Travelling to Europe (1 Viewer)

Nov 17, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600L
Exp
2 Years
I have noticed in a number of threads the requirement to take certain documents when you travel to Europe.
V5C - I have the original of this
Certificate of Insurance - my insurers no longer sends a hard copy, I can access it on the web site, download and print - is a home printed copy acceptable.
MOT - my garage has taken to emailing a copy - ditto question above

Finally, does anyone know, or, know where I could check, if electronic copies are acceptable (on my iPad)?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My understanding is that the insurance document has to be the original, by all means photocopy everything for reference but keep the original with you and in a safe place.

Martin

Upvote 0

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
I just take electronic copies of my documents which I've emailed to myself, you have your passport with you for them to be checked against so I can't see the need for anything more?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Like others our insurances are all done online these days so printed copies are all we take.
Just as a handy identity card as I hate carrying my passport everywhere, I have scanned our passports then reduced the image and printed it in colour and finally laminated it. That is, of course, the page with the photo that makes me look like an ardent criminal.

Upvote 0

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
If printed on a reasonable quality printer no-one can tell whether you printed it or the insurance company. I print our insurance certificate from the insurer's email or web page and I also have copies and scans of V5 and MOT just in case the originals are lost. I've never been asked for anything other than a couple of spot checks for insurance in 20 years of travelling through Europe in cars, motorcycles and now a motorhome.

Upvote 0

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We take all originals as above +EHIC card and have paper copies of all of them plus copies stored on cloud. Our passport copy has been accepted several times. Saves digging the originals out of the hidey hole.

Upvote 0

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
We take all originals as above +EHIC card and have paper copies of all of them plus copies stored on cloud. Our passport copy has been accepted several times. Saves digging the originals out of the hidey hole.

We don't get clouds in Malta!
2016-01-29 14.52.07.jpg

So I just take photocopies.

Terry

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We each have an A5 sheet with reduced copies of our passport, EHIC, list of medications, contact numbers (inc doctor) which we carry with us. On the back we have the registration number and we write the location of the motorhome next to the date.

I worry that it might be a god-send to thieves but it does provide an assurance that quick and appropriate action might be taken if something goes wrong.

CLEARLY, this is not a requirement for travelling abroad :LOL: - Gordon

Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
Print out for me also. OP, you mention your MOT getting e mailed to you. All teh garage does now is stick a sheet of A4 in the printer and and print that off. If your lucky he may sign it Lol so your printed e mail is no different. Oh and i have been traveling into mainland Europe for about 25 years and yet to be asked for documents apart from passports and printed off ferry bookings. Dont stress just get over and enjoy. The police over there and not different from here, act like a diddy you get treated like a diddy.

Upvote 0

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
@ parknride......What a great pic!

Thanks Just taken it on my tablet, then Dolly the cat went and rolled over in her "safe" igloo and fell on the floor (she was perched on one of those clothes airers) and bolted into the van under a chair with me on the other end of her lead. Hope nobody had a video on us !!

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
We always have the original green card with us. At a border crossing going into Montenegro the car in front was a hire car which only had photocopies. The border Guard showed them our green card saying that only originals were acceptable. Their option was to buy insurance costing 50 euros or turn back and drive through Serbia. The hirecompany was at fault as they would have known the countries the car was driving through. If at all possible have the originals with you.

Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
We always have the original green card with us. At a border crossing going into Montenegro the car in front was a hire car which only had photocopies. The border Guard showed them our green card saying that only originals were acceptable. Their option was to buy insurance costing 50 euros or turn back and drive through Serbia. The hirecompany was at fault as they would have known the countries the car was driving through. If at all possible have the originals with you.

The problem mate is a lot of insurance company's have stopped issuing them. Im sure mainland Europe we would be fine but heading further east i would be looking into it more. I dare say some day soon the police could do a in car check and tell if foreign visitors have all the insurance, licence needed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NickA
Nov 17, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600L
Exp
2 Years
Thanks to all who replied - home printed copies it is then (along with a copy on my iPad!)
Thanks again

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back