France to Spain stopover. (1 Viewer)

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
On our way to Spain, not on a popular route, but some things we wanted to see( Oradour sur Glane and Carcassone to name two) We are travelling Calais- Le Mans-Poitiers- Limoge- Toulouse- Narbonne way. Camp sites in winter in France that are open are notoriously difficult to find. However after a couple of nights on aires, we came across "Parc Verger" Le Poteau, 8710 Champagnac La Riviere, France or website www.parcverger.com We intended to stop here for one or two nights but are still here after nine. Originally designed as an RV stop we were given the warmest of welcomes by the new owners, Franc and Lisa, offered a huge full service pitch with 16amp electrics for 18 euros per night ( less if you stay longer). Toilet bock that is spotless with loads of hot water, laundry at reasonable rates and Free wi fi in your van. The owners are more than helpful and nothing is too much trouble for them. Might be worth putting in your notebooks, particularly if you wish to visit Oradour sur Glane. The area is beautiful and with two large German Shepherds to cater for walks, it is ideal for dog owners.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Welcome to our little corner of France, we are just two and a half Km down the cycle track from Parc Verger

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We've come mainly down the Atlantic coast as far as La Rochelle. We are now heading towards the med coast and Spain so our routes should converge around Toulouse. We too have used a mixture of Aires and campsites. Currently spending 2 nights at a campsite called Le Pression just north of St Emillion. Similar welcome to yours with all facilities and even got a small discount with our ACSI card. We visited Oradour sur Glane a few years ago. A very sad place, but definitely a pilgrimage to make.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
If you want to visit carcasonne we stayed on the aire which is 4 mins walk to the entrance to the city quite level and parking for around 100 vans it is barrier access and pay by credit card on way out.

OP
OP
Humsafer
Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Thanks Polar Bear, will try that one . Off to Toulouse tomorrow and Carcassonne Mon/Tuesday or whenever.
Thanks Laneside, must have walked past your house with the dogs, do you know Franc and Lisa.
Hi Mustaphapint Stopping at Camping Toulouse Le Rupe, look out for a Bailey Autograph 765 with two German Shepherds in it

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Thanks Polar Bear, will try that one . Off to Toulouse tomorrow and Carcassonne Mon/Tuesday or whenever.
Thanks Laneside, must have walked past your house with the dogs, do you know Franc and Lisa.
Hi Mustaphapint Stopping at Camping Toulouse Le Rupe, look out for a Bailey Autograph 765 with two German Shepherds in it

Oh yes we know Franc and Lisa and it is due to stopping on Parc Verger that we opted to buy a house in this area and spend much of our retirement here. Enjoy your trip

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Camping Toulouse Le Rupe

Errrrr...... would give a miss to this one PLEASE!!!! I know this area and if you want a stopover , just go a few kms more and I'll be there for a safer place to stop!!!

I'll be working but you are big boy/girl I guess . Just get in touch with PM (inbox , "start a new conversation" button)

Amicalement

Frankie

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Camping du Lac de la Thésauque

Nice one, next to a lake , rather quiet if no wedding at the restaurant next to the camping. Usually lots of cars parked along the way with kids on bikes , so do drive slowly when approaching the camp site.

I haven't seen the shower blocks for a long time , they used to be prefab.

Enjoy
!

Amicalement

Frankie:)

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Errrrr...... would give a miss to this one PLEASE!!!! I know this area and if you want a stopover , just go a few kms more and I'll be there for a safer place to stop!!!

I'll be working but you are big boy/girl I guess . Just get in touch with PM (inbox , "start a new conversation" button)

Amicalement

Frankie
The comments on trip advisor put us off. Thanks for the confirmation. I hope humsafer sees your warning.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Parc Verger is very well known amongst the R-V fraternity, Bob and Di who started it where R-V owners. Excellent Place to stop. Been 3 times up to 09.

Pete

OP
OP
Humsafer
Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Having been warned off Camping Toulouse de la Rupe as being in a high crime risk area. We were invited to stay with Another funster at their private home in Toulouse. How nice to be invited, given a spacious pitch with electric along with a warm welcome. Frankie even cracked open a bottle of champagne to welcome us . How nice that such people still exist in our modern world. Thank you very, very much Frankie. I hope one day we can return the favour.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi you 2+ the fury ones lol !

Happy you made it to Perpignan alright!
Elne used to be a nice and quiet village. I used to go there too during summer holidays. I'm sure it hasn't changed much, and that you'll be fine there.

I'll enter your phone number in my contacts so I can have fresh news now and then!

Safe and happy travels !

Amicalement

Frankie:)

OP
OP
Humsafer
Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
"Avez vous le rendezvous" was wrong, what was the correct expression you gave us.
Fred

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Lac de la Thesauque is a good stopover just south of Toulouse. Open all year round. 13 euros for a pitch or use the car park as an aire out of season for 6 euros.

I don't think it is only out of season, as I use it nearly all year when I want to get away from my place. I find it so convenient: restaurant , (bar in summer) and some nice walk around the lake! But I might be mistaken, as I never go in August.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Just found these pics I had of it and it's open all year except july and august. So 10 months out of 12 , not too bad!
copie du 7 06 2015 incluant aout 2014 hiver 2014 twin Lakes et+ 004.JPG
copie du 7 06 2015 incluant aout 2014 hiver 2014 twin Lakes et+ 005.JPG
copie du 7 06 2015 incluant aout 2014 hiver 2014 twin Lakes et+ 008.JPG

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We are now at camping-car park Aire at La Barcares near Perpignan. Weather has been sunny but very windy tonight. The Aire is open all year round and looks like it has room for over 100 vans as opposed to 8 or so here tonight. Wifi and services included for around 9 Euros a night. It's within walking distance of various restaurants and bars but not many open at the moment.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Spent many a day at Port Bacares ,way way back (in another lifetime :)) lovely place .
Was first introduced to Rivesaltes Muscat one of the best I have tasted.
There use to be a little shop just off the square take your own bottles and have a refill out of the barrel.(y) happy days .
Enjoy your tour .

OP
OP
Humsafer
Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Hi Musthaphapint
we are at camping Le Florida ,St Cyprian. n42.36, 26" e2.59, 28". bit more expensive but we have taken up the ACSI offer of 17 euros plus buy six and get seven nights. Nice safe site with very good facilities, 10amps and free wifi. Site shop and café currently being rebuilt but there is a shopping centre with all you want 300mtr down the road . It also has good space adjacent for the dogs and having two big ones means it is the first thing we (but not everyone) require. Will check out your spot on Google earth but likely to be here for 14 days. Like you only 12 vans here last night, one of them British from our home town of Lincoln.
Cheers Fred

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Perhaps a little late as the OPs have obviously been given good advice but we stayed at Camping Le Rupe, Toulouse, in late 2014.

We would echo those warning people off this site. A small area was of an acceptable standard but the majority was very unkempt. Pitches were on packed earth, there were many very old caravans with makeshift canvas awnings, cars up on bricks and gypsy type families in residence.

We have stayed on many sites over the years but this was one of the few that made us feel so uneasy that we left the next morning, and never got the chance to visit Toulouse which was our original reason for stopping.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Hi Musthaphapint
we are at camping Le Florida ,St Cyprian. n42.36, 26" e2.59, 28". bit more expensive but we have taken up the ACSI offer of 17 euros plus buy six and get seven nights. Nice safe site with very good facilities, 10amps and free wifi. Site shop and café currently being rebuilt but there is a shopping centre with all you want 300mtr down the road . It also has good space adjacent for the dogs and having two big ones means it is the first thing we (but not everyone) require. Will check out your spot on Google earth but likely to be here for 14 days. Like you only 12 vans here last night, one of them British from our home town of Lincoln.
Cheers Fred
Thanks for the info Fred but we're moving on to Spain today. We should pass by you in about 30 minutes. Planning on heading for a site at l"Estartit tonight.
Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back