Highest Motorhome-accessible sites in French Alps (1 Viewer)

Graham Nash

Free Member
Jan 30, 2016
North West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Rather foolishly came up with the idea of trying to stay at the three highest campsites in France - in altitude terms, that is, not substance-induced! We have a Roller-Team 600 measuring 7.5 metres including bike rack. Wondered if anyone could point us in the right direction with suggested sites to which we could get in July/August. Thanks all.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello and welcome Graham

Interesting first post, I have no answers, but will add a word of caution

A couple of years back I read a post on here from someone who had gone really high up in the alps, then broke down, found out the recovery insurance cover he had would not turn out above certain heights

Can't recall the details now but a useful word of caution hopefully

Have fun if you try, watch out on the way down (y) going up might be a slog, your brakes may not cope with the return :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Take a look at Campercontact - each site/Aire has reviews from 'real' users who have visited.
Ease of access, if s problem is likely to be mentioned

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Not sure but I think Val Thoren is one of the three. We've stayed there in the motorhome in the winter when skiing many times can get bloody cold saw minus 26C one year.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Rather foolishly came up with the idea of trying to stay at the three highest campsites in France

What a brilliant idea.

Whilst on this quest get to Chamonix and go up The Aiguile du Midi, 12,000 feet and seriously spectacular.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can't help but this is the highest in Spain :

Camping Las Corralizas, 1730m but I am sure France has higher ones!

19223812552_a801815eb6_o_d.jpg

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
We did some high Alp passes in Sept 2013. This included the highest paved mountain pass in the Alps the Col de I'lseran. One of the best holidays we have had with fantastic scenery and some tricky hairpin bends.
We did Aires as aposed to campsites and as already mentioned be careful of burning your brakes out coming down the mountains, you will soon learn all about engine braking and using low gears!!!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Graham Nash

Graham Nash

Free Member
Jan 30, 2016
North West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks to everyone - both for the welcome and the advice/suggestions. I have always thought that the 'downs' would be scarier than the 'ups' and this seems to confirm it. I don't suppose dragging an anchor is permissible on French roads!? I'll do some more research and report back. Cheers. Graham & Val

evira

Free Member
Oct 22, 2015
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
since 2002
there is a camper stop on the wee St Bernard right at the top, a roman temple and WW2 stuff as well. the col de l'iseran is very, very high but worth the trek.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back