Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
getting off the ferry early morning, anyone know of a stopover near the ferry terminal so we can get a kip before heading over to Parc Verger

dethleff

Free Member
Aug 21, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
15 years
Hi
I stay on the ferry terminal when arriving at about 2am.

When you drive off ferry carry on till you reach first island, go all the way round, follow sign as if you were going to catch the ferry back,but bear RIGHT you will come to a enormous parking site under height barrier (its ok its very high) sounds complicated but its not.

Always had a very quiet night there.
Regards
Stan

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
All depends how safe you want to be and how far you are be prepared to travel off the boat......
if you have "All the Aires France" by vicarious books....no36, Arques, in the book Northern France.
if not just put rue Michelin, Arques,......near St Omer
in your sat nav and you will find it ok, in Arques you will also see signs for campingcar/motorhome just keep following them through the housing estate it may look a bit odd at first but it is ok.........coming back when you leave,..... near the railway line,... you will go left on the one way system for about several hundred meters at the end of that road just turn right and you are back on the road you came in on.
hope you enjoy and bon voyage

You would like the Aire at Arques..... 48km (30miles) from Calais ferry to the site at Arques rue Michelet....quiet, accept for a odd train, lovely surroundings lakes for fishing, trees, parks and walks, hard standings,..... you go left and around the back of the office to the site, there is a Bourne just in front of the office on the left (euro relay for water),water, grey water, and toilet waste dump, you are only allowed two hours where the bourne is so don't stop longer.
you can pay at the office when you go in, but depending what time you arrive they could be closed just go onto the site around the back along side of two lakes and at the end is the parking /Aire, you could then pay when you leave or if you stop all day or longer as we did the man comes along at 7.00pm to lock the gate to the park and trout pond and collects money that has not been paid

We called for 1 night and stopped three and could have stopped for more.....it is nice Aire

But we had to get home for a wedding anniversary......we went to Arques for the present for the anniversary ARQUES is the world famous glass ware and at the top side of the village is ARQUES factory, and factory shop, plenty of parking front and back of the shop for motorhomes. lovely glassware

this site is only 40 miles from our home... we will be calling a lot more now we have seen it and stopped.

From Mel in France

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
found the ferry terminal a bit noisy, too many trucks, but often used Grande Fort Phillipe about 10 kms south/west on the coast
TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL
park up in the square or by the river, not been for a few years mind, but you could also stock up at the Super-U at the town - or there's an Auchan not far away on the way to auto-route

if you want a campsite there is a municipal there but we've never used it, looks a good location tho

ned

Free Member
May 18, 2008
Funster No
Dunkirque

Hi,

I think you mean Gravlines, which if you hit the roundabout after the terminal and turn right you will find three Aires and a campsite. The Fort Phillipe aire is new and on the side of the canal/harbour. Don't park on the space adjacient to the small marina as the boaters and fishermen get arsie. There is space on the otherside of the road facing the marina. This is free just go to campingcarinfos and look it up and put it into your satnav. There is another in the square near the campsite and another in the dunes north of Gravlines although I have not used this. Gravlines is anice place, very quiet and has a small shopping square and some lovely walks. Quite an underrated spot really!!!!

Cheers..... Ned

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
we used to park along canal harbour - on whichever side looked quietest, but it was a couple of years ago. Have noticed that as the motorhomes proliferate [ especially the biggies] locals are getting less tolerant. we've a van conversion and don't really stand out as campers so maybe we get away with a lot??
Gravelines is the one with the town square area? they seem to do a lot of roadworks around it in the off season.
[couldn't recommend the campsites there - I think ACSI've pulled their rating from them - good location but.. .. ..]

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Tick is asking about Dunkerque, you all seem to be talking about Calais, or am I reading it wrong ? therei s a large car park at Dunkerque on the sea front used by motorhomes, there is a Monument there to the D Day landings, water is available and also a toilet dump if you lift the manhole cover in front of the public toilets when these are closed in the evening, If no one else posts the directions to the Aire I will find them in my book and post them later.:thumb::thumb:

rannndy

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Venlo NL
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
dunkerque beach is closed, their is a height barrier there now. follow the road over the bridge about 100 meters on the right hand site is the camper place. was their in june.

May 22, 2008
Funster No
OK Rannndy thanks I used to love the parking at the beach, used it for several years is the new place free or not,??:cry::cry::cry:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I have just had a close up look at the new Aire at Dunkerque using Google Maps , and it looks good, be trying it soon Yippee,:thumb::thumb:

Travel Lightly

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Co. Tipperary, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
three years
Tick is asking about Dunkerque, you all seem to be talking about Calais, or am I reading it wrong ? therei s a large car park at Dunkerque on the sea front used by motorhomes, there is a Monument there to the D Day landings, water is available and also a toilet dump if you lift the manhole cover in front of the public toilets when these are closed in the evening, If no one else posts the directions to the Aire I will find them in my book and post them later.:thumb::thumb:

We were there two weeks ago, a great little place and free.

The way we went was just follow the directions for the WW2 museum and it is right there beside it, well, just across the road. I have it on my GPS for the next time we go there:winky:

sersol

Free Member
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
Hi sorry to be stupid but I have been looking on Google earth and can only see the old camper park,is the new one near here?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi sorry to be stupid but I have been looking on Google earth and can only see the old camper park,is the new one near here?

Hi Sersol,

Google earth is a fine "tool" for viewing.Look at Pearl Harbour when you get a chance...

Some of the aerial views are well out of date though.

Our village was only updated in the last few months after showing a pic some 7 years out of date....:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back