Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I collected the van from storage yesterday and, as expected, the battery was completely flat. Never mind I thought, I'll use the brand new, never been used, jump leads I bought from Ebay - battery clamp fell apart immediately.

I was wondering what Funsters think of these jump starter battery packs? Will they actually start a 2.3 litre diesel engine? Loads available on Amazon and not expensive, so long as they do the job.

Paul

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Being the 'master' of flat batteries over recent years I have looked at them, but avoided buying, we did have one years ago, but it never worked for us, always resorted to putting car on charge for a few hours

That doesn't help you when in storage or when on a non hook up site (aires and CL's etc) where I always saved my issues for :)

I bought a decent set of jump leads from ebay, cost over £60, and they do seem really good, but I bought mine hoping to be able to hook up to my leisure batteries, I hade bought extra length cable just for that. Then found I cant get the clips over the terminals so would have to remove the battery (leisure) which is too much trouble

On that occasion, my last flat battery (touch wood) we got a jump start from a French car using the jump leads, went fist time

On an earlier occasion we had every combination, a nice French man ran his generator on an aire and gave us a hook up, but priority went to charging leisure first, so took a while, then a UK MHer offered his jump start box, looked tiny, but we had been on charge for 20 minutes, so tried it and it went first time, just as the RAC organised French recovery lorry turned up. He still insisted on carrying a large battery and jump leads over despite my best attempt to say it is already running. We then had much shoulder shrugging when he realised

In summary, I reckon they might be perfect if the engine has run recently, but probably little use in your example where it has been stood for weeks (y)

I still haven't bought one, but have bought a new cab battery :)

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i can make a set of jump leads with anderson plugs on fit anderson plugs to your batteries and use them

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the replies. My problems usually occur when I go to collect the van from storage so I could always have the jump starter ready to go.

I watched the video, all interesting stuff.

I notice that Jim now puts a list of 'similar threads' after each post, very useful

Paul

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Jump leads from Halfords ( the best they do ) and a Sealey Pro starter pack has kept everything in the family started for the past 7 years.
Yes, the pack will easily start a 2.8 litre diesel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My problems usually occur when I go to collect the van from storage so I could always have the jump starter ready to go.
Paul

That is totally the wrong way to go about it. You are destroying your battery by keep letting it go flat. Disconnect the battery. If you can fit one use a switch.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Beat me to it Brian.

Plus, I doubt a boost pack would be any use with a completely dead battery.
Most only use a 17ah battery....a fifth of most car batteries...and the dead battery will suck that in no time trying to recharge itself.
They work best on a battery which JUST doesnt have enough power to spin the engine.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I have a jump start pack from maplins largest one fully charged, it would not start MH, I have have jump leads which I made from traction battery cables never fails to start.

Hobbytwo

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby750
Exp
Since 2008
My answer to this is to purchase a free standing small solar panel, wired (via a fuse) and placed inside on the dashboard parallel to the windscreen and connected directly on to your starter battery. Ours remains in storage outside and fortunately is parked facing forward into the sun.....when it's out of course! As already said batteries dropping below 12v does them no good at all, and since installing my panel it maintains a minimum average of around 12.4v to 12.7v

Reactions: DBK

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Take a look at these. Lepower 750amp starter, a bit bigger than a mobile phone but packs a big punch. Have seen one start a RV and the battery's in the RV would not even light up the dash.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Take a look at these. Lepower 750amp starter, a bit bigger than a mobile phone but packs a big punch. Have seen one start a RV and the battery's in the RV would not even light up the dash.
750amp and the size of a mobile phone, I'll take 10 of them. ;)

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have a jump pack bought from halfords and it's great, it has jump cables, a12v socket, a USB charging socket and an air compressor.

Starts our 2.4 diesel no problem.

I have on in my truck and that starts God knows how many litres of Volvo FH

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years

I was also there shocked when it started the RV going to order one when I get back to the UK .

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I would research why the battery is going flat whilst in storage. Something is draining it, maybe the alarm system?
Mine started first turn after three months last weekend, but its a simple Ford chassis with no added alarms trackers etc.
In a past life I had a Porsche and that would go flat as you watched, far too fancy security on the thing, hopeless, couldn't really leave it at an airport for a couple of weeks and have any confidence in it starting and your fellow motorists were not renown for assisting that particular car brand!! The dealers just said that's how it is, maybe now they are better.

If your in a storage yard surely you can get your car near to the van and then use decent jump leads to start the van.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I was also there shocked when it started the RV going to order one when I get back to the UK .

Ordered mine the next day Paul and ready and waiting back home if ever I need it.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Ducato with alarm will last about three weeks. I have one 100 amp solar panel check the vehicle weekly all ways full charge. I do however carry a boost pack when away 12/24 volt Clarke model. will start a dead truck. But allways keep it charged on mains, never use the in car charger.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back