LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
This morning whilst on my laptop the cursor is moving around as though someone else is using it :( then it stops dead and i cant budge it . i have shut it down and restarted it twice . ANYONE KNOW what could be using it and any remedies much appreciated Thanks
Kate x

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Some possible causes and cures here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...40865-d794-4666-baaa-66538f71af64?db=5&auth=1

If you are using a mouse, disconnect it and then start the laptop and see if it works fine with just using the pad, if so then the mouse could just need a clean - the 'light' underneath can get dirty and confuse it (on the old style mouse we used at work to often have to take the ball out from underneath and give it a good rub to get the muck off! :X3: ).

If that doesn't work try some of the suggestions listed.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Is the cursor following your hand movements, but with a delay?

If so it would suggest the computer is 'busy' with something in the background, possibly a large update or full virus scan, or maybe the start up process has been slowed by something? Have you installed something new on it recently?

Minxy Girls' mouse fault suggestion is also worth looking into if you're using a mouse. If you've got the ball type mouse get the ball out, clean it, then also carefully scrape the accumulated cack off the roller switches inside. If you have another mouse try plugging it into your laptop and see if the problems persist.

If you're using a touchpad you could try plugging a mouse in to see if it's any better. Only other suggestion would be to look in the Accessibility options and see if the cursor response settings have been changed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
I had similar after I had downloaded an app on laptop. After deleting it and associated files in library folder the problem thankfully disappeared.

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Thanks Bill is going to have a good look at it tonight thanks for all your advice he will work through what you have suggested x
Kate

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I must admit that 'old style' mouse cleaning at work could create' some merriment ... especially if one of the bosses came in and asked what we were up to and we replied "my mouse's ball needs cleaning" ... :D

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I must admit that 'old style' mouse cleaning at work could create' some merriment ... especially if one of the bosses came in and asked what we were up to and we replied "my mouse's ball needs cleaning" ... :D

I was responsible for a classroom of 30 computers, so my response to management could be more direct - Balls.

My mice we routinely castrated by thieving little toerags. I had to keep a box of spare mouse balls for emergency surgery.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I was responsible for a classroom of 30 computers, so my response to management could be more direct - Balls.

My mice we routinely castrated by thieving little toerags. I had to keep a box of spare mouse balls for emergency surgery.
I suppose you could have done a 'ball' inspection at the end of each class to make sure they were all still there ... but might have raised a few eyebrows if it got back to the Headmaster/mistress!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I suppose you could have done a 'ball' inspection at the end of each class to make sure they were all still there ...

With some classes that was standard procedure, believe me.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Is it a Dell laptop by any chance? If so then it's a known issue -ours does the same. Google 'Dell wandering mouse' for more info. The most sensible fix I've seen it to plug in a separate mouse but that's a bit tricky if you're using your laptop on your lap!

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Is it a Dell laptop by any chance? If so then it's a known issue -ours does the same. Google 'Dell wandering mouse' for more info. The most sensible fix I've seen it to plug in a separate mouse but that's a bit tricky if you're using your laptop on your lap!
The older dell laptops with the button in the middle of the keyboard had this problem,you could try and disable it in the bios if this is a dell laptop,our cure as users was to lift up the keyboard and snip the narrow ribbon cable to said button.Pete(ex dcse)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back