Importing question...Dover..red channel or green channel? (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
Hello again

Nearly time to collect our shiny new motor :))) One question I hadn't considered until now, but probably should have!

When we enter the UK with our new vehicle sporting Belgium plates and having not yet paid any VAT (belgium or UK) should we go through the red channel to declare that we will be paying the VAT within the week? or charge through the green channel and say the same thing if stopped?

Anybody who has done either please???

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't worry you will not be able to tax/use your vehicle until you have a vat (NOVA) FORM ;)this tells them how much -if any- VAT is payable :D
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You can save yourself time by downloading the vehicle import pack now (y) filling as much as you can then once back you can get the NOVA filled in on line pay the VAT and tax the vehicle applying for uk plates-if van is new you will have to pay VAT if none has been paid -Any van above 6 mths old and with above 600 kilometers on clock is VAT free
terry

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
Is there a red and green channel i can,t remember ever seeing one

neil

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Is there a red and green channel i can,t remember ever seeing one

neil
Think you just drive up to the port /ticket office in France ;)
terry

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Green...don't panic! as said vat easier to sort online using NOVA

So come on what is it you tease:)

OP
OP
Roseandpeter
Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
Green it is phew!!! That makes it simpler. We have a lovely new Hymer B594 Premium line with all the bells and whistles added. We had to find one 7metres or under to fit our drive and she fits the bill perfectly. We sold our old Hymer 514 privately (with watery eyes...) late last year. Sooo looking forward to picking her up. Off to Portugal in May for the first time, so will be scouring the forums for ideas on good places to stop. We like a mix of Aires and ACSI sites, and wild camping if it feels right.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
What have you done about insuring the vehicle?

OP
OP
Roseandpeter
Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Judge and LennyHB.

We have insured it on the VIN /chassis number with Safeguard.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Are clued up with the VCA docs and check requirements, lights, speedo and fog, and got a friendly garage teed to do the check and right the letter. If you have not got HMRC credentials, do that online ready so you can pay the VAT. Get a pdf of the dealer invoice the HMRC might ask to see it and will accept a pdf. As said above get your DVLA import pack, if the dealer emails a copy of the final CoC you can prefill as suggested.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just collected mine two weeks ago today and drove through green with no issues, have now paid the vat and forms are off to the DVLA so hopefully be back this week.

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
This is getting easier to import and the savings bigger where are the pics so we can all be jealous?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Go through the Green Channel and, if challenged, say you are colour blind :D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Im a very optimistic person, it was sent away on Wednesday
Perhaps not unsurprisingly, the HMRC are very quick to respond to people who say they owe them tax, you will be greeted with a demand very shortly! :D

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Perhaps not unsurprisingly, the HMRC are very quick to respond to people who say they owe them tax, you will be greeted with a demand very shortly! :D
I have already paid the VAT to HMRC you must do this before you can register with DVLA.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
if you are really lucky you might get it registered by March.:)
I was lucky Lenny, using your advice and others I was registered in 10 working days after landing in the UK. It can be done with good preparation, and I think sending a complete listed lettter to the DVLA explaining every issue made life simpler. And of course a bit of luck.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Best I have ever done was 12 hours, imported into Dover at 2am, drove up to Stoke, put rear foglight bulb in opposite side and beam benders fitted bought on ferry. MOT in Stoke and then straight to DVLA local office in Manchester (now closed), paperwork done, road tax paid, registration papers received and number plates on same night. It was so simple before they closed down the local offices, but I did have the last import on the road in 10 days, including snail mail to darkest Swansea.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Best I have ever done was 12 hours, imported into Dover at 2am, drove up to Stoke, put rear foglight bulb in opposite side and beam benders fitted bought on ferry. MOT in Stoke and then straight to DVLA local office in Manchester (now closed), paperwork done, road tax paid, registration papers received and number plates on same night. It was so simple before they closed down the local offices, but I did have the last import on the road in 10 days, including snail mail to darkest Swansea.
That was in the good old days before they closed local offices. No one's better organized then me...I arrange mot station check for the day arrive home with van. Paperwork in post that day to VCA. Last time was a complete cock up and DVLA took over 6 weeks. The average a month....

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Took me around 2 weeks although van was brought into UK dec 14 ish ,tested next day and paperwork submitted around Jan 6 ish -no point before with xmas post -Came back last week ish
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back