never had to claim but worth it just for that extra peace of Mind I think.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I'm with Lloyds Gold account and we both get world cover and uk breakdown for the car. I will check how long the trip can be.(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Our bank want £12 / month to upgrade account to include various benefits, but it does say we need to call to declare any pre-existing conditions

Also found a mention on another thread for 'insure and go' done an online declaration and we can get annual cover for £107 for both of us for the year, even after declaring ailments

Bev is pleased she normally gets penalised for having slightly elevated blood sugar levels, making her diabetic but with no medication, no premium change for her, but yours truly with high blood pressure who normally gets away with it has a £27 surcharge, still not bad

Think this is a no brainer for 12 months cover removing doubt / risks etc

45 days per trip, no limit to total days away per year

covers all of Europe except Algeria, Lebanon, Jordan, Libya and Lebanon, none of which I even knew were in Europe!!

Think this is the one for us, trips over 45 days are allowed but must preauthorised, no doubt with a change to the premium

https://www.insureandgo.com/travel-...el-insurance?gclid=CMrixqeQ0soCFReZGwodh0IF9g

Last edited:

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
We have a Nationwide Flex Plus account and it's good for us
Chris

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I always had full cover with my Natwest account with other cost ,but now as I am over 70 I have to pay an additional £50 per year . Still its good value.. Roy

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have previously used Insure and Go Annual Insurance it only works out out a few quid more than the single trip insurance version and covers winter sports which our Bank Account and Card Insurance didn't. Will have to remember to check the trip limit on the Lloyds Gold account.

I am glad your heading off again David,as these posts keep reminding me of the things we need to do as well, keep them coming. Thanks again (y)

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Our bank want £12 / month to upgrade account to include various benefits, but it does say we need to call to declare any pre-existing conditions

Also found a mention on another thread for 'insure and go' done an online declaration and we can get annual cover for £107 for both of us for the year, even after declaring ailments

Bev is pleased she normally gets penalised for having slightly elevated blood sugar levels, making her diabetic but with no medication, no premium change for her, but yours truly with high blood pressure who normally gets away with it has a £27 surcharge, still not bad

Think this is a no brainer for 12 months cover removing doubt / risks etc

45 days per trip, no limit to total days away per year

covers all of Europe except Algeria, Lebanon, Jordan, Libya and Lebanon, none of which I even knew were in Europe!!

Think this is the one for us, trips over 45 days are allowed but must preauthorised, no doubt with a change to the premium

https://www.insureandgo.com/travel-...el-insurance?gclid=CMrixqeQ0soCFReZGwodh0IF9g

We did this, got 90 days cover for as many trips as can fit in per year. Cost about £128 for both of us (can't remember, did it in a tizzy at Dover, was going to go just on Ehic). Lots of people we have met just take EHIC. 2 couples we have met have sorted their funeral plans in Spain, which were considerably cheaper than UK, and its transferable to UK.

Just checked £135.91 with a declaration for me.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm with Lloyds Gold account and we both get world cover and uk breakdown for the car. I will check how long the trip can be.(y)
We have a Lloyds Platinum Plus Club account, just upgraded our travel insurance to 62 days (standard is 45 days) multi trip costs £70/year. The car cover is only for UK, but do get 4% interest on balances between 4K-5K also we only pay ½ the monthly fee, we have a staff account as wifey is a Lloyds pensioner.

A friend had experience of the Lloyds cover it worked well, he had a serious head injury in Barbados, after he came out of hospital they flew a nurse down from Canada to accompany him & his wife home & flew them home 1st Class.

Edit:
One good thing with Lloyds they have a huge list of medical conditions you don't need to declare.

Last edited:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
ADAC works for me, dirt cheap, no medical questions, haven't had to use it yet though, touch wood etc..!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Staysure - one of the better insurers for the over 50's

They quoted me silly money (over £1000 I think) because one of my conditions wasn't listed in their database and they couldn't quantify the risk.

We have previously used Insure and Go Annual Insurance it only works out out a few quid more than the single trip insurance version and covers winter sports

That is who I used, they were very helpful and the cost was only about £10 to include pre-existing. They also covered for kayaking up to and including grade 3 water :)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just checked bank account 45 days single trip and Winter Sports cover is included sure they had removed it. We're very lucky our Lloyds Gold account is so old we had it before they introduced charging so pay nothing.

Good to tick an item off the list @DavidG58 is working through. :D

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We have a Lloyds Platinum Plus Club account. The car cover is only for UK, but do get 4% interest on balances between 4K-5K.

Likewise for us.
And a big plus for us, we are covered when riding the motorbike. Anyone who is covered for riding motorbikes on their travel insurance, check if there is a capacity limit. It's usually 125cc. Lloyds is unlimited.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yup we kept our Lloyds Platinum account specifically for the Travel cover, so we were paying the £25 pr month bank charge just for that - ie £300.

When I turned 65 they suddenly wanted an additional premium of £600 per annum, even though none of my medical conditions had changed and everything was still absolutely chugging along nicely with the minimum of fuss.

So I told them where to stick it and cancelled the account. We had actually transferred our actual banking to a Santander 123 account a few years ago.

Barstewards - watch them!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
My Nat West rewards platinum account costs £18 per month . I get 3% cash back on all standing orders plus 1% on many other purchases .my standing order mean I always get around £12 per month cashback .so the account costs me £6 per month for car breakdown insurance with greenflag . Unlimited travel insurance at home and abroad .mobile phone cover ...so a good deal for me..Roy.forgot the travel insurance now that I am over 70 does cost and additional £5.80 per month for unlimited travel ..

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I've argued previously for NationWide FlexPlus: 7.5T/8m European breakdown cover on the van, worldwide health insurance, phone cover, identity theft, extended warranty on electrical items all for a cost of £6pm (£72pa) by keeping £2.5k in the account (y).

We were quoted £180 (I think) to cover our existing medical problems WORLDWIDE but as we only travel to Europe at the moment, we are happy to rely on EHIC for anything which our current ailments might bring. However, anything "new" which happened during our travels could be a problem, so I reckon this gives the best of both worlds (vehicle & personal health cover).

Additionally, if you transfer your account to NationWide, using their "recommend a friend" system, both participants get £100: I'd LOVE to be your friend :whistle:. - Gordon

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have decided the bank options do not seem to offer best value for us, also hoping to do many more miles overseas this year and wanting to go when ever we fancy I have opted for the 12 month policy with insure and go

@Taran_Las thanks for your bit Phil, I might have got mine reduced, but as they only wanted £27 extra between both of us (all me actually) £107 for the whole year seems pretty good for peace of mind

Many thanks for the contributions

Last edited:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Yup we kept our Lloyds Platinum account specifically for the Travel cover, so we were paying the £25 pr month bank charge just for that - ie £300.

When I turned 65 they suddenly wanted an additional premium of £600 per annum, even though none of my medical conditions had changed and everything was still absolutely chugging along nicely with the minimum of fuss.

So I told them where to stick it and cancelled the account. We had actually transferred our actual banking to a Santander 123 account a few years ago.

Barstewards - watch them!
Exactly the same for me, turn 65 with medical conditions, even ones from years ago with no reoccurrences, you may as well throw yourself on the scrap heap.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Don't want to upset anyone Bk but does this cover any previous existing problems. Even a bad knee must be declared or you could find your insurance void

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I'm with the Nationwide Flexplus as are a number here. Brilliant account. The £10 monthly fee is more than paid for. I was a bit worriedthat Mrs B is going to the States with our surrogate grandaughter in March. I will be staying to look after the dogs. On contacting the insurers to check whether there would be an excess for existing Asthma and Type II diabetes in the US the answer was no, piece of paper confirming all and to be attached to the policy document arrived the following day(y)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Don't want to upset anyone Bk but does this cover any previous existing problems. Even a bad knee must be declared or you could find your insurance void

There are conditions listed which you do not have to declare. If it isn't listed, then you do. And you have to update their list of your conditions annually, or as soon as you get a new one or another one worsens in some way - I mean when you have already been told by a medic that it's worse - not just when your bad knee seems to hurt more this morning, but it's suddenly dropped 10 degrees.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back