Getting axles weighed at weighbridge (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
My local weighbridge has a ramp on each side. I'd read that for accurate readings the weighbridge should have level approaches. I've been doing some experiments with a wooden box (actually one of my bookshelf speakers!) and some kitchen scales. I'm finding the differences between level and angled readings (eight degrees) to be less than 2 percent. This was over several readings averaged. I'm sure that with the rear wheels at the end of the ramp (just before the weigh plate) the MH would be at less than eight degrees. Can someone offer any mathematical explanation of why it is so bad to use a weighbridge with an angled approach. I can appreciate it depends on the angle. Maybe I'll check the inclination next time I use that particular weighbridge.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Quite simply the weight transfers to the lowest wheels relative to the inclination, so if you just put the front axle on and left the rear down the slope and then did the same with the rear you could be out a bit, if you weight the whole thing and then take one axle just off the plate you can't be far off at all.

Martin

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Don't worry, a small lift will move the centre of gravity slightly further away from the end which has been raised but unless the weighbridge is on a massive raised plinth I would guess the error would be less than one percent. I could do the sums but it isn't worth it for such a small discrepancy.

To give you an idea imagine a long ladder lying on the ground. Let's say the c of g will be in the middle of the ladder. Now raise one end of the ladder six inches. Because the ladder is pivoting around the other end the c of g will move back a bit but only a fraction and the end of the ladder will still feel the same. Even at an angle of 45 degrees the weight will have only reduced by about 30%.

If you can, weigh each axle then the whole MH and from the latter you will be able to see if anything was lost, but I suspect the margin of error from the scales will be greater!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just done a few sums. If the MH has a wheelbase of 5m and you raise one axle by 100mm then the c of g will move back by about 9mm. (had to dust off my sines and cosines for that one!)

A rough and ready look at the impact on axle weights suggests a reduction on the raised axle of 0.3% which isn't worth worrying about. The angle incidentally of the MH I calculated as 1.15 degrees.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for the replies. That means I don't have to look out for another (flat) weighbridge!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just done a few sums. If the MH has a wheelbase of 5m and you raise one axle by 100mm then the c of g will move back by about 9mm. (had to dust off my sines and cosines for that one!)

A rough and ready look at the impact on axle weights suggests a reduction on the raised axle of 0.3% which isn't worth worrying about. The angle incidentally of the MH I calculated as 1.15 degrees.

Are you bored ? :) Snowed in ?:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

Despite what Gus says:D thanks a lot DBK Our local weighbridge does have a small incline and each time I've done the weigh I've flapped about the accuracy. For putting my mind at rest 12 beers of varying types should we meet somewhere in Espana.(y)

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Just take the bloody axles off, weigh them, replace job done!!!

Not very helpful, I suppose...

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I weighed mine on a weighbridge at a customers site close to us, they have a ramp nearly 1m high to accommodate the gubbins at floor level underneath the plate

it more or less confirms all above, we had a total weight of roughly 10% more than the sum of both axles which would have been offset by the effect of the slope (y)

I cant find my notes now, but did put a thread on at the time, will go off on a search for that now :) cant do the maths but can search :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Not wishing to be pedantic but don't you need to know the vertical position of the centre of gravity to do the calculation as the higher it is from the base line the greater the effect will be, either way I don't dispute it will make little difference, just thought the little grey cells might want more exercise!

Martin

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Not wishing to be pedantic but don't you need to know the vertical position of the centre of gravity to do the calculation as the higher it is from the base line the greater the effect will be, either way I don't dispute it will make little difference, just thought the little grey cells might want more exercise!

Martin

Go have a drink old friend...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Martin
You're right of course, I just took it as halfway between the axles and at ground level, which it isn't but good enough for government work as the saying goes.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Listen you lot. One gram either way might be ok for you furriners! In Yarkshire it as t be "cock on" d'int tha nose!

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back